Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

€5 in to Longford game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Leave it FFS

In fairness he has nothing else going on so has to concentrate on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What score did the Pats match finish, heard it wa 2-0 at one stage.

Alan Kirby playing for Longford and Jake Kelly with Pats.

The Irish Sun reporting today that Shane Supple rejected Shamrock Rovers and several others have been interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Finished 2-0, think Chambers and Ger O'Brien picked up knocks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

iregk wrote: »
    In fairness he has nothing else going on so has to concentrate on us.

Well I could be shaving my legs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

bohsboy wrote: »
    Must be time for your annual predictions bohsboy, get that crystal ball out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Alan Kirby playing for Longford and Jake Kelly with Pats.

Kirby to the first division? Ah here, he was decent for us last year. He's too good for the FD even at 35 or whatever age he is.

6 ex saints played for Longford today.

Kirby
    Haverty
    Cawley <gonna regret that one
    Hunt
    Dowling
    J O Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

CiaranC wrote: »
    Must be time for your annual predictions bohsboy, get that crystal ball out

You're back! Were you not banned for the entire of last season and reduced to sending PM's to me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You're back! Were you not banned for the entire of last season and reduced to sending PM's to me?
    Ah sure Im back ages and well on my way to my next stretch!

Sligo agree compensation for Cook.

Assume its with Accrington, reckon everyone will be revising their predictions if this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Big loss to the league.:o

Turned Sligo into a force in Irish football.

His teams always had a go. From the moment he came here 5 years ago. They were the only team that really had a go at the Cross. The supposedly big teams like Drogheda and Bohs always came down here and set up for the draw.

We need more Paul Cooks in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels beat Wexford 4-1 tonight on a horrible night, Shels absolutely tore Wexford apart for the first half and 3-0 was modest, second half things changed and Wexford trying getting into it.

Seems we'll be granted a Premier License under the agreement that our floodlights will be replaced and some minor work is done on the roof of the main stand, considering we've had no bother over the past couple of season with regards to getting a Premier Division license I'm surprised at the floodlight issue! :rolleyes:

So will Monaghan be asked to get more seating to meet the License requirements? Will Cork be made get a set of toilets for away fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

They were the only team that really had a go at the Cross.
    Blah blah blah...

Anyway! Kirby signed for a second time today just before the game. Great addition to an already decent squad. Hes only 31 so he is far from past it and will bring good experience to the team. A pretty midfield with him and Gillespie running the show!
    To the poster that said that we'll regret Cawley, I totally agree. He was shocking today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

dan1895 wrote: »
    Anyone else hear the rumour that all premier teams will be required to register squad numbers this year? Or has it been that way up here the last couple of seasons?
    Would believe it. Typical FAI nonsense. Walls falling around them and they're arranging furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Big loss to the league.:o

He's a big, big loss to Sligo.

However the league will have no problem moving on without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seems we'll be granted a Premier License under the agreement that our floodlights will be replaced and some minor work is done on the roof of the main stand, considering we've had no bother over the past couple of season with regards to getting a Premier Division license I'm surprised at the floodlight issue! :rolleyes:

They're clearly out to get you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He's a big, big loss to Sligo.

However the league will have no problem moving on without him.
    For jaysus sake.

He's a good manager who encourages his teams to play good football. He will definitely be a loss to the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stovelid wrote: »
    They're clearly out to get you.

Look, your team benefitted from som questionable FAI actions, it's no wonder you can't see their ridiculous practices.

Do you not think it's weird that for the past 5 years Shels have received a PD Licence, but this year there are issues?

Des wrote: »

Do you not think it's weird that for the past 5 years Shels have received a PD Licence, but this year there are issues?

Have no clue really.

But Tolka is in poor repair. maybe it's genuine.

And I'm no fan of the FAI, as you know, Des.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Leaky roof as may be, but there's nothing wrong with the floodlights.

Des wrote: »
    I'm playing devil's advocate here, but maybe they're trying to slowly raise the bar?

Don't Pats have floodlight issues as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

We had to upgrade ours also last season even though I can't honestly see any difference in brightness.

It's actually a test that is performed and it's a UEFA thing rather than FAI as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

djpbarry wrote: »
    For jaysus sake.

He's a good manager who encourages his teams to play good football. He will definitely be a loss to the league.

More Cooks, less Mathews' and Doolins'.

Though too many spoil the broth :rolleyes:

Im off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gimmick wrote: »
    More Cooks, less Mathews' and Doolins'.

Though too many spoil the broth :rolleyes:

Im off :(
    Nothing wrong with Mathews or his style of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

His "style of football" bored the socks off CCFC for the year he was here and was completely horrible at Longford. He is not as bad as Doolin, but thats not hard.

gimmick wrote: »
    His "style of football" bored the socks off CCFC for the year he was here and was completely horrible at Longford. He is not as bad as Doolin, but thats not hard.
    I can't really comment on how he was at Longford or Cork because I didn't watch much of either, but since coming to us the football has vastly improved from the Keely spell (not that this would be a great accolade but still). Pep Guardiola he is not, but he has built his team around the likes of David Cassidy, Philly Hughes, Conan Byrne, Kevin Dawson and Lorcan Fitzgerald. All of whom are significantly more useful with the ball at their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

It was pretty bleak stuff at times with Longford alright. He did well enough with us but the players we had were probably capable of more.

It was pretty bleak stuff at times with Longford alright. He did well enough with us but the players we had were probably capable of more.
    Sure at least it all worked out for you in the end.

• Advertisement

Well that wasn't his fault, we were relegated off the field..

Although with the players we had we should never had been in that league position, and losing to Carmatrhen is unforgivable, never getting over that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Shels beat Wexford 4-1 tonight on a horrible night, Shels absolutely tore Wexford apart for the first half and 3-0 was modest, second half things changed and Wexford trying getting into it. Seems we'll be granted a Premier License under the agreement that our floodlights will be replaced and some minor work is done on the roof of the main stand, considering we've had no bother over the past couple of season with regards to getting a Premier Division license I'm surprised at the floodlight issue! :rolleyes: So will Monaghan be asked to get more seating to meet the License requirements? Will Cork be made get a set of toilets for away fans?

We have to upgrade our lights too. We also had work done behind goals at stand end if ground to increase capacity. They are pushing for works to be done where there had been deregations given formerly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The Irish Sun reporting today that Shane Supple rejected Shamrock Rovers and several others have been interested.

Fenlon went after him a couple of times after he left Ipswich. Seems he's just fixed on not playing football any more. Shame really, I think he was potentially capable of being a future international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

OK. That's a brilliant response. Why stop at you're legs? Go all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

doncarlos wrote: »
    It's actually a test that is performed and it's a UEFA thing rather than FAI as far as I know.

This.

If anything the floodlights were probably below standard for the last couple of years and this year they pulled clubs up on it after Sligo failed UEFA tests last year....something the FAI was suppose to be checking and not allow happen.

Nothing to do with the FAI, infact they dont really set any of the regulations at all they are just an awarding body. Everything they do is double checked by UEFA.

Lights obviously dim over time and that has to be checked along with the fact most older floodlights were not built to the current lum and H&S specs.

I know its treason to defend the FAI around here, and I hate them more than most people but they dont really come up with there own ideas. They get there ideas from UEFA and then do a terrible job implementing and overseeing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ebbs wrote: »
    I know its treason to defend the FAI around here, and I hate them more than most people but they dont really come up with there own ideas. They get there ideas from UEFA and then do a terrible job implementing and overseeing them.

Yet still they're begging UEFA to let Newderry into the EL this year. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cook to stay with Sligo?

http://theleagueofirelandblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/cook-to-return-to-sligo-after.html
    Cook to return to Sligo after unsuccessful Accrington talks
    Sligo Rovers FC have just released the following statement on the club website regarding manager Paul Cook:

Sligo Rovers wish to announce that Paul Cook is expected to return to Sligo this weekend after talks between Paul and Accrington Stanley concluded unsuccesfully.

We would like to thank Accrington’s Peter Marsden for his professionalism and courtesy in the negotiations with Sligo Rovers and we wish them the very best for the future.

We would also like to thank our supporters for their patience this week regarding this issue and look forward to a return to focus on our pre-season preparations.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Thats mad.

Cook to stay with Sligo?
    As good a manager as he is, I find it hard to understand how the Sligo board and fans have not lost all patience with him at this point. He clearly has zero interest in taking the club forward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Looking to move away just before the new season is a bit bad alright

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Cook should really have a bit of decency and just leave.

3 years in a row now? other clubs and wanting a whip round the 1st time.

LOL. We wouldn't let MON dictate after he won two leagues and got us into the group stages.

A few domestic cups and they're gone beyond eating out of his hand at this stage.

stovelid wrote: »
    LOL. We wouldn't let MON dictate after he won two leagues and got us into the group stages.

A few domestic cups and they're gone beyond eating out of his hand at this stage.

In fairness it remains to be seen whether that was the best idea or the stupidest idea.

I like Kenny always hoped one day he would come back but all of his good teams played a certain way and included 7 foot Derry lads and crosses....lots of crosses.... His teams are fairly easy to stop. I can see you lot turning on him very quickly. Well not you lot but the newbies.

With Shels and Cork being very strong along with Sligo i think it will be a tough league. I dont think we be in the mix as we seem to rely on Chambers a bit too much and not signing Corry means we have no back up for when he gets "taken" out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    3 years in a row now? other clubs and wanting a whip round the 1st time.
    What exactly do you think happened last season?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

djpbarry wrote: »
    As good a manager as he is, I find it hard to understand how the Sligo board and fans have not lost all patience with him at this point. He clearly has zero interest in taking the club forward.
    You'll find a large section of both have lost patience in him now.

All I wanted was this situation resolved quickly so we could move forward, with or without Paul. Thankfully thats happened now and we can get back to football. Speaking of which we won 3-1 tonight in a friendly against some German team. North and Seiid scored.

In other news our sponsorship deal has been completed and jersey should be in the shops next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You'll find a large section of both have lost patience in him now.

All I wanted was this situation resolved quickly so we could move forward, with or without Paul. Thankfully thats happened now and we can get back to football. Speaking of which we won 3-1 tonight in a friendly against some German team. North and Seiid scored.

In other news our sponsorship deal has been completed and jersey should be in the shops next week.

Volkswagen i believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

dan1895 wrote: »
    Volkswagen i believe?

Correct. New jersey this season too I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What is in negotiations, i wonder, that Cook has failed to agree terms on with both St Johnstone and Accy Stanley?

monkey9 wrote: »
    What is in negotiations, i wonder, that Cook has failed to agree terms on with both St Johnstone and Accy Stanley?

Could be a length of contract thing, he wouldn't want to uproot his family for peanuts I guess, long contract = lots of compo if it goes pear shaped.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement