Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuppa between Farran and Macroom of a Saturday morning?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if there's some sort of tea room, cafe, or indeed a pub opening for the cuppa-and-scone sort of trade in the early part of the day at the weekend, in the area past Farran (which I know has two tearooms these days -- and no pub!) but not going as far from the city as Macroom. Maybe going as far south as Brinny, Cross Barry, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Not sure of the opening hours of either but I would imagine the either Dan Sheehan's pub in Srelane or Mai Fitz's on Lissarda would sort you out. I've had breakfast in Mai Fitz's a while ago so they're probably still open on sat morning.

There's also the café attached to the garage in Beal na Blath or Barretts in Coppeen but that's probably too far west.

You won't go thirsty anyway.:D

Edit: Sorry, Dan Sheehan's is the wrong side of Farran for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's some sort of tea room, cafe, or indeed a pub opening for the cuppa-and-scone sort of trade in the early part of the day at the weekend, in the area past Farran (which I know has two tearooms these days -- and no pub!) but not going as far from the city as Macroom. Maybe going as far south as Brinny, Cross Barry, etc.

Im not sure if the Farran Panrty is one of the tea rooms your talking about or not but its the only place i know of in the area. Its open 830-6 i think in saturdays and 10-1 on sundays.
    Nice fresh scones and cakes and not too bad price wise. €7 for tea and scones for 2 which includes jam and butter.
    the lee valley golf club is also open weekends and does tea, coffee, scones and full irish etc. Its a lovely spot for dinner so id imagine it does a decent scone or breakfast. Its just off the road, up towards farran woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The Peanut wrote: »
    Not sure of the opening hours of either but I would imagine the either Dan Sheehan's pub in Srelane or Mai Fitz's on Lissarda would sort you out. I've had breakfast in Mai Fitz's a while ago so they're probably still open on sat morning.

There's also the café attached to the garage in Beal na Blath or Barretts in Coppeen but that's probably too far west.
    .red. wrote: »
    Im not sure if the Farran Panrty is one of the tea rooms your talking about or not but its the only place i know of in the area. Its open 830-6 i think in saturdays and 10-1 on sundays.
    Nice fresh scones and cakes and not too bad price wise. €7 for tea and scones for 2 which includes jam and butter.
    the lee valley golf club is also open weekends and does tea, coffee, scones and full irish etc. Its a lovely spot for dinner so id imagine it does a decent scone or breakfast. Its just off the road, up towards farran woods.

Yeah, knew about the Farran Pantry and Dan Sheehan's -- bit too close to the city to be optimal. And Barretts much too far!

Had forgotten about Mai Fitz's! Hadn't thought of the golf club either, good call. And the Beal na Blath cafe I'd not heard of at all, good call. Thanks, will investigate those all!

I know there's a pub in Cloughduv and a couple in Crookstown. Don't know that any of 'em would be catering for the lunchtime tea-and-scone trade, though...

Yeah, knew about the Farran Pantry and Dan Sheehan's -- bit too close to the city to be optimal. And Barretts much too far!

Had forgotten about Mai Fitz's! Hadn't thought of the golf club either, good call. And the Beal na Blath cafe I'd not heard of at all, good call. Thanks, will investigate those all!

I know there's a pub in Cloughduv and a couple in Crookstown. Don't know that any of 'em would be catering for the lunchtime tea-and-scone trade, though...

The chesnut in cloughduv doesnt do food anyway. One of the pubs in crookstown was advertising food a while back, not sure it still does or not and cant remember which one. The cafe in beal na blath is worth checking out too. Forgot about that one.
    Theres a really nice walk in Lissarda that we sometimes use for a picnic. A flask of tea and a few scones always tastes better outdoors. Theres picnic seats 30seconds walk from the car if that could be an option?

.red. wrote: »
    The chesnut in cloughduv doesnt do food anyway. One of the pubs in crookstown was advertising food a while back, not sure it still does or not and cant remember which one. The cafe in beal na blath is worth checking out too. Forgot about that one.
    Theres a really nice walk in Lissarda that we sometimes use for a picnic. A flask of tea and a few scones always tastes better outdoors. Theres picnic seats 30seconds walk from the car if that could be an option?

Will poll the Crookstown pubs... it's a short list, after all. I'm sure one of the Aherla bars has in the past done teas and food, but that might be "by arrangement" rather than a regular or off-the-cuff thing.

Bike, not car. Hence the unreasonably specific distance constraints, and the not wanting to carry flasks, etc!

Just discovered an intriguing-looking caff in Toon's Bridge... but that's a really long way for a day trip...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Will poll the Crookstown pubs... it's a short list, after all. I'm sure one of the Aherla bars has in the past done teas and food, but that might be "by arrangement" rather than a regular or off-the-cuff thing.

Bike, not car. Hence the unreasonably specific distance constraints, and the not wanting to carry flasks, etc!

Just discovered an intriguing-looking caff in Toon's Bridge... but that's a really long way for a day trip...

The 2 pubs in Crookstown are Cliffords and The Cornerstone. Passed through this morning and Cliffords has a sign up for tea/coffee and all-day breakfast; might suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The Peanut wrote: »
    The 2 pubs in Crookstown are Cliffords and The Cornerstone. Passed through this morning and Cliffords has a sign up for tea/coffee and all-day breakfast; might suit.

What about Griffin's on the coachford Rd at Dripsey

What about Griffin's on the coachford Rd at Dripsey
    Sorry, was taking that one for granted I guess. :) Was more thinking about south of the reservoir, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Norah Hickey will look after you once the arrangement is made in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

There's a beautiful new tea rooms in farran up closer to the woods. If you go up farran hill (by farran pantry) take a right at + roads. You will come to a fork in the road take the tight right turn (straight on brings you to the woods) & few hundred meters up that road you will see a little sign for tea rooms & it's fab!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Farnanes: The Thady Inn does tea/coffee, soup and sandwiches etc. I don't think scones though.

madrabui wrote: »
    Farnanes: The Thady Inn does tea/coffee, soup and sandwiches etc. I don't think scones though.

Ooo, good one -- didn't know about that one at all (though I must have passed it at some stage). Must investigate their precise set of sweet snack options!

aisling86 wrote: »
    There's a beautiful new tea rooms in farran up closer to the woods.
    Will second the recommend -- very nice and cosy. That's one of the two I originally alluded to in the OP, though. :)

aisling86 wrote: »
    There's a beautiful new tea rooms in farran up closer to the woods. If you go up farran hill (by farran pantry) take a right at + roads. You will come to a fork in the road take the tight right turn (straight on brings you to the woods) & few hundred meters up that road you will see a little sign for tea rooms & it's fab!!

We went up here last friday as a little birthday treat for my daughter. Your directions were spot on!
    Lovely little place, nice fresh scones with jam and cream. Quite reasonable too. 2 scones, tea for 2, apple pie with ice cream and a glass of lemonade came to €12 which i thought was good.
    Ill be heading there again.

Advertisement