Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galazxy s2 vs S3

Options
  • 18-08-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S Plus (which I love) but selling it to my sister in the next few weeks. So I'm on the lookout for a new phone. I love the new S3 but what I'm wondering is if it's really worth the extra €100+ over the S2? Has anyone had both and can compare? I mainly use my phone for internet browsing, apps etc (and the usual call/texts!)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I had the same dilemma 3 months ago. After much searching and comparing finally decided that I was just doing my head in with all the stats and shelled out the extra cash for the S3. I also got a nice cash rebate / discount from Vodafone (€60), which made the decision a bit easier. All I can say, I'm extremely happy with the phone.

On a technical note, go for it if just for the updated firmware and newer technology (it is about 2yrs younger as a model). Plus the S3 is getting Jellybean (4.1) officially. I don't think the S2 will (but am open to correction)
    Hi all,

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S Plus (which I love) but selling it to my sister in the next few weeks. So I'm on the lookout for a new phone. I love the new S3 but what I'm wondering is if it's really worth the extra €100+ over the S2? Has anyone had both and can compare? I mainly use my phone for internet browsing, apps etc (and the usual call/texts!)

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Galaxy S Plus user here too ... starting to annoy me with sporadic freeze/reboots recently (even though have feck all apps installed). Looked at the S3 but to be honest if I bought it the next thing I'd have to buy is a bigger pocket!!!

IMHO, the likes of the S3 and Note are ridiculously big for phones, trying to be like tablets with big screens for viewing youtube etc instead of being convenient, like a phone.

For me, answering the likes of the S3/Note would be like Trigger Happy TV .... HELLO!!!! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Based on longevity, the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

I switched from a iPhone 4s to an S3 recently. I had similar worries re phone size etc. Trust me, once you start using it, you'll wonder how you used something smaller before. It seems like the perfect size for a phone. I've had no issues putting it in my jeans pocket with keys and wallet.

The big difference in my opinion between the S2 v S3, besides the design, is that the S3 has been future proofed. It comes with 2gb's of Ram, which is overkill for the phone currently. No App on the Google Play store takes advantage of that size Ram yet. And it'll be awhile yet before that Kind of App comes along. And the same can be said for the processor. 1.4ghz Quad Core. Again Overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    I switched from a iPhone 4s to an S3 recently. I had similar worries re phone size etc. Trust me, once you start using it, you'll wonder how you used something smaller before. It seems like the perfect size for a phone. I've had no issues putting it in my jeans pocket with keys and wallet.

The big difference in my opinion between the S2 v S3, besides the design, is that the S3 has been future proofed. It comes with 2gb's of Ram, which is overkill for the phone currently. No App on the Google Play store takes advantage of that size Ram yet. And it'll be awhile yet before that Kind of App comes along. And the same can be said for the processor. 1.4ghz Quad Core. Again Overkill.

Correction, S3 comes with 1gb ram
    http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

Anyway OP, I wouldn't go with s2 now, it's already old (yes 1 yr is old in tech), has only dual core and doesn't get Jellybean. It also doesn't have NFC which is going to be everywhere shortly as a quick payment option
    http://m.gizmodo.com/5935887/paypal-is-testing-out-mobile-payment-at-mcdonalds-restaurants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just a correction to a couple of posts, I think the s2 probably will get jelly bean. Rumoured to be coming toward end of year.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/jelly-bean-update-confirmed-for-samsung-galaxy-s2-1092578

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Just a correction to a couple of posts, I think the s2 probably will get jelly bean. Rumoured to be coming toward end of year.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/jelly-bean-update-confirmed-for-samsung-galaxy-s2-1092578

Hold on, You're quoting rumours as facts. The fact is, ICS was originally rumoured for the Galaxy S1 but then Samsung came out and said it wasn't getting it after all. Samsung lied and said it wasn't compatible, when the truth is there wasn't space for it unless they removed their Touchwiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

BopNiblets wrote: »

Ok, maybe it's true then.

Yup, and there's always the custom ROMs as backup, there's a few of them now on xda forum, see the JB section of this threads first post:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529173

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Hold on, You're quoting rumours as facts.

Not sure I said it was a fact did I? Using words like "I think", "probably" and "rumoured" make it anything but definitive I would have thought.

Oh, and my post has exactly same source as the one you seemed happy enough to believe. Fact.

Anyway, hope it does come to fruition.

Read the posts above, it has already been announced! :)

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Yup, and there's always the custom ROMs as backup, there's a few of them now on xda forum, see the JB section of this threads first post:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529173

Custom Roms aren't for most people though, the majority will just stick with whatever crap filled version their network release.
    Oh, and my post has exactly same source as the one you seemed happy enough to believe. Fact.

We'll see how much time Samsung give to the development of JB on an old phone. You may be best going the custom Rom route, I had to with the Galaxy S1 for the upgrade from Froyo to Gingerbread as it lagged badly.

Advertisement