Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumble Dryer Dies after 20 months

Options
  • 24-10-2014 2:13pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bought a tumble dryer in 2012.

Every time we turn it on it trips the switch. Had someone out to look at it and says water is leaking causing it to trip. The repair man says this is a common problem.

Comes with a 12 month warranty but surely it could be expected to last longer than that?

Do I have any recourse with the seller or manufacturer?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Go back to the manufaturer. Normally their guarantee is for 2 years as standard on appliances such as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly, 12 month manufacturer's warranty is common for tumble dryer. Secondly, it is the retailler who should be contacted under consumer law.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

spoken to both. They are not interested

You can reasonably expect more than 20 months from a tumble dryer. Go back to the retailer and lodge a small claims court action if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

The reason it is tripping is that there is an Earth Leakage and it is tripping the ELCB

I am not going to recommend you do this test but this is a test I do in this scenario ( I am an Electrical Engineer by Qualification but never worked at it )

Open the plug and disconnect the Earth Wire from the pin that goes into the socket. Close the plug and plug in. I would make sure NOT TO TOUCH the tumble dryer during this experiment!!!! If possible, in fact I would switch it on via MCB at the Consumer Unit.

It general will see that it does not trip. The fault, in this case, is faulty Capacitor that does not cancel out Inductive phase shift on the Consumption by the dryer . ..

An Electrician should be able to diagnose and fix quite easily without massive cost . . .

Forget the Warranty . . . not worth the trouble . . .

Again do not do the test above yourself - the Electrician would understand what I am testing there and would know the precautions to take. . .

Gordon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks Gordon but I don't think that is the issue.

If left to dry it works. A couple of loads in water from the condenser gathers at the bottom of the drum gets blown on to the heather and causes it to trip.

Apperantley it's q common fault with condenser dryers.

The lad I had out checked heather, thermostat etc and found nothing wrong but the contacts were wet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does the condensor need to be manually emptied or is it plumbed?

If the former, its not unreasonable to expect you to empty it every time unfortunately.

MYOB wrote: »
    Does the condensor need to be manually emptied or is it plumbed?

If the former, its not unreasonable to expect you to empty it every time unfortunately.

I don't get your second bit?

It's manually emptied when it promts you to do it usually every cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

This used to happen to consensor drying I had.

Have you tried cleaning the condensor ?

You should be able to take it and and clear all the fluff off it it, some will possibly be wet and glued to condensor.

Clean it off and dry it and try again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

godtabh wrote: »
    I don't get your second bit?

It's manually emptied when it promts you to do it usually every cycle

You're saying that after a few loads, water gathers - if its being emptied every cycle that'd suggest there's a leak in the tray or pipes going to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Still the same problem though . . . Earth Leakage due to moisture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

You should contact the retailer and quote EU directive 1999/44/EC, specifically point 17 :
    Whereas it is appropriate to limit in time the period during which the seller is liable for any lack of conformity which exists at the time of delivery of the goods; whereas Member States may also provide for a limitation on the period during which consumers can exercise their rights, provided such a period does not expire within two years from the time of delivery; whereas where, under national legislation, the time when a limitation period starts is not the time of delivery of the goods, the total duration of the limitation period provided for by national law may not be shorter than two years from the time of delivery

And Article 5 section 1:
    The seller shall be held liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods. If, under national legislation, the rights laid down in Article 3(2) are subject to a limitation period, that period shall not expire within a period of two years from the time of delivery.

You're saying that after a few loads, water gathers - if its being emptied every cycle that'd suggest there's a leak in the tray or pipes going to it?

We empty tray when the light comes on when it's meant to be full. Problem is it's not actually full

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

techdiver wrote: »
    You should contact the retailer and quote EU directive 1999/44/EC, specifically point 17 :

And Article 5 section 1:

Parts of the EU Directive were not enacted in Ireland, as our legislation provides greater protection. Contact the retailer and ask for redress under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act (i.e. Consumer Law in Ireland).

You are legally entitled to expect an item to last a "reasonable" time. If an item is faulty, you are entitled to a refund or replacement or repair. This assumes the fault is inherent in the device and was not caused through misuse or incorrect installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Have you been able to ascertain similar problems with the same model for other users through web searches etc?

20 months is a very short time for you to have an issue, even if it's the case that the dryer was getting a lot of use.

We had a similar issue a few years ago with a small gas cooker. Long story short, my in laws had bought it for their own use, elderly couple living alone, limited means, and the salesman recommended a less fashionable brand as a cheaper alternative for a cooker that would not be getting much use... It packed up after 2 years and it had nothing done. The retailer and the manufacturer wanted nothing to do with them. The retailer even asked what they expected when they bought a cheap brand!

It went on for months and we quoted all the legislation etc and nothing was moving. In the end, out of desperation as much as anything, I asked a solicitor friend to send them a letter, just very general. Presto, full credit for the cooker against a new one.

Stick with it.

We empty tray when the light comes on when it's meant to be full. Problem is it's not actually full

If you empty it after every single load does the problem vary at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

I never use a Dryer . . . I think they're a waste . . .

If you one room you can use as an Airing Room .. .

It will teach kids etc. to plan what they will wear as it will take longer for them to dry . . .

Reading through this thread be very careful - don't go messing with plugs and things sounds dangerous

GreenwayM wrote: »
    I never use a Dryer . . . I think they're a waste . . .

If you one room you can use as an Airing Room .. .

It will teach kids etc. to plan what they will wear as it will take longer for them to dry . . .

Reading through this thread be very careful - don't go messing with plugs and things sounds dangerous

That may be but the consumer issue is regarding rights of the consumer in the event of a dispute regarding a fault. The principle is the same be it a dryer, washing machine, cooker etc.

If you empty it after every single load does the problem vary at all?

When it drys out its fine for a couple of loads and then starts tripping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Has it been used a lot?

Would it be possible to get part fitted thats faulty even look up on this yourself as it may be a fix a diyer may be able to have a go at.

Is there away of fitting a pipe to drain as similar to a dehumidifier?

• Advertisement

When it drys out its fine for a couple of loads and then starts tripping again.

That's not quite what I was asking...

If you empty it after every single load, does it get damp in the first place?

That's not quite what I was asking...

If you empty it after every single load, does it get damp in the first place?

Given that the water container isnt 100% sealed it leaks after each cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Given that the water container isnt 100% sealed it leaks after each cycle.

Does the tank look something like this. If it does then it should be sealed. Replace the black rubber 'O' ring. Simples.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjwQSsTTBvXJOC_4ElV2dTqS6TF2qAUciu-y6uImHZRcAsIknr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Doesn't have to appear "full", only full enough to prevent the dryer working properly.

You should be emptying the condensate tank after every single cycle, along with cleaning the lint traps.

If nothing else, not doing so just causes the dryer to burn through more electricity.

You will also need to clean the physical condenser unit every 50 loads or so, as they can get pretty gunged up with lint and fluff especially if you haven't been cleaning the lint traps.

Remove the whole condenser and run the shower or a garden hose through it until all the gunge is washed out, then leave it to dry before replacing in the dryer.

If you don't do the above, the condenser can't "condense" the outgoing air quickly enough and the steamy air starts condensing within the dryer itself and when it starts settling on the innards, you get problems like you've been getting.

Advertisement