Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nespresso Machine

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Does the pixie come with a frother? Or do you need an arochino?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Does the pixie come with a frother? Or do you need an arochino?

Pixie is a very basic machine - no frother. Nice thing about the pixie is that it is small and neat. I LOVE mine.

Where do you get your pods, online?

Anyone find their aerroccino doesn't froth the milk, just warms it? Admittedly I have only tried one milk so far, lidl brand full fat. Seems from googling it can be more effective with slim line fresh milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I use semi-skimmed milk myself and it froths fine.

Sometimes it doesn't spin I have noticed, make sure you have the spinner in correctly.

The actual aerroccino itself is not the greatest thing ever and I have had to purchase 2 replacements over the past 6 years.

Don't put it in the dishwasher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I find that the best milk to use is Aldi's fat free (pink carton). Full fat milk is too heavy to froth properly. I've never had any problems with mine and I've been using it for about 4 years. Probably jinxed it now😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ok thinking of buying one of these machines, we have one in work and i had a test run with one and it wasnt bad, it did go cold very fast, so im wondering is that the norm? or does it sound like just a crap machine we have? The capsule i had also was one from lidl/aldi, so i may not of even had a good one. Do any of you go with them ones? or stick with nespresso brand?

So im wondering what kinda ones can i get? is there a one that makes all kinds of coffees?

I'm partial to a latte but only if its good quality, otherwise id go standard coffee.

Ive been thinking of getting one of these nespresso machines but no idea where to start :rolleyes:

anybody help a noob out?

nix wrote: »
    Ok thinking of buying one of these machines, we have one in work and i had a test run with one and it wasnt bad, it did go cold very fast, so im wondering is that the norm? or does it sound like just a crap machine we have? The capsule i had also was one from lidl/aldi, so i may not of even had a good one. Do any of you go with them ones? or stick with nespresso brand?

So im wondering what kinda ones can i get? is there a one that makes all kinds of coffees?

I'm partial to a latte but only if its good quality, otherwise id go standard coffee.

Ive been thinking of getting one of these nespresso machines but no idea where to start :rolleyes:

anybody help a noob out?

I'd do some more testing with the one in work first - get some proper Nespresso pods maybe, or some other brand. Personally I use the Lidl ones, among others, and like them a lot, but not everyone is happy with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

anybody help a noob out?

We bought one this time last year and it's been great. Not cheap if you buy the proper capsules (I've just ordered 200 from Nespresso, for €76.) but then it's not the kind of coffee you'd be knocking back dozens of cups a day of.

If you can warm the cup first it helps keep the coffee warm longer, but then I either drink espressos or lungos with just a dropeen of milk, so it doesn't really have time to get cold on me. Not into all that frothing business.

I have the Magimix Nespresso U, and I find it great. Very simple moving parts, and fits snugly on the counter. But then I don't have the frothing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm reading the nespresso machines only take the nespresso capsules and nothing else, is this true? would the lidl ones not work?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I'm reading the nespresso machines only take the nespresso capsules and nothing else, is this true? would the lidl ones not work?

I've got Lidl ones and I have also used other ones I found in Germany, and some I bought in a local shop, can't remember the name of them. Both the Lidl ones and the ones from the local shop gave me trouble a few times; they are made from a different material, and the machine didn't pierce them properly, so they crumpled up inside and the machine started making funny noises.

On the other hand, a friend of mine uses the Lidl ones all the time and says they are fine.

I have had a Pixie for three years.....almost never used real Nespresso pods, and it has never given trouble. A basic machine, but neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Hi - I want to by a Nespresso compatible machine and I have no interest in the milk steamer .

...that said can someone tell me best bang for buck machine to get that makes best nespresso coffee. I want to order something this weekend.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Pixie machine. Think it's about 129 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Pixie machine. Think it's about 129 euro?

Thanks for your help - just ordered a Pixie!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Has anyone had trouble using Robert Roberts capsules? the machine didn't seem to pierce a couple of the capsules and I had an overflow as a result:(.

dub45 wrote: »
    Has anyone had trouble using Robert Roberts capsules? the machine didn't seem to pierce a couple of the capsules and I had an overflow as a result:(.

Uh oh.....I was hoping to try them. Better stick with Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

dub45 wrote: »

I haven't used those or the lidl capsules since they were first released but I did feel at the time that it required more force to close the machine with those capsules compared to the official ones so I'm not too surprised to hear there's been trouble piercing them.

Advertisement