Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Vuelta a Espana, stage 18: A Estrada-Monte Castrove en Meis (157 km)

• 11-09-2014 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭

18_perfil.png

I didn't see a thread for this stage
    Looks like it would be good for Purito or Valverde , both looking for time but maybe Dan Martin can pull off that stage win...hope so

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Dan will attack no doubt but it just depends on Valverde and Rodriguez following. Should be exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tom Boonen, Robert Gesink and Fabian Cancellara were all DNS this morning.

Spartacus pulled out to concentrate on the World Champs. And Gesink left the race because his heavily pregnant wife is in hospital as she has undergone surgery twice this week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I how his wife is ok but Robert Gesink pulling out takes a bit of pressure of Dan and might help him focus on aru rather than a what's happening behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I how his wife is ok but Robert Gesink pulling out takes a bit of pressure of Dan and might help him focus on aru rather than a what's happening behind him.

Focus on Aru in terms of marking him for a stage win or for GC? At nearly 3 minutes back, unless things go very bad for Aru I'd not have thought he's in any way a realistic target in GC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I suppose it was to be expected as I had Gesink in my fantasy team, along with Quintana , Bouhanni, Hofland .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ultegra

With Spartacus & tony Martin gone final TT is really up for grabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Ultegra wrote: »
    With Spartacus & tony Martin gone final TT is really up for grabs

Very true, it really is anyones. Contador can run well but again depends on teh route. Does anyone know the TT route?

Racing time of 1hr 17 mins with an average speed of 50.6km/hr !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

That's nuts. No way a break will hold, they'll be wrecked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

logik wrote: »
    Very true, it really is anyones. Contador can run well but again depends on teh route. Does anyone know the TT route?

9.7km completely flat IIRC.

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »

Here.

Put modest bets on Valverde and Dan for today. Was thinking Movistar particularly would be anxious for time bonuses to be up for grabs at the end for Valverde & so would work hard against any breakaway.

Still flooring it by the looks of things

Gap to the breakaway is now nominal, late attacks are starting to come from the peloton with 28km to go. Should be a sprint finish of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Paddigol

If Aru wins this I'll throw a temper tantrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Frome giving it a lash with 2 k to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Martin losing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Paddigol wrote: »
    If Aru wins this I'll throw a temper tantrum.

Off you go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Froome lost it by looking at his power meter. Typical.

Put about 13 seconds into contador

What was Valverde playing at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Martin 12th, 48s back from Aru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

retalivity wrote: »
    Martin 12th, 48s back from Aru

Hangs onto 6th by 7s from Sanchez

Vuelta a Espana GC: 1 Contador; 2 Froome +1'19; 3 Valverde +1'32; 4 Rodriguez+2'29; 5 Aru + 3'15; 6 Martin +6'52; 7 Sanchez +6'59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Paddigol

neris wrote: »
    Off you go

*$%#¥**!!

Consolidation time for Dan now.

Arun is such a talent ..... Defo for me a future GT winner ..Second only to Quintana

Dan is on antibiotics it seems....Always finds it hard to stay healthy for 3 weeks

Hopefully he can hang in there in these last stages and be ok for Worlds & Lombardy ....more like his kind of races for a win

The battle for first looks very much back on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

pelevin wrote: »
    The battle for first looks very much back on.

at 1'20?

I'd say bertie will just mark Froome from here to the end

godtabh wrote: »
    at 1'20?

I'd say bertie will just mark Froome from here to the end

I'd say if just marking Froome were as easy as that, he'd not have lost time to him today. Interesting to see how tough the remaining days are.

I'd say if just marking Froome were as easy as that, he'd not have lost time to him today. Interesting to see how tough the remaining days are.

Sky are going to make them tough...Froome seems to be getting better and better

The 3 amigos were not able to follow him today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The next stage's profile looks too easy to me for Froome to gain time
    http://www.c-cycling.com/sites/vuelta14/stage19.html

Stage 20 however could see him gain some time - http://www.c-cycling.com/sites/vuelta14/stage20.html

With such a short ITT, I can't see him gaining more than a dozen seconds over Bertie in the last stage. Though I guess he could possibly win it and gain bonus seconds for that - if there are any for the time trial stage?

• Advertisement

Stage 20 looks like D Day all right.

I'd say Sanchez will probably overtake Dan for 6th place in the ITT.

I'd say Sanchez will probably overtake Dan for 6th place in the ITT.

I dunno, I think Saturday will be far more decisive in terms of time-gaps than the ITT, and Dan's a better climber right now for me. I think he'll gain more time on Sanchez on Saturday than he'll lose on Sunday

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

godtabh wrote: »
    Froome lost it by looking at his power meter. Typical.

Put about 13 seconds into contador

That's a little unfair on Aru. Froome did most of the work to open up a gap on his GC contenders, Aru had the final kick to win. I don't think the stage win was a priority for Froome.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brian? wrote: »
    That's a little unfair on Aru. Froome did most of the work to open up a gap on his GC contenders, Aru had the final kick to win. I don't think the stage win was a priority for Froome.

No, but he wouldn't have turned down the bonus seconds either

Daroxtar wrote: »
    No, but he wouldn't have turned down the bonus seconds either

That's true, I just think it was an unfair comment. Froome was beaten by the better kick, not because he was staring at his power meter.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Stage 20 looks like D Day all right.

It does indeed. Crucially my Missus is at a baby shower though, so I'll have to watch a recording. Stupid pregnant women.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Brian? wrote: »
    It does indeed. Crucially my Missus is at a baby shower though, so I'll have to watch a recording. Stupid pregnant women.

well if its her baby shower your partly to blame (or so you should think) and you need to get your timing right on sexual privilages. If its not hers tell her to get new friends who are more considerate to the timing of grand tour race finishes and crucial stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dunno, I think Saturday will be far more decisive in terms of time-gaps than the ITT, and Dan's a better climber right now for me. I think he'll gain more time on Sanchez on Saturday than he'll lose on Sunday

Question is how much is this illness Dan has impacting his condition. He is certainly a better climber all things being equal Im just not so sure all things are equal right now.

Hopefully they are and if so Id expect he can put enough time into Sanchez to hold 6th place, if hes not 100% though then unfortunatly he will probably lost 6th.

Either way I think hes proved he can ride for the GC in a Grand Tour and have realistic ambitions to podium at some point if he improves his time trialling (in the Giro or Vuelta) I dont see any other GT being so stacked with talent in the next few years tbh.

I mean we have to remember of the 5 guys ahead of him 3 of them are GT winners and the other 2 have GT podiums on their Palmares as has the guy directly behind him.

Only Aru is younger than him too

Advertisement