Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call for comments on Copyright Review Commitee submission.

Options
  • 25-05-2012 6:30pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heya, if you want a say but you don't want to do all the writing, why not comment here: http://copyrightreform.ie/

Well collate the input and try to include as many as possible.

If you don't have anything to add, or you want to help us broaden the input, can you please tweet, bookface or otherwise disseminate the URL??

http://copyrightreform.ie/

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this is the most interesting part about the copyright council, and resolution services http://copyrightreform.ie/2012/05/23/responses-crc-questionnaire/#6 and whether it should be private and public and where it should derive and apply its authority
    http://copyrightreform.ie/2012/05/23/responses-crc-questionnaire/#7

even after reading crc/eoin o'dell's helpful summaries and the lengthy copyright review document, there still not enough detail or information to go on really, Minister Sherlock demanded empircal evidence, ok so where is it then Minister/CRC I ask you. I asked the CRC chairman for his empircal evidence, he didn't have any, couldn't even point me towards any, so what is it they are going to act on?

are the any public copyrights councils in existence?, its optimistic even as a suggestion (implementing fair use here is no less optimistic), as i understand simon mcgarr main point he has made is he thinks that the goverment should fight for the citizen (consumer) at all times on every issue including this copyright, they are our representatives, rights holder have theirs, hence his replies to those questions, so is that the ministers been, doing if you were going to write a general submission rather then answer 86 questions that's what one might say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Not quite related to the CRC, but I think something that would be important going forward, is for ministers involved in drafting any laws relating to copyright, to provide full-disclosure on meetings with lobby groups and interested copyright holders, possibly even including minutes of such meetings.

There is a very notable lack of transparency there, and from what I can tell the only way to get access to such information, is through a (potentially very expensive) freedom of information request.

This kind of information should be disclosed by default, regularly posted on the minsters website or some such; the CRC is quite a beneficial thing, and I applaud all those involved in making submissions with it, I'm just a bit concerned the submissions are going to be taken "under advisement", used to quell disquiet, and ignored once the review ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Not quite related to the CRC, but I think something that would be important going forward, is for ministers involved in drafting any laws relating to copyright, to provide full-disclosure on meetings with lobby groups and interested copyright holders, possibly even including minutes of such meetings.

There is a very notable lack of transparency there, and from what I can tell the only way to get access to such information, is through a (potentially very expensive) freedom of information request.

This kind of information should be disclosed by default, regularly posted on the minsters website or some such; the CRC is quite a beneficial thing, and I applaud all those involved in making submissions with it, I'm just a bit concerned the submissions are going to be taken "under advisement", used to quell disquiet, and ignored once the review ends.

a _different issue_ dare i bring it up but we still havn't gotten the submission re the copyright si, as just a random example of the above.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There IS a huge lack of transparency and a much bigger problem with lobbyists in this country then I thought from the (meagre) involvement I've had.

Again, I'd like to ask people to put their changes to this document asap. http://www.copyrightreform.ie
    Its important and it will get read and listened to (due to the backing of TDs...we can chase it through the Dail).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I wouldne be the most elequint of speakers but what I want from the improvements to copyright law is proper understanding and enforcement of theft of online images/video - a number of adverts and high profile convictions to ensure people know that images/video online are generally the property of the person who took it and unless they have allowed open permission to use it ...permission is needed to reproduce a "copy" - no permission - no copy.....do the crime and penalties include fines as well as possible jail sentences.

we regularly see people complaining online (on boards and other forums) about their images are used by someone to promote this and that - but they never gave permission (even a government department used an image last year without permission of the photographer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

DeVore wrote: »
    Heya, if you want a say but you don't want to do all the writing, why not comment here: http://copyrightreform.ie/

Well collate the input and try to include as many as possible.

If you don't have anything to add, or you want to help us broaden the input, can you please tweet, bookface or otherwise disseminate the URL??

http://copyrightreform.ie/

Thanks!

There seems to be a problem with the site for me. If I click on any of the links I only get a blank page. However if I hover over the like on the main page the test in the main box changes

Edit : Now I just get a blank page when I try to load the homepage

Have been adding a lot of blogs/sources to my RSS feeds lately, and came across this article, from a person well-versed in copyright issues (both internationally and at home for him in Canada):
    http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6509/125/

What I find notable there, is that he discusses a similar copyright review committee in Canada from a number of years back, where there was very significant opposition to a particular part of copyright law (with a very large amount of submissions regarding it), and the Canadian government pretty much ignored the submissions (some notable politicians did make efforts to amend the law though, but without success).

I don't like being skeptical/cynical surrounding this issue, as I know and appreciate many people (particularly yourself DeVore) have put immense amounts of effort into resolving this, and don't want to downplay the excellent job that's been done spreading awareness and political activity.

But....I half fear that what's done is done, the injunction law is in and stuff like the CRC may just be a way for government to deflect and take the steam out of public awareness/opposition on the issue.

It's definitely worth making the submissions though, but I wonder when we will find out whether or not the government is earnestly going to address the issue.
    What happens once the CRC finishes up? Is there a specific date or point in time, where we will know that government will address the issue or not, or is their room for them to defer addressing it indefinitely?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sure that Sherlock will find a reason to resuscitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'm sure that IMRO/Studios will tell Sherlock to find a reason to resuscitate it.

FYP

• Advertisement
Advertisement