Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre-08 Diesel, under 2.0 litre, 6 speed

Options
  • 23-01-2012 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

I need ye to throw out a few suggestions, all knowing boardies fountian of knowledge:p.
    Looking for a car and the budget has taken a hit. So i'm looking for a car that fits the following criteria;
    1. 06 or 07
    2. Diesel
    3. Under 2.0 litre (Tax is a killer 2.0 or over, and has to be econmical)
    4. 6 Speed gearbox
    5. Manual

Is there such cars available. I'm looking far an avensis/a4 sized saloon (no mondeo, just dont like them). Going to be doing a lot of motorway milage between west cork and Northern Ireland. Might look at a focus (like the focus) sized car if it fits the above critera.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I need ye to throw out a few suggestions, all knowing boardies fountian of knowledge:p.
    Looking for a car and the budget has taken a hit. So i'm looking for a car that fits the following criteria;
    1. 06 or 07
    2. Diesel
    3. Under 2.0 litre (Tax is a killer 2.0 or over, and has to be econmical)
    4. 6 Speed gearbox
    5. Manual

Is there such cars available. I'm looking far an avensis/a4 sized saloon (no mondeo, just dont like them). Going to be doing a lot of motorway milage between west cork and Northern Ireland. Might look at a focus (like the focus) sized car if it fits the above critera.

Octavia vRS? Now that injectors are being covered under a recall they arent a bad buy. Good midrange for the motorway, 45mpg easily and plenty of extras.

All depends on budget however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

320d?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Vectra / Saab 9-3 / 159 with the 1.9 Diesel in either 120 or 150ps.

Should be able to pick one of them up cheap enough. Alternatively, an A6 2.0Tdi would be a nice bus for big mileage, but may be pushing the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm would be every bit as pratacle as a 3dr Focus but alot sexier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP, you do realise the difference between taxing a 1.9 and a 2.0 is about €36?

The increments get silly after 2.0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Fizman wrote: »

Ha hardly the the straw to break the camels back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I didnt realise that... i thought that there was over a 100 yoyos difference 1.9 to 2.0 on pre-08..... My bad.
    a 2.0 litre is over €600, am i right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Go for a Passat diesel or if on budget go for Skoda octavia diesel very reliable and cheap to run boot space huge and nice driver

1,901 to 2,000
    2,001 to 2,100

There is €183 difference according to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Almost every 2.0 is under 2000cc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yup.....you're comparing the wrong rates (for the majority, as Anan said).

Go for a Passat diesel or if on budget go for Skoda octavia diesel very reliable and cheap to run boot space huge and nice driver
    Can i get both of these with 6 speed gearbox pre-08?
    I was waiting for that comment from someone:D Octavia and is huge boot space!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why the obsession with a 6 speed gearbox/

Can i get both of these with 6 speed gearbox pre-08?
    I was waiting for that comment from someone:D Octavia and is huge boot space!
    I forgot to add the smiley ;) thanks for that. You will be able to get all modern diesel cars with 6 speed check out carzone and donedeal. You can add what you are looking for which will make an easier search for you

kceire wrote: »
    More fuel efficient as lower revs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

This is not always the case ;).

not strictly true, my other halves E90 is more efficient at motorway speeds in 5th rather than 6th.

not strictly true, my other halves E90 is more efficient at motorway speeds in 5th rather than 6th.
    Possible.
    And majority of 5-speed gerboxed cars are more efficient when driven in 4th gear (at lower speed) that in 5th.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Possible.
    And majority of 5-speed gerboxed cars are more efficient when driven in 4th gear (at lower speed) that in 5th.

mad isint it :D
    My 530d is more econimical at 85mph than it is at 70-75mph too, its a strange strange world :D

mad isint it :D
    Oh yes, very much :). But some people still wouldn't believe it.
    My 530d is more econimical at 85mph than it is at 70-75mph too, its a strange strange world :D
    That is quite strange actually, but not impossible. I bet your car is more economical at 80-90 km/h on lower gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Six speed gearboxes make a car quieter on the motorway as well, because of the lower revs. Unless the car is too underpowered and/or is overgeared, lower revs = lower fuel consumption almost always. Another advantage of it running at lower revs is that you are reducing engine wear - lower revs = less wear and tear on the crankshaft, pistons etc (because they are not turning over as quickly). Obviously going up a hill or something too low revs are a bad thing (you'll wear out the engine by labouring it for starters), and this is why sometimes a lower gear is more economical, but in general cars that cruise at lower revs use less fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Matthewjohn

How about a Volvo S40 2.0d or for lower tax 1.6d there comfortable and are good value for the spec.

A lot of car companies now do the 1.6diesel but I had a 1.6d focus and it wasnt that good on diesel I found 2ltr better Road tax is a killer before 2008

Its all how you drive your car its all to do with driving style

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm sorry but €600 road tax is not what I would consider to be a "killer".

Owning a decent engined car and paying upwards of €1500 and as much as €2258 in some cases most certainly is a "killer" though!

Irish people have a very funny attitude when it comes to car tax. They'll happily spend a few grand more on a car to save two or three euro a week:eek:. It's madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Laguna Privilege 2008 !!!!

Seweryn wrote: »
    Oh yes, very much :). But some people still wouldn't believe it.

That is quite strange actually, but not impossible. I bet your car is more economical at 80-90 km/h on lower gear.

Its auto so dont know. if i sit at 70mph on the motorway it will sit around the 40mpg mark, but as i get to in and around 80mph, and cruise at that, the revs drop and the mpg marker sits at 50. Thats when im in an eco mood :D

my long term mpg is 26.

Motorway from cork to nerwy twice a week. It allows me curise at lower revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Motorway from cork to nerwy twice a week. It allows me curise at lower revs.

This is not always the case. You need to look at gearing and diff ratios to see which has a lower engine speed for a given road speed.

Also, most 6 speed gearboxes are fitted to compinsate for the narrow power band in modern diesel engines, not to give a lower engine speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yes they do but you're still only talking an extra 265 eur a year and you could have a Honda Accord

Plenty good examples out there

Advertisement