Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost job - downgrade

• 26-10-2011 2:16pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I lost my job last week and as such have to downgrade the car.

At the moment I'm driving an 04 Audi A4 TDI and would look to get something of similar power. Was maybe thinking of a golf TDI - mark IV.

Question is, how much should I be selling my car for and what can I get for ~€5000.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Advert!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Sorry to hear of the job loss man.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

INEEDANID wrote: »
    Advert!

And yet you feel the need to bump your post count before reporting.

Edited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Firstly sorry for your loss of job, I'm sure it's tough.

It's a good time to be selling that type of car I think now because everybody seems to want an A4 diesel of that vintage..

It looks minty too and very well specced. As for what it's worth a quick glance at some of the websites indicate that somewhere between €6.5k and €7.5k are what they are going for privately...

I'd throw it up at €6950 and see if there's any interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

166man wrote: »
    Firstly sorry for your loss of job, I'm sure it's tough.

It's a good time to be selling that type of car I think now because everybody seems to want an A4 diesel of that vintage..

It looks minty too and very well specced. As for what it's worth a quick glance at some of the websites indicate that somewhere between €6.5k and €7.5k are what they are going for privately...

I'd throw it up at €6950 and see if there's any interest.

Thanks very much. It's pretty crap being unemployed but it hasn't all set in yet so still enjoying the few days off :)

I was looking on carzone and just saw some people selling theirs for prices ranging from 5k-10k...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry you lost the job, dude :(

At least your car is still worth a few bob. Now's a good time to sell it as it's nearly 8 years old with a lot of depreciation still to do
    Was maybe thinking of a golf TDI - mark IV.

You sure you should get diesel? A petrol car is so much cheaper to buy leaving you the extra grand or two in your bank account that you might need to live on until you get another job. And I presume you're going to do a lot less miles while you don't have a job

Thanks very much. It's pretty crap being unemployed but it hasn't all set in yet so still enjoying the few days off :)

I was looking on carzone and just saw some people selling theirs for prices ranging from 5k-10k...

No problem, you are right to enjoy the time off!

As for the car, prices seem to vary massively on these A4's but your's is a nice one so I would look to price it higher. Remember many of the cars for sale on Carzone are sold through dealers who have their margin added into the price.

Maybe my valuation was a little low, maybe €7250 could be a better option and see if anyone bites, if not the price can always come down.

Happy selling :)

Sorry to hear about your job :(

Selling it privately and buying a Golf diesel for €5000 ish I can't see putting too much cash in your pocket, you'll struggle to get €6500for the A4 I would think, obviously it costs little enough to run and you won't be saving tax or fuel going to a Golf diesel as the A4 is frugal enough.

If you actually want to put cash in your pocket while still getting decent mpg I'd buy a sub €2000 406 or C5 diesel.

Otherwise I don't see the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

link to ad? might be interested.....

unkel wrote: »
    Sorry you lost the job, dude :(

At least your car is still worth a few bob. Now's a good time to sell it as it's nearly 8 years old with a lot of depreciation still to do

You sure you should get diesel? A petrol car is so much cheaper to buy leaving you the extra grand or two in your bank account that you might need to live on until you get another job. And I presume you're going to do a lot less miles while you don't have a job

Thanks very much.

To be honest, I haven't put a huge amount of thought into what I'd like to downgrade too, just something with similar power. I'm open to any and all suggestions you might have. Was thinking that if I could sell the car for 8 I'd buy something for 5 but it's not looking like 8 is a realistic figure.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your job :(

Selling it privately and buying a Golf diesel for €5000 ish I can't see putting too much cash in your pocket, you'll struggle to get €6500for the A4 I would think, obviously it costs little enough to run and you won't be saving tax or fuel going to a Golf diesel as the A4 is frugal enough.

If you actually want to put cash in your pocket while still getting decent mpg I'd buy a sub €2000 406 or C5 diesel.

Otherwise I don't see the point.
    Thanks RJ, at the end of it I'm hoping to get about €1,500 - €2,000 cash back and another car.

link to ad? might be interested.....

It's not an ad yet, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Op, sorry for your job loss.

My advice, keep your car. You have a car, you know your car. Every single "cheap" TDI Mkiv is a POS, and you'll search a long time before you'll find a clean one, and even at that you'll probably spend upwards of €2,000-€2,500.

I know €2,500 is alot of money, but unless you have a loan out against the car, I'd keep it. Better the devil you know, and all that.

My advice, keep your car. You have a car, you know your car. Every single "cheap" TDI Mkiv is a POS, and you'll search a long time before you'll find a clean one, and even at that you'll probably spend upwards of €2,000-€2,500.

I know €2,500 is alot of money, but unless you have a loan out against the car, I'd keep it. Better the devil you know, and all that.

But now is a good time to be selling a diesel A4 especially a clean one so prices are kind of high. I agree stay away from a MK4 TDi Golf though many are knackered at this stage. Try and sell for 6-7k and spend maybe 3-4k on something reliable petrol and Japanese.

I've a loan on the car :o

My redundancy though is covered through the PPI I took on the loan but I still want rid of it as I can't afford the €80+ fill ups anymore.

...So I guess MKIV TDI's are bad

...................t I'm driving an 04 Audi A4 TDI ..................

.................. I still want rid of it as I can't afford the €80+ fill ups anymore.

You need to sit down and do your sums, you have one of the most fuel efficient cars out there from 2004, if you genuinely can't afford to fuel it than a moped might be an option.

But you need to do your sums, the A4 should be returning 40+ mpg

RoverJames wrote: »
    You need to sit down and do your sums, you have one of the most fuel efficient cars out there from 2004, if you genuinely can't afford to fuel it than a moped might be an option.

But you need to do your sums, the A4 should be returning 40+ mpg

It does, I get around 38+ from it but I won't be crossing the city anymore. I was doing ~80 miles a day, now I'm doing 3. At most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

It does, I get around 38+ from it but I won't be crossing the city anymore. I was doing ~80 miles a day, now I'm doing 3. At most.
    Filling any 55+ litre tank will cost you the guts of €80.
    Your A4 (as stated) is a VERY fuel efficent car for that year.
    If you are going to downgrade - prepare to downgrade and take a hit on power also.
    There is no easy way of downgrading and keeping a wad of cash. Something's gota give.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I've a loan on the car :o

My redundancy though is covered through the PPI I took on the loan but I still want rid of it as I can't afford the €80+ fill ups anymore.

I was made redundant too, 4years ago for nearly a year (so back in employment 2years) , not good! But without sounding too smart, what are you on about with EUR80 fillups.. you do realise that without a job to drive to, you wont be filling up tanks of fuel!

If I was you and really wanted to turn that car into cash I would buy something grossly undervalued that performs well (an under 3k Alfa springs to mind) and run a mile from a Golf. Terribly overpriced and dull cars (even worse than A4s! :p) .

Also check into the legalities of selling a car with a loan outstanding (car loan or personal loan?). Otherwise as noted, this is a pointless exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Sorry about the job loss.

My opinion is if you can afford to meet the repayments keep the car. Its a decent car and I'm taking it it runs fine as you have mentioned no problems so hopefully you have no repairs coming up etc.

You don't have to fill the car up.....you are doing small mileage now so you don't need a full tank and might strike lucky and get a job that you have a bit of driving to do.....you'll have a very decent car that is excellent on fuel. You could end up with not much money once you have traded down and you'll never know if a car has no problems on a short test drive....it could take a week or two after you have bought it and then you'll be in a worse situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Sorry to hear about your job.

You'll prob get €6800 for your car if you are lucky at this stage.

Take a peek through the Bangernomics thread buy a car and live off the change (€5,800) you'll need it all being unemployed :)

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I was made redundant too, 4years ago for nearly a year (so back in employment 2years) , not good! But without sounding too smart, what are you on about with EUR80 fillups.. you do realise that without a job to drive to, you wont be filling up tanks of fuel!

If I was you and really wanted to turn that car into cash I would buy something grossly undervalued that performs well (an under 3k Alfa springs to mind) and run a mile from a Golf. Terribly overpriced and dull cars (even worse than A4s! :p) .

Also check into the legalities of selling a car with a loan outstanding (car loan or personal loan?). Otherwise as noted, this is a pointless exercise.

It's a personal loan.

I guess with the low mileage it wouldn't make that much of a difference as you say but I just don't think I need that type of car anymore.

Seems to me that most people suggest I hold onto it? Would I be right in saying that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much left on your car to pay? If you have a loan, you may hope to clear it, and get another car with the remainder, but you also get the problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Like others have said, I'd probably hang onto the car. If you want similar power with a new car, you're looking probably at similar tax/insurance and fuel costs, or possibly even higher if you switch to a petrol car.

Your only saving is the cheaper purchase price of a new car. But you have to clear your loan first too. So let's say you get €7k for this car, and have to pay off €2k on the loan, you only have €5k left to buy something else, which limits the budget further if you want to have money in your pocket when all's done.

The cost of filling up might be €80-90 but it's probably only going to be once every 4-5 weeks.

The A4 is a comfortable cruiser for the few long trips you might take and it's a known quantity for you.

If you're really set on changing, you could consider going to an older version of the car you have: it was introduced in 2001, so if you go back a few years you could make a saving.

I have a '99 Passat TDI and when I was let go from my job a few years ago, I was asked why I didn't sell it and get something smaller. I liked the power and comfort of the car, as well as the carrying capacity (it's an estate) and it was completely paid for. So once I could afford fuel, tax and insurance, it was fine, and I do a lot of maintenance myself too.

Bottom line: do some sums with solid data and see where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

Would a petrol engine not be more suited to your needs with the huge drop in miles your doing?

the_syco wrote: »
    How much left on your car to pay? If you have a loan, you may hope to clear it, and get another car with the remainder, but you also get the problems with it.

6.6k but as I said, I've PPI so the insurance company are going to take over my repayments until I get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Kevvv wrote: »
    Would a petrol engine not be more suited to your needs with the huge drop in miles your doing?

Yes it would.

If I lost my job in the morning, I would be trading my turbo petrol Mazda for a 1.8 Corolla T Sport, which with 192bhp is still fast and loads available for 3k.

You can pick up mint petrol Accord's, Primera's, Carisma's for nothing.

A primera is chain driven, very cheap motoring.

Clean one here for less than 1k.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2635983

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Sorry to hear about the job loss, but don't make any hasty decisions.

If you like the car, hang on to it for a couple of weeks until you see what the job market is like. There's a lot of people unemployed, sure, but with the right skills or experience you could find yourself back in a job in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Id say you'd end up regetting selling a car like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

6.6k but as I said, I've PPI so the insurance company are going to take over my repayments until I get a job.

Keep it in that case. You're not going to get something as good without lining someones pockets. Plus that's a cheap car to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

EPM wrote: »
    Keep it in that case. You're not going to get something as good without lining someones pockets. Plus that's a cheap car to run.

I would agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hey all,

I lost my job last week and as such have to downgrade the car.

At the moment I'm driving an 04 Audi A4 TDI and would look to get something of similar power. Was maybe thinking of a golf TDI - mark IV.

Question is, how much should I be selling my car for and what can I get for ~€5000.

You could have a look at this > http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69369

Might not be everyone cup of tea but I think it looks a nice car.
    With a wad of cash I reckon 4k would buy it, Should be lighter on diesel than your A4.
    If you need a bit more go the Joe Power should be able to sort something in that area for you .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No point, especially if you end up needing to "upgrade" again when you get another job. Hang on to it, better off

Ok so the running theme here seems to be hold onto it for a wee while 'til I can figure something out.

Thanks for input and kind words!

I'll hold off doing anything just yet and shop around for a new job before shopping for a new car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

38 mpg? economical? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement