Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling my pc

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

im selling my computer and i need to get it back to factory settings, can anyone tell me how to this.
    thanks
    lisa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You must have the original installation cd / cd's that came with your PC in order to bring it back to default settings. Other than that you would have to deleat all your personal stuff and what ever else from the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Safest thing to do is just remove the hard disk and destroy it. Having said that, you only really need to do that if there's some really personal sh!t on the hard disk that could have an adverse effect on your future political career. :pac:
    In most cases it's as simple as booting up off your windows disk and selecting a new installation (which will format the disk and thus delete all of your stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

You must have the original installation cd / cd's that came with your PC in order to bring it back to default settings. Other than that you would have to deleat all your personal stuff from the PC.

not always... dells and ibms can have restore partitions which restore to factory, ctrl+f11 at boot on a good few dells

we would need to know the make and model lisa

if your concerned about any personal data on it you might want to erase the free disc space after restoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

its a dell inspiron 530 and the only personal things i hav on it is pictures from my camera

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

xxlilyxx wrote: »
    its a dell inspiron 530 and the only personal things i hav on it is pictures from my camera

you could install this http://eraser.heidi.ie/ and use it wipe the photos or other personal files

then you could try a factory restore
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1088641
    scroll down "Using Dell PC Restore and Dell Factory Image Restore" instructions
    for either vista or xp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

thanks ghost train you've been a great help

lisa

Advertisement