Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Training

Options
  • 23-05-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I was looking into courses to do in java to increase my knowledge in it over the summer but cant find one that would start at where I've left off in my first year in college or run over the summer so I was wondering does anyone know of people that do one to one training in java on sections of it I can choose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I should probably point out I have 500 to start off with if I'm getting someone to tutor me (not sure how many hours I would get for that) or about 1500 if its a suitable course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Would you not get a book or look at tutorials? Here are good java beginner videos, http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=31 there are intermediate ones too etc.
    However if you wish to give me 500E i'm not going to stop you. Find some little programs you'd like to try out and code them out etc.

Would you not get a book or look at tutorials? Here are good java beginner videos, http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=31 there are intermediate ones too etc.
    However if you wish to give me 500E i'm not going to stop you. Find some little programs you'd like to try out and code them out etc.

I have two books which I am enjoying using and I like programming but i've noticed with kid/gf/college/work/work exams my time is limited and when I'm finished each of these i'm rarily motivated to do more study and I keep starting then getting pulled away by other commitments but if I have time scheduled for it in I wont ever skip studying it then.
    I paid for a fas online course in it and I've been going through that but its a horrible course and I wouldnt recomment it to anyone.
    I want to start learning java, and get started in these later in the summer (c++, php and phyton) over the summer and I think this will be the best way.
    Would you charge by the hour and if so how much p/h and what experience do you have with java?

I take it no interest or advice on courses then :confused:. I will leave it and see if there is anything else available.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Your better off doing some kind of project with small to medium goals and seeing how many of these you can tick off. These can be in the form of simple games, algorithms or just simple programs that use existing API's. If you post your interests I could possible come up with a few but this is how I've always learned (Learning by doing). 1 year of this method thought me like 4 years of comp science programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

mad turnip wrote: »
    Your better off doing some kind of project with small to medium goals and seeing how many of these you can tick off. These can be in the form of simple games, algorithms or just simple programs that use existing API's. If you post your interests I could possible come up with a few but this is how I've always learned (Learning by doing). 1 year of this method thought me like 4 years of comp science programming.

Sorry for hikacking this thread, I would be interested in something like this ?

threein99 wrote: »
    Sorry for hikacking this thread, I would be interested in something like this ?

well post what you've done up to now and I may have some ideas for you. Also include what parts of programming your interested in so I can try make it more fun.

well post what you've done up to now and I may have some ideas for you. Also include what parts of programming your interested in so I can try make it more fun.

Just finished second year, so we have covered a lot of object concepts but I feel I'm not fully up to speed something that would involve polymorphisim, inheritance, abstraction etc (I understand the theory of them just finding useful uses for each concept has me struggling a bit) we have covered the basics of GUI based programming as well, we made a calculator, currency converter etc.

threein99 wrote: »
    Just finished second year, so we have covered a lot of object concepts but I feel I'm not fully up to speed something that would involve polymorphisim, inheritance, abstraction etc (I understand the theory of them just finding useful uses for each concept has me struggling a bit) we have covered the basics of GUI based programming as well, we made a calculator, currency converter etc.

First off I presume all of the above was done in java if not tell me.

Ok well this assignment I did in my second year of engineering shouldn't be too bad for you.

Create a Microsoft paint like application using a GUI.
    It will allow the user to select the shape they wish to draw (rectanlge, eclipse, triangle etc)
    The drawing of shapes will be used using the Canvas class and the Graphics class.
    Polymorphisim should be used when drawing the shapes.
    All shapes should be contained in one list or vector.
    the application should support an "undo" function.

Furthering the Application:
    The application should support temporary drawing of shapes as you drag your mouse.
    Add basic networking support that will allow the application work like a whiteboard business like application.
    Add saving functionality so when a client disconnects their current session is saved.
    Add chat support in the networking side of things.

The main new concept I think is the Canvas and Graphics class if you have any other questions just post here if you think its a little too easy I can come up with some harder stuff.

First off I presume all of the above was done in java if not tell me.

Ok well this assignment I did in my second year of engineering shouldn't be too bad for you.

Create a Microsoft paint like application using a GUI.
    It will allow the user to select the shape they wish to draw (rectanlge, eclipse, triangle etc)
    The drawing of shapes will be used using the Canvas class and the Graphics class.
    Polymorphisim should be used when drawing the shapes.
    All shapes should be contained in one list or vector.
    the application should support an "undo" function.

Furthering the Application:
    The application should support temporary drawing of shapes as you drag your mouse.
    Add basic networking support that will allow the application work like a whiteboard business like application.
    Add saving functionality so when a client disconnects their current session is saved.
    Add chat support in the networking side of things.

The main new concept I think is the Canvas and Graphics class if you have any other questions just post here if you think its a little too easy I can come up with some harder stuff.

That's definitely not a complaint anyway, thanks will get cracking with that

• Advertisement
Advertisement