Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling car privatly

• 23-01-2012 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Hi guys im selling my car privatly and I have a person coming to look at it later on....

Can somebody tell me the procedure I go through if he decides to take it??

Should I give him the car there and then if he offers me cash, and then send off the registration cert to shannon....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

If its cash and your suspicious you might want to lodge it in bank first before release of car.....your call. Do not accept a cheque and if you get a bank draught lodge it first to confirm authentic, do not hand over vehicle reg cert but post it yourself to Shannon in case other issues arise. Also as the seller issue an invoice confirming sale. The buyer may ask you to sign stating finance is not owing on car. He should have this check done anyway prior to sale.

If buyer comes to your house, make sure you have others in the house in case buyers mates would li,e to do a job on your gaff while your out for a test drive. Finally if buyer asks can his mate join you for a test drive for the happy family outing, don't go there......you might end up walking home. last car I sold , buyer very hesitant to relay his personal info, shat myself when he should me his Garda id. You just can't be too careful, there's a lot of shysters out there likewise genuine good people.

Besta luck on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Bearcat wrote: »
    If its cash and your suspicious you might want to lodge it in bank first before release of car.....your call. Do not accept a cheque and if you get a bank draught lodge it first to confirm authentic, do not hand over vehicle reg cert but post it yourself to Shannon in case other issues arise. Also as the seller issue an invoice confirming sale. The buyer may ask you to sign stating finance is not owing on car. He should have this check done anyway prior to sale.

If buyer comes to your house, make sure you have others in the house in case buyers mates would li,e to do a job on your gaff while your out for a test drive. Finally if buyer asks can his mate join you for a test drive for the happy family outing, don't go there......you might end up walking home. last car I sold , buyer very hesitant to relay his personal info, shat myself when he should me his Garda id. You just can't be too careful, there's a lot of shysters out there likewise genuine good people.

Besta luck on sale

Yeah I know, thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

as above. be very carefull about bringing a stranger to your home. maybe meet in a petrol station first, also if they want to take the car for a test drive make sure they are covered by insurance. either yours or their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

do not hand over vehicle reg cert but post it yourself to Shannon in case other issues arise.

That should be an unconditional statement i.e. under no circumstances should you hand over the cert. Put the date of the sale on the cert, fill it in as described on the back and post it to Shannon yourself.

The reason is because if you hand it to the buyer and he takes his time posting it to Shannon, you will start getting parking tickets and bills for the M50 toll in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

So conversely where do you stand when buying a car and the seller doesn't post the registration doc - could they say there was a problem with the sale etc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

coylemj wrote: »
    That should be an unconditional statement i.e. under no circumstances should you hand over the cert. Put the date of the sale on the cert, fill it in as described on the back and post it to Shannon yourself.

The reason is because if you hand it to the buyer and he takes his time posting it to Shannon, you will start getting parking tickets and bills for the M50 toll in the post.
    So conversely where do you stand when buying a car and the seller doesn't post the registration doc - could they say there was a problem with the sale etc??

Go to the post office together and that way you can both see that it has been sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

If you don't receive your log book within 10 days Shannon will send you a declaration form on request where you go to a notary public (solicitor) and sign a declaration stating you bought the car.....you send this back to Shannon where they liase with previous owner. Happened to me, the seller was so p!ssed off at the price I haggled him down to, I'd say he flushed the paper work down the JAX. Shannon were very good in sorting me documentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Park it with no ticket in a pay and display spot in Dun Laoghaire (no clamping) for a few days, that should get him moving. Avoid the harbour where the harbour police do clamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

last car I sold , buyer very hesitant to relay his personal info, shat myself when he should me his Garda id. You just can't be too careful, there's a lot of shysters out there likewise genuine good people.

Could have been a fake ID too....:rolleyes:

Advertisement