Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Publishing from Creative Writing - It can be Achieved!

Options
  • 24-12-2013 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I am writing this topic to say about how I started from a short story and managed to expand and develop it into a 115,000 word epic novel.

I find that Lovecraftian elements woven in with a cracking story can make for excellent reading. Civilization under attack or striving against the dangers of otherworldly forces really are underplayed in modern Dystopian fiction.

After the 1980s ended a lot of the raw energy of that time gave way and other genres took precedent. The Cold War ended etc.

Now though, with books like 'The Hunger Games' now becoming best-seller movies, a new generation is now coming of age. The 80s vibe is back again!

It was hard, hard work but I finally managed to get my book written, edited and published. But I struggled and eventually via the Amazon Kindle program it's selling ok.

One of the reason's I'm saying all this is because the story started on a forum like this one, just posting it each week adding a new comment with a few thousand words.

Eventually it became big enough to take a force of it's own... :)

Has anyone else started a published book from creative writing on forums? Or am I one of a few!??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I started one from a joke. I did a joke short story about how Sarah Palin was really a space vampire, my creative writing teacher told me to make a book of it. I did, and it make the quarter final of the ABNA, and was published.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

That's interesting. There was a similar thing I heard from someone who theorized that Bill Clinton was some kind of android along with his wife Hillary! :)

Advertisement