Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grip shift or rapid Fire

• 11-09-2014 3:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

hello

from a maintainance AND durability point of view, which is better ;grip shift or rapid fire ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

IMO Grip shift are ****e they never seem to align properly go with the quick fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rapid fire all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭t5pwr

Rapid Fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

do they even still make grip shift? rapidfire wins hands down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks. are all the answers from a maintainance AND durability point of view ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Thanks. are all the answers from a maintainance AND durability point of view ?

Gripshift is cheap and nasty. Trigger shifters will go forever with the occasional cable refresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Grip shift for me - they definitely are not cheap and nasty unless you are talking about the cheapest of cheap low end models.

I'm using a 10 year old set of SRAM XO, 9 speed grip shifts and they have always worked flawlessly with no maintenance needed.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-xx-grip-shift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thumb shift. Granted I've never used a high end grip shift but there is a 80s MTB in the shed andthe shimano thumb shifters still work 25 years later. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭oinkely

gripshift would get my vote for the mtb. I use a 9 speed sram XO setup and it is just brilliant. Very easy to set up and very quick and easy to shift up and down the entire cassette.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks. so just a note, my cycling style is just a short 3k cycle in and out of work and just for leisure at the weekends, so nothing too hectic at all ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭rflynnr

All things being equal, I'd favour thumbshifts but SRAM's gripshifts are very good. Although I haven't used them in years every set of Shimano gripshifts I ever had wore out within two years whereas the SRAM gripshifts on my triple tandem are now entering their second decade of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

I kinda like Gripshift for mtb and when I am on my road bike I like the thumb shifters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

rflynnr wrote: »
    All things being equal, I'd favour thumbshifts but SRAM's gripshifts are very good. Although I haven't used them in years every set of Shimano gripshifts I ever had wore out within two years whereas the SRAM gripshifts on my triple tandem are now entering their second decade of use.

I've still got an old school set of Gripshift SRT-500 (I think)s on what was my go-to MTB from when I was actively cycling. Granted, it's about a decade now, but those shifters saw several years worth of abuse and never failed once.

The new bike I'm picking up on Sunday has XTR rapid-fire shifters on it, so I'll give them a run to see how I feel about them before deciding if I want to go get some SRAM beasties to swap them out with.

Advertisement