Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Stone Markings

Options
  • 24-10-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if these markings on a stone I saw in the front of a house in the west of the county mean anything.

House Stone.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

denismac wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if these markings on a stone I saw in the front of a house in the west of the county mean anything.

House Stone.JPG

i,m also a bit curious so i thought i might bump this.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Thanks for the interest. I also put this query on the Archaeology forum but not had any success there either. I don't even know if its an original stone from that house but the fact that is is given such prominence suggests it might have some significant meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Dick Cronin, Clare Co. Co. Architectural Officer should know if anyone does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

There is a FB page called "Ennis Share your old pics" i would ask there answers are normally fairly quick in coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Your picture shows that the marking is certainly not ancient but brand new. So no point to ask Dick Cronin who is usually too busy anyway to respond to minor questions ...

It's usually a traditional sign of a handyman who did the work, a sign of pride, and rightly so if he is a proper craftsman, like hallmarks on jewellery. Well, that's the way in the rest of Europe at least.

It might as well be one of those cryptic signs the ESB or Eircom might leave on certain house markings.

Or maybe the owners tried to make a personal statement which is an enigma to everyone else?

Of course I'm intrigued, too. But the easiest way to find out is to ask the owners of that house.

not exactly ancient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Carry wrote: »
    Your picture shows that the marking is certainly not ancient but brand new. So no point to ask Dick Cronin who is usually too busy anyway to respond to minor questions ...

It's usually a traditional sign of a handyman who did the work, a sign of pride, and rightly so if he is a proper craftsman, like hallmarks on jewellery. Well, that's the way in the rest of Europe at least.

It might as well be one of those cryptic signs the ESB or Eircom might leave on certain house markings.

Or maybe the owners tried to make a personal statement which is an enigma to everyone else?

Of course I'm intrigued, too. But the easiest way to find out is to ask the owners of that house.

Dick Cronon may or may not be "too busy" but I'm sure he is interested in this type of display!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

The original owners of this house are RIP unfortunately. It has been vacant for quite a while now so I wouldn't know who is responsible for it. The letters don't spell the initials of the previous owners though as far as I know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I know a lot of buildings have Ordinate Survey markings (bolt in the wall), they might be something to do with that?

Advertisement