Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choosing a place to live - Youghal or Skibbereen?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rodrigues

What does you husband do in the navy, could be work for him in Whiddy or Cork harbour , good load of French around Bantry stealing our sea urchins

He left the navy a few years ago and now he's a civil servant - security guard really on an army base. In the navy he was in munitions. Canons and stuff :-). Don't know if there'd be much call for that ;-)

OP,I had a fast look here for you.One here in Rosscarbery(not too far from Clonakilty).It is 3 bed and also has 2 attic rooms.There is the Gaelscoil in Clonakilty.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=742239
    Actually, looking into that ad a bit more that house looks like it could be affected by coastal erosion...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

i live in west cork, bantry is the nearest town but saying that its a good 25 mins drive, i get decent internet from http://www.digitalforge.ie/
    they have a coverage map on their site so if you decide to move down this way you can see what areas get coverage from them.
    my personal advice would if you can have a good drive around west cork if you can, explore the area and you might find somewhere you wouldnt of thought of.
    If i had to pick Youghal or skibbereen id honestly pick skibb but i prefer living a bit more out in the sticks than living in a town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Moved to Clonakilty 10 years ago with my (non Irish) wife and 3 kids (all under 10). Best thing we ever did. We knew nobody but were welcomed and quickly settled.
    Personally, I wouldn't let house prices dictate where I live as generally there is a reason why houses are cheaper in some places compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

I bought a house in Youghal a few years ago and I'm quite happy with my decision to move here. I'm also self-employed but I need to do a lot of travelling. I wanted a place by the sea within easy access to a main road and Youghal fits the bill perfectly. There are very nice beaches nearby (my favourite is Whiting Bay near Ardmore). The problem with this place is that too many houses were built in the boom years for a series of failed businesses, and there's virtually nothing going on in the town outside of the summer months so you have to go to Midleton or Dungarvan to do your shopping. But I've never felt like an outsider here, and I'm not Irish either.
    If you need any more information about Youghal let me know, I hope I can help you online or in person if you decide to come and check the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭factnee

I'm from Skibbereen and personally would not move there to raise children if you are thinking of staying there long term. It's too far away from the main urban centres where, let's face it, your kids will most likely move to go to college or find work - I know it seems like a long way off now but the day will come... Given the distance involved even to Cork, they'll be less likely to come home for Sunday dinner or even just drop by during the week - it's nearly a 3 hour round trip to Cork. Of my five siblings the closest any one of us is to Skibb is 60 miles away in Cork and he only makes it home once a fortnight - it's just too far to be doing every week. It's also a big effort for my parents to see their grandkids who are dotted all over the country - that day too will come.
    As for Youghal it's an absolute kip and along with Cobh is one of the last places in Cork I would recommend that anybody move to even though it's a lot closer to the city. There is no life in the town as an awful lot of the businesses there have closed down. I would agree with the other posters here and would choose Clonakilty or somewhere just outside this. It's just that much closer to Cork and you could easily get there in less than two hours return.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Originally from Midleton but now living in Youghal! As previous posters have said, Youghal has its good and bad points. Yes you do have your usual scumbags and boy racers but what town doesn't have them!

At first, i wasn't to happy about moving down here cause i knew nobody but the wife is an only child and has lived here all her life so not much option really, but having lived here for the past 7 years, its not that bad :D

Good points
    Plenty of beaches to go for a walk, also woodland about 15 mins away
    Midleton and Dungarvan are only about 20 mins drive - Cork and Waterford about an hour
    Excellent gym/pool
    Rugby and soccer clubs
    Gaelscoil - my son started there last year
    Broadband - i have imagine BB and im on 10 meg line so am quiet happy
    As far as I know, there are at least 2 French families living in the town, well the hubbies are from France. 1 is a coach with the local soccer team and 1 runs a bakery in the town so at least you have a chance of making some friends! lol
    Ardmore open farm or Fota wildlife park for the kids
    Midleton distillery, drive thru cinema in carrigtwohill (10 mins from Midleton)
    There are soccer camps on during the summer for the younger kids
    Mackerel/Medievil/Queen of the sea/Youghaloween festivals every year - all free
    There is a food market in the town but its only ok, Midleton farmers market is better
    Mahon point shopping centre and Dungarvan shopping centre are close
    For the most part, people are friendly
    Bus service every hour to Cork or Waterford

Bad points
    Very little employment in the area
    Nothing to do at night for teenagers - which leads to antisocial behaviour
    LOTS of hills!
    Prone to flooding in the town
    No train service - although there is one in Midleton

Both of the following are quiet areas of the town (up the same hill as me!)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=731431

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=730048

Anyway, if ya need to know more, dont hesitate to PM me with any questions!

Good luck in what ever choice you make aswell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

I agree with Midleton, buzzing town.
    Near city. Nearer to the ferry terminal (Brittany Ferries) for France.
    Nearer to hospitals. (Hopefully you won't need them).

Or how about the village of Castlemartyr, on the Youghal side of Midleton, very near Garryvoe beach/Ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭muddled1

I have lived in Skibb for close to 20 years - this place is not at all welcoming to "foreigners"! I have found it very cliquie and this has been extended to my child. I find the mentality of many of the locals quite narrow, almost backwards. Many can be quite intrusive about your background. This has been my personal experience and speaking frankly to some other "blow-ins" I am not alone.

There is nothing here for older children and if you find you need to take your child to the hospital you have the most of 2 hours to drive (unless they can be treated in Bantry). As someone else said, it also far from any third level schools which should be taken into consideration.

I don't know what Clon natives are like but it is that bit closer to the city and seems a much nicer town.....and they even have a cinema!

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is still following this thread, I would really like to thank all of you who took the time to post replies. We didn't make it for January, but the flights are booked for March :-).

I was really blown away by the response to the question -some people even spontaneously invited us up for coffee while we're house-hunting and others even went to the trouble of going to have a quick look at a house in their area.

Amazing.

Confirms all the more why I want to go home. I know things are bad, but I have never come across that kind of simple helpfulness anywhere else.

Thank you all so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

Just reading this now and wondering where you ended up? We have just relocated to East cork and this thread was handy. We still havemy fully decided on where to settle yet but we are in no rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OrlaWard

Which did you go for?
    We are looking at Youghal ourselves!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

Hello love to know did you move back and where did you settle.
    Thanks Rodriguez

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

We are thinking of youghal too......have had offer accepted on a fab house there and have to ring to confirm by tomorrow....or else a neg equity house in Fermoy area where we live, kids in school etc here, but not getting anywhere fast with them.......what to do!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I see some unflattering comments about Youghal my native town.Can people not talk about the merits of another town without dissing another one.We are Cork people after all.Youghal is a dump.Youghal is full of scumbags according to some people.No town is perfect but Youghal is the home of some of the warmest friendliest and most welcoming people in the country.Whoever you are there's a warm welcome in Youghal for you.The town has some brilliant old world architecture like the clock gate, a cathedral, Tyntes Castle, the medieval walls and the medieval alms houses.If you like history then there's plenty of it in County Corks oldest town.Not to mention a beach, a beautiful scenic harbour setting and a fine selection of pubs and restaurants and the town is within commuting distance of both Cork and Waterford cities.Cork hurling legend Seamie Harnedy went to school in the town.Champion jockey Davey Russell is from Youghal.I may be biased but i would argue with anyone that Youghal is a fine Irish town.:) Check out the beautiful villages within close proximity to the town of Killeagh on the right side of the Cork and Waterford border and Ardmore over the border in Waterford.You have Cork City within driving distance and beautiful West Waterford on you're doorstep.What more can you ask for in my opinion.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

From a Waterford man, I think Youghal is one of the most under rated towns in Ireland.

Not too many towns have a beach on their doorstep, and many others within a few miles. I find the Youghal people extremely friendly and very witty.

Its one of my favorite places in Cork and looking at the price of houses there, I believe it offers an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Youghal is a kip. Half the town is closed down.

Somewhere like Midleton, Castlemartyr or Rostellan would be nicer. Or better yet go to Ardmore, or Dungarvan or somewhere in West Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

HillFarmer wrote: »
    From a Waterford man, I think Youghal is one of the most under rated towns in Ireland.

Not too many towns have a beach on their doorstep, and many others within a few miles. I find the Youghal people extremely friendly and very witty.

Its one of my favorite places in Cork and looking at the price of houses there, I believe it offers an awful lot.

+1. I love Youghal and spend a couple of weekends a year down there. Find it to be extremely friendly. I especially enjoy Friday nights in Moby Dick's for the singing; there's always a warm welcome from the folk in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Luckily

Aglomerado wrote: »
    +1. I love Youghal and spend a couple of weekends a year down there. Find it to be extremely friendly. I especially enjoy Friday nights in Moby Dick's for the singing; there's always a warm welcome from the folk in there.

How does Youghal look today ? Is this place still the best one or something has been changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jodiejean

Rodrigues wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice. My husband and I have finally decided to move back to Ireland. We've decided, for various reasons to settle in Cork, but I'm a but lost as to where exactly would be a good place to live. Our situation briefly, is this; I'm 41, hubby is 42. He's French and will really need some work on his English. We have two kids, 2 yrs and 5 months. We want to send them to a Gaelscoil as I'm a fluent Irish speaker. We don't want to live more than 10 minutes from the sea. Hubby will be staying at home initially to look after the kids. I'm self employed, so will be trying to work from home. We can afford a small house with no mortgage - we have around €110k. But I need an office, and we'd like a garage and a garden. So.... Any thoughts? On paper, Youghal looks really good, easy access to city, Gaelscoil up to secondary, by the sea and houses are cheaper than Skibbereen. But I've seen a lot of comments online saying that it's a kip... Also, don't know how easy it is to make a life(socially) in either place? Neither if us has any contacts in the area and no family left in Ireland. All thoughts welcome!

Hi i was wondering what choice u made and if u r happy there now. Any regrest??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 saoirse2965

Hi... I too was wondering whereabouts you decided to settle. I am currently looking at Cork,but there aren't many pickings out there and prices are rising rapidly. I am considering Youghal as it seems more reasonable than the likes of Midleton.

Advertisement