Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ar dheis a De

Options
  • 26-02-2015 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

How do you say ''Ar dheis a de'' when referring to a group of dead people?
    Is it correct to say ''Ar dheis a de go raibh na hanimeacha''?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ar dheis Dé go raibh anamnacha na marbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Ar dheis Dé go raibh anamnacha na marbh.

Seriously?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,713 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

William F wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yes, that's how it's said. Your own translation was slightly off in that you don't need the "a", so it's just "ar dheis Dé go raibh" and then add whose soul(s) you want.

AGG has translated something akin to "may the souls of the/all dead go to the right side of God".

If you want it to be more finite, you can say "may the souls of those (specific) people go to the right side of God", which if I'm not mistaken is, "ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamacha". I could very well be mistaken since I'm school-taught rather than a native speaker, so wait for confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Yes, that's how it's said. Your own translation was slightly off in that you don't need the "a", so it's just "ar dheis Dé go raibh" and then add whose soul(s) you want.

AGG has translated something akin to "may the souls of the/all dead go to the right side of God".

If you want it to be more finite, you can say "may the souls of those (specific) people go to the right side of God", which if I'm not mistaken is, "ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamacha". I could very well be mistaken since I'm school-taught rather than a native speaker, so wait for confirmation.

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I have heard Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anaim being said on the local radio station,although I'm pretty sure "a n-anamacha" is the correct plural for "their souls" in Irish.

I've also seen Ar lámh dheis Dé go raibh siad written on an actual grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Seasan wrote: »
    I have heard Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anaim being said on the local radio station,although I'm pretty sure "a n-anamacha" is the correct plural for "their souls" in Irish.

I've also seen Ar lámh dheis Dé go raibh siad written on an actual grave.

No, what you head what "a n-anam", I'm almost sure. In Irish many words are used as collective nouns when referring to body parts of people. A gceann, a gcos, etc.

I have heard a n-anamacha too, but I would consider a n-anam more correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Well considering there are over twenty known plurals for crann! Classical Irish had a strict system for the formation of plurals, but today it really varies, even Cork and Kerry Irish have different plural forms for hundreds of words and they're roughly the same dialect.

Advertisement