Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lusk commute by bike

• 10-09-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone commute by bike from lusk to IFSC or nearby areas?

I am trying to find a route on google but am unsure if the roads are suitable for cycling. Ideally a route with good quality cycle lanes or failing that plenty of bus lanes so I can have gap to main traffic.

Looks like 20km so thinking a 1 hr ride time?

Anyone doing this route or any suggestions/avoidance areas?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

frankroc wrote: »
    Does anyone commute by bike from lusk to IFSC or nearby areas?

I am trying to find a route on google but am unsure if the roads are suitable for cycling. Ideally a route with good quality cycle lanes or failing that plenty of bus lanes so I can have gap to main traffic.

Looks like 20km so thinking a 1 hr ride time?

Anyone doing this route or any suggestions/avoidance areas?

Thanks

I've moved this to the cycling board as people on here are more likely to have experience of the routes from commuting or leisure cycling.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,530 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are a load of us cycle in from Skerries and certainly a few more head in from Lusk. I cut over to Malahide Road as I work near Clare Hall, but a few other head on down through Drumcondra. Check Strava as a few of the guys have put routes up that are pretty much all the way in. A few of them are on Boards and I'm sure one or two will chip in here

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,530 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And just to add - there are no cycle lanes until you get past Turvey where there is at least then a hard shoulder pretty much all way past Swords. Motorists are generally very good and I wouldn't worry too much about traffic, although yo will need your wits about you as you appriach the airport roundabout if taking the more direct route in

An alternative if you do want quieter roads with some cycle lanes is probably to head over to the coast road south of Donabate although that will add some time to your journey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

frankroc wrote: »
    ...I am trying to find a route on google but am unsure if the roads are suitable for cycling...
    Here's a Strava segment from Lusk to Dorset Street showing the most shortest route. You can zoom in to see junctions etc. if you're not familiar with the route.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1634529?filter=overall (I've just noticed that I've slipped outside the top 10 - I'll have to get the finger out! :D)

It's fine for cycling. The only place where you need an extra bit of caution (particularly in inclement weather) is just past The Coachman's pub where you need to move from the left lane to the right - otherwise you'll end up on the motorway.

When you get to Dorset Street turn left at The Auld Triangle pub and onto Gardiner Street to access the IFSC.

If you're reasonably fit, you should do it in less than 1 hour.
    Beasty wrote: »
    There are a load of us cycle in from Skerries and certainly a few more head in from Lusk...
    .....and Rush. ;)

.....and Rush. ;)
    but they're stioll slower than the Skerries bunch....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I go out the ministers road, or sometimes Kilhedge lane instead of the Dublin road at rush hour, more space for the traffic to pass.

It's a bit of a worry at Blakes Cross, but making eye contact and a driver will let you in.

the Airport roundabout is usually ok, there's much less traffic than at Blakes X, you just have to move smartly right across a lane into the bus lane.
    There's bus lane from the Roundabout south of swords village almost all the way in, except bits of cycle lane only in Santry and Drumcondra.

I average 23/25kmh on a trip a bit further than the city centre.

Advertisement