Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first bike - what do you think folks?

• 12-09-2014 7:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, going to get into this at last so looking at the bike to work scheme. As it happens, there is a bike shop underneath the office and I popped in yesterday for a mooch. Had a look at a Kelly's Arc 10, carbon black colour, with red logos. Looked nice. He says that it's on special at the mo ( hmmmm) and comes with a helmet, shoes, matching Kelly's top and sexy Lycra shorts, all colour coded which I assume enables you to go much faster. So, just looking for opinions really. Is it a decent starter ? Oh, Just under a grand all in by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Kellys are good bikes, I know 3 lads with them locally and they seem happy with them.
    Bonus of him bring close to you is you can get it looked at any time, where I got my bike is 45min away so had to plan if I was going into him for an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Looks good to me - plus a 5 year warranty.

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Positive enough so. Can't wait to don the cycling shorts!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good luck with it, all sounds good and good advertising for Kellys! :D
    Well wear and don't heed the red lights... power on! ;)

yop wrote: »
    Good luck with it, all sounds good and good advertising for Kellys! :D
    Well wear and don't heed the red lights... power on! ;)

Cheers yop, and to make matters better, just got a letter from RSA yesterday saying that the 2 penalty points I got back in 2011 are now gone so I'm back to ZERO. yabbadabbadoo!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Get a proper bike fit before you buy it from a professional. No point forking out a grand on a bike that's going to hurt you.

I'm 5'9. Bike is 55cms. Feels like the correct size. What else should I be considering SJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maesrichard

Im 5'10 and i ride a 54cm. Just bought a bike yesterday thats 53cm but i'm opting for a longer stem. My inseam is 79cm. That's the most important measurement when purchasing a new bike. Also the longer the stem you have, the less twitchy the bike will be. I.E you will more control.

Here is a general guideline> In socks, place a thin hardcover book between your legs with about the same upward pressure a saddle produces. Measure your inseam, from the book's spine to the floor, in centimeters. Multiply that number by 0.65; the result is your approximate road frame size. For example, 81cm x 0.65 = 52.65-a 52 or 53cm frame

Saddle height is easily sought out but saddle position is not. Here a tip for you>

The front of your forward knee should be directly over the ball of your foot when the pedal is at the 3 o'clock position. Check this with a plumb line. If the line doesn't pass the front of the pedal axle, move your seat forward or back on the rails until it does. Your seat should be level, or point at most a couple of degrees up or down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The guy in the shop - if he's at all competent - will be able to do a better job of fitting you to a bike than online formulas.

If it's a reputable bike shop then you should be able to trust their advice IMO. If he can get you the right frame size then a bike fitter can tweak it later by moving saddle or changing stem length.

I think it's a bit early to be worrying about fitting yourself now. The bike sounds good, get it and ride it and if as the distances go up you're uncomfortable - beyond how sore your arse is sure to be the first few weeks - then consider a bike fit.

Advertisement