Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike saddle bag contents

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

RonanCFD wrote: »
    Well, I've never had to use it so it might be useless :) - but I read about it on bikeradar I think. The sachets are made of super-tough foil, but its so thin that it uses up virtually no space in the bag.

How would you make use of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I recently switched to using one of those fake bottles (BBB Tools & Tubes) in the bottle cage. The fecking CX tubes are massive and struggled to get in the bag.

1 multi tool
    2 tubes
    1 multis panner
    2 tyre levers
    1 mini pump on frame

keys, money & phone go in the saddle bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    Guilty as charged. Spare spokes, seat bolt, cable ties, quick links, and a couple of other probably never to be used bits and bobs wrapped in a bit of old inner tube and stored in the seat post. Choice of saddle bags, based on how long and remote the run is. For an all day effort, along with the usual stuff, the bigger bag contains wet gear, spare specs, lights, spare batteries, energy bars, tyre boot, cassette tool + mini wrench, and an anti-histamine.
    :confused: I have to ask - why would you need a cassette tool on a ride? Please don't tell me you also bring different cassette ratios and change them mid ride! :eek:
    Met a bloke pushing a bike down the military road last summer, saddle in hand....
    Could he not have just sat on the saddle anyway albeit much lower than it should be? Beats walking especially if he was on a descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Invincible wrote: »
    How would you make use of it?

Just put it between tube & tyre if you split the tyre - stops the tube from bulging out of the split when you pump it back up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

:confused: I have to ask - why would you need a cassette tool on a ride? Please don't tell me you also bring different cassette ratios and change them mid ride! :eek:

Replacing a drive side spoke involves removing the cassette.
    Could he not have just sat on the saddle anyway albeit much lower than it should be? Beats walking especially if he was on a descent.

The broken bolt was the one attaching the saddle to the seat post, not the one tightening the seat post in position. Don't think I'd fancy a descent on a saddle that wasn't attached to the seat post, though I'd probably attempt some jiggery pokery with cable ties in an emergency.

(Note: the gear I carry on a long trip or multi-day trip is quite possibly more a reflection on my paranoia that anything else. Haven't needed any of it as yet, though have helped someone with a roadside chain repair)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've managed to 'patch' a ripped tyre with an old crisp packet I found on the floor after a blow-out. It held ok for the 10K or so home. Now I carry a tyre patch, 2 tubes, CO2 pump and 2 spares, 2 tyre levers, multi-tool (with chain tool) , latex gloves and a quick link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

I don't have a saddle bag but in my jersey pockets go:

2 tubes
    3 tyre levers
    1 multitool
    1 phone
    1 pump
    Electrolyte tablets (depending on length of journey)
    Keys
    Money
    Couple of gels (depending on length of journey)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

A condom (latex gloves can be uncomfortable in certain positions). More, for a long ride.
    And a bit of Sudocream.

RV wrote: »
    A condom (latex gloves can be uncomfortable in certain positions). More, for a long ride.
    And a bit of Sudocream.

Please explain :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I'm suprised no one yet has mentioned economy size jar of chamois creme yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Replacing a drive side spoke involves removing the cassette....
    Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Showing my ignorance now! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

slap/dash wrote: »
    I'm suprised no one yet has mentioned economy size jar of chamois creme yet

Sudocream would cover it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Pretty much what most people have said. However I feel it's important to have 2 tubes on me, one in the saddle bag and one in the pocket. They take up so little space it seems foolish not to.

I'm on tubulars at the moment though, a lend, I feel oddly naked just carrying CO2 and latest sealant.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

1. Two tubes.
    2.Park CT folding chain tool.
    3. 9, 10, and 11 speed chain pins..just in case one of my companions forgot to bring theirs.
    4. Various allen keys.
    5. Patch kit.
    6. Tyre booting material, just in case I split a tyre. (tooth paste tube cut into strips)
    7. Spare seat clamp..could save you a very long walk.
    8. Tyre levers.
    9. CO2 inflator
    10. mini pump
    11. Money
    12. Mobile phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

1 Tube, 2 levers and a repair kit, that's all that will fit in the bag with a mini pump on the frame, I feel under prepared after reading this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Here is the stuff pictured:

i.imgur.com/kvW2xv4.jpg

1x Topeak Wedge Aero Mini
    1x spare tube
    1x tyre lever
    1x Topeak Hexus multitool
    1x patch kit
    1x set of chain pins
    1x 50€ note rolled into small waterproof plastic tube

Optional:
    1x CO2 canister and head (usually I carry a minipump)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

im a minimal man.

no saddle bag, spare tube in jersey, 2 if its a 200k'er, tyre levers & mini pump.

(phone number of parents/girlfriend in case any of aforementioned disasters befall me)

Advertisement