Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jetta Alternatives

• 16-01-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

The only need I have is that I can get my golf clubs and trolley in and out of the boot easily.

I've only lately discovered that saloons are the best fit for this. Max engine size I would go for is 1.6, that leaves me with the Jetta. I don't mind if it's a bit boring, exterior looks well but interior lacks extras. Never drove a car without an armrest so not sure what my left hand will be getting up to.

Alternative suggestions welcomes. Have 8k max.

Petrol only please, don't do big mileage.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Ford Focus saloon

Nissan Tiida or whatever it is called could surely be had cheaply and if you don't care how it looks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Whyner wrote: »
    The only need I have is that I can get my golf clubs and trolley in and out of the boot easily.

I've only lately discovered that saloons are the best fit for this. Max engine size I would go for is 1.6, that leaves me with the Jetta. I don't mind if it's a bit boring, exterior looks well but interior lacks extras. Never drove a car without an armrest so not sure what my left hand will be getting up to.

Alternative suggestions welcomes. Have 8k max.

Petrol only please, don't do big mileage.

Thanks.

Standard Boards answer to all things motoring

Skoda-Octavia-1.4-TSi-2.jpg

It's like a Jetta but cheaper and with better access to the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Standard Boards answer to all things motoring

Skoda-Octavia-1.4-TSi-2.jpg

It's like a Jetta but cheaper and with better access to the boot

Why is there so few in 1.6?

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Ford Focus saloon

Nissan Tiida or whatever it is called could surely be had cheaply and if you don't care how it looks...

Deadly, a slip up in my research. Didn't know that, 526 is massive:

Having a boot rather than a hatchback tailgate means the Focus saloon doesn't offer the flexibility of the hatchback or estate - the boot is also quite high off the ground, so can be quite difficult to access. But with 526 litres of luggage space it offers more than the hatch (which offers 385 litres) plus comes with folding seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The focus saloon is awkward for Golf clubs. The opening is very tight.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    The focus saloon is awkward for Golf clubs. The opening is very tight.

Cheers, need to add notes when I'm crossing them off the list in future :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Why is there so few in 1.6?

I've wondered the same thing, all I can see is a plethora of 1.4 hogs and the odd 1.8

Hhhmmmm, not many other decent options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Hhhmmmm, not many other decent options

If the only requirement is that you can get golf clubs and a trolley in the back then there are so many different options OP..

Skoda Octavia
    Citroen C5
    Toyota Avensis
    Mercedes C-Class
    Honda Accord etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ford Mondeo 1.6 saloon:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=413264479732970

Huge boot as well as interior space. Downside is that the 1.6 is slugish and not that frugal but shouldn't be much of an issue doing small mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ford Mondeo 1.6 saloon:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=413264479732970

Huge boot as well as interior space. Downside is that the 1.6 is slugish and not that frugal but shouldn't be much of an issue doing small mileage.
    TINY OPENING

My mother has one, big boot when you get in there but the opening is way too narrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hatchback/lift back better than saloon, easier to lift stuff in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Hatchback/lift back better than saloon, easier to lift stuff in.

Agreed. Especially liftback cars make you forget saloons when it comes to boot access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same space, better access. Avensis being a prime example, I have stuff in the back of my boot that I haven't seen in years.

So I got this car checked out by a mechanic and it's faultless:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Jetta/JETTA-CO/201139204654269/advert?channel=CARS

Rang him last night and only got him down to 6,800. Rehearsed the strategy beforehand but didn't go to plan :)

He's getting it serviced today also. The colour has grown on me. Good deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Shot in the dark here.

A buddy of mine had a Saab93 and both him and his wife played Golf. One set in the boot and one set in the back seat.

He wanted to downsize his car while also being able to get both sets in the boot.
    He was stuck for words when both sets went into the boot of what I was driving at the time, I know you said no diesels but this thing is a miser on diesel.Group A tax. 3cyl engine a bit rattly when on tickover but grand when moving along.
    Bang on your price range as well. Might be worth a look if it is a small car you need?
    The boot is Huge, I had 2 people in there for the craic one day and could easily fit another. :)
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Cordoba/1.4-TDI-/201143205176960/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

So I got this car checked out by a mechanic and it's faultless:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Jetta/JETTA-CO/201139204654269/advert?channel=CARS

Rang him last night and only got him down to 6,800. Rehearsed the strategy beforehand but didn't go to plan :)

He's getting it serviced today also. The colour has grown on me. Good deal?

Have you considered a SEAT Leon or Altea? You get way more kit and for the same price as the Jetta you can get one with the 125 BHP tsi engine.

Miles better than he pedestrian 1.6. Or see if you can get a Jetta in your price range with the tsi engine.

Leon boot is too small

Don't like the Altea, like a people carrier

Can't see any jettas with the tsi engine in my range

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

If the car is in good nick, then it is a well specced car for the money.

I know the engine is not exactly a rocket, but you're not paying a lot either and I'm sure it is fine for normal driving.

Not too sure what the long term reliability of that engine is like. I know the 1.4 seems to have a bad rep around here.

Advertisement