Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - who do I complain to?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have been registered to vote for years and my polling card didn't arrive this election. I went to my usual polling station and my name wasn't on the register.
    I have moved out from home 2/3 years ago so I thought I'd chance going to my new local polling station - no record of me there either.

I've no idea how I've jumped off the electorate but I'm rather irate that I'm not being afforded the opportunity to vote today.
    !
    Anyone know who I complain to? Seething :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

You're still registered to your old constituency/polling station, as well as your old address. You have to inform the voting registration of a change of address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Paul S wrote: »
    I have moved out from home 2/3 years ago so I thought I'd chance going to my new local polling station - no record of me there either.

Chances are that a family member might have filled out a register form without your name on it hence getting struck off.
    For example, I'm still on the register at my old address.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have moved out from home 2/3 years ago

and didn't think to update your polling details in all that time, complain to yourself, no one elses fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

and didn't think to update your polling details in all that time, complain to yourself, no one elses fault.

Quite. You can't really complain to anyone as it was you that moved, but didn't bother to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Paul S

I'm not permanently residing were i am so why would i register elsewhere? I've continued to express my right to vote in my home constituency since i turned if legal age to vote and I'm perfectly entitled to continue voting in that area. Neither I nor a family member filled out any paperwork in order for that to be changed. hence the reason I'm so annoyed by this. I'm perfectly entitled to continue voting in my home constituency, as a number of Irish people continue to do, yet somehow I've disappeared from the register and now reside in limbo for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I'm not permanently residing were i am so why would i register elsewhere? I've continued to express my right to vote in my home constituency since i turned if legal age to vote and I'm perfectly entitled to continue voting in that area. Neither I nor a family member filled out any paperwork in order for that to be changed. hence the reason I'm so annoyed by this. I'm perfectly entitled to continue voting in my home constituency, as a number of Irish people continue to do, yet somehow I've disappeared from the register and now reside in limbo for no apparent reason.

Your "home constituency" is where you live not where your parents live - that is where you are supposed to be registered and vote. Voting in a constituency that you are not entitled (e.g. you don't live there anymore) is technically electoral fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

He did say it is a temporary address, his permanent residence is where he is registered to vote.

I think he has a right to be angry and I'd be interested to know how his name was removed from the register.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

On the last Cencsus that was done, did you ensure that your parents have your name on your home address or did you fill out a census at your new temp address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Morphéus wrote: »
    On the last Cencsus that was done, did you ensure that your parents have your name on your home address or did you fill out a census at your new temp address?

Since when do census results be given to the Register of Electors?:confused:

I know someone who moved 3 addresses and is still on the first address despite giving correct info on the census form for the recent address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

I've always voted and didn't check the register before the deadline as I presumed the polling card would come as usual, it didn't and and I went to my polling station yesterday expecting to be still on the register to find that I wasn't. I have no idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Extinction wrote: »
    I've always voted and didn't check the register before the deadline as I presumed the polling card would come as usual, it didn't and and I went to my polling station yesterday expecting to be still on the register to find that I wasn't. I have no idea why.

I'm guessing that you were not at home during the last census and as a result you were struck off the electoral register. The census data is used for such purposes, I was struck off in one constituancy and added in another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you were not at home during the last census and as a result you were struck off the electoral register. The census data is used for such purposes, I was struck off in one constituancy and added in another.

Census data is supposed to be confidential and not used for any purpose other than statistical. They won't even release the 1926 census returns because there are people still alive who are mentioned in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Census data is not used to update the electoral register.
    Some political activists, esp in rural areas, where everyone knows everyone etc etc take it upon themselves to "update" the register by removing the recently deceased, people who have moved away, new arrivals and so on. It seems to vary from place to place.
    Ultimately your local authority removed you from the register and they can only have done that having received written notification. I'm certain they would have to reveal that to you, under FOI if nothing else.
    Not sure whether you'd be bothered going that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My mother has done a job the last few years where she goes around to a bunch of houses in an area and checks the register there, if people want someone struck off they can do so then and same if they want to be added. I don't know whether this is a local authority specific thing or nationwide, but it's possible that someone called to your home and you got stuck off then...

Advertisement