Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing babies after birth??

Options
  • 05-04-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Is it true they don't do this now? that its healthier for the baby to stay covered in vernix for a couple of days?? i ask because a friend of a friend went to visit her sister in law a few days after she gave birth and she said she didn't wanna hold the baby cause it smelt like cheese!! hahaha. She wasn't being mean though as apparently the mom said it too:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

First time mums are given a bathing demonstration before they leave hospital usually after that I think you are on your own if you want to bathe your baby you can ask for use of the baby bath!

They don't wash baby immediately after birth just rub them down with a towel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was never given the demonstration but they did recommend not to bath my 1st for a few days.
    The 2nd girl had an explosive nappy and had to have a mini bath on day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Vernix has great antibacterial qualities and is eventually absorbed by the skin. Baths usually don't take place for at least 24 hours as newborns can't regulate their body temperature well and get stressed if cold.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My baby had to be washed because he was covered from head to toe in meconium.. My OH was told not to look at him until he was washed as it was so bad..

Normally though I think they just give them a good wipe and hand them to mammy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PuddingPie

My baby was covered in poo too! My husband actually looked at the nurses in horror when they handed her to him :D he couldn't believe they didn't wash her first. He actually ended up giving her her first bath when she was about 2 hours old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement