Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Car Bike and Wheel Rack

Options
  • 25-04-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi ALL

I hope someone here might help as my team are about to purchase a team Car and we are now looking for a bike rack similar to what the pro's use to hold a few bikes plus wheels.

I have tried Google but that's not much help and info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

wav1 on here has one on his car, holds 4 bikes i think. you could try giving him a shout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm pretty sure I saw a Swords car that holds eight or so.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I believe the pro grade ones, that hold six or seven bikes and additional wheels, are all custom built and there's only a few places in Belgium and Spain that do them. Since a few clubs and CI cars have them hopefully someone will be able to confirm that and point you to who does them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

Hi ALL

I hope someone here might help as my team are about to purchase a team Car and we are now looking for a bike rack similar to what the pro's use to hold a few bikes plus wheels.

I have tried Google but that's not much help and info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Yes as lennymc says I make bike racks.The ones i make can be made to carry 4 or 5 bikes with front wheel out,plus fork space for the 5 x front wheels,plus fork space for 2 x sets of wheels [2 x back+2 x front]Am currently nearly finished a 5 bike rack for the Garda squad.The real pro ones cost about e3000.There are copy ones made in Ireland which cost about e1500.Mine will cost you e420 for a 4 bike and e470 for a 5 bike.They simply bolt on to the roof bars on estate cars by means of u bolts.All you will need yourself is 5 front skewers.Have my own on the car since 2005 and the bikes are safe as houses on it.Dont know what part of the country you're in but theres one on the Killorglin car also.If you want to P M me and I'l send you on fotos.About 10 days delivery.
    Wav

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

surely if its carrying spare bikes for races you want full bikes not bikes with the front wheels out (or at least most pro teams have the two outside ones with front wheels on ) if its just carrying loads of bikes then no prob

(no criticism intended btw just if the op is looking for a team car thats following a race it might need those)

• Advertisement

surely if its carrying spare bikes for races you want full bikes not bikes with the front wheels out (or at least most pro teams have the two outside ones with front wheels on ) if its just carrying loads of bikes then no prob

(no criticism intended btw just if the op is looking for a team car thats following a race it might need those)
    You're right and some of them have the 2 outside bikes complete,but thats a hugely expensive part of the build.mine are basically a good value budget job,and its surprising how quick you can get a front wheel in when you have to.Maybe an extra 10 or 15 seconds as opposed to the complete bike job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Swords one is the one previously used by the Murphy and Gunn pro team and was custom made AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

wav1 wrote: »
    You're right and some of them have the 2 outside bikes complete,but thats a hugely expensive part of the build.mine are basically a good value budget job,and its surprising how quick you can get a front wheel in when you have to.Maybe an extra 10 or 15 seconds as opposed to the complete bike job.

I have seen the ones made by WAV1 and they are very good quality - as he says they dont hold bikes up-right which is a disadvantage. I priced a custom copy of a pro rack and it was over 1500, some of them are mixed quality too e.g the last one the fed bought isnt meant to be great. The other alternative is get Thule 591 for about 110 each - you can fit five of them on a wide rack

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Yes as lennymc says I make bike racks.The ones i make can be made to carry 4 or 5 bikes with front wheel out,plus fork space for the 5 x front wheels,plus fork space for 2 x sets of wheels [2 x back+2 x front]Am currently nearly finished a 5 bike rack for the Garda squad.The real pro ones cost about e3000.There are copy ones made in Ireland which cost about e1500.Mine will cost you e420 for a 4 bike and e470 for a 5 bike.They simply bolt on to the roof bars on estate cars by means of u bolts.All you will need yourself is 5 front skewers.Have my own on the car since 2005 and the bikes are safe as houses on it.Dont know what part of the country you're in but theres one on the Killorglin car also.If you want to P M me and I'l send you on fotos.About 10 days delivery.
    Wav

Driven behind that car often on the Gorey 3 Day and it looks fairly secure to me!

Out of curiosty does it fix direct to the roof rails on an estate or do you need to fit roof bars first as well? And how heavy is the rack itself - would one person lift it on and off to fit it?

MichealD wrote: »
    Driven behind that car often on the Gorey 3 Day and it looks fairly secure to me!

Out of curiosty does it fix direct to the roof rails on an estate or do you need to fit roof bars first as well? And how heavy is the rack itself - would one person lift it on and off to fit it?
    Fits directly on to roof rails on any estate car.One guy could lift it on,but for handiness sake,a guy each side slides it on in a minute,and you bolt it tight in a few minutes,and it wont go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Tarmac monkey

Wav

Hi i run a cycling company in french alps and am in process of buying new team car from uk in next few months and was wondering if I maybe able to get some photos and info about the racks you make?? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1 2wheelcare

I know this post is a bit old however I run a cycle repair business and I am very interested in these racks.

Could you send me some details and pictures over to me that would be great.

Many thanks

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Did anyone get any further with this? Am looking to source one for our club car. Any new info would be great.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I just use a halfords bars with 4 of their ownbrand bike racks

I just use a halfords bars with 4 of their ownbrand bike racks

How do you get on with that? Is 4 enough or could you fit another 2 into that mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You could probably fit 6 racks head to toe across the car but you might have to adjust saddles or turn handlebars to do it. Ok for transporting but not for a swap during the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

miller_63 wrote: »
    How do you get on with that? Is 4 enough or could you fit another 2 into that mix?

Possibly. As CDaly says it wouldn't be great in a race but it gets you there and back to races. I personally wouldn't go more than four. It gets awkward. It depends on the size of the roof I guess.

Could be a cheaper way overall of doing it I suppose, come race time the spare bikes are placed on the outer ones. Given the nature of racing here in Ireland (club size) I cant ever see a need for more than three spare bikes.....

Advertisement