Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

FrStone wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are very much incorrect there. There is no obligation on an employer in Ireland to pay you for a minimum of 15 hours or indeed any amount of hours per week.

Zero hour contracts are actually common in lower paid jobs in Ireland, you are just out of touch.

Not exactly right either.....

A zero-hours contract of employment is a type of employment contract where the employee is available for work but does not have specified hours of work. If you have a zero-hours contract this means there is a formal arrangement that you are required to be available for a certain number of hours per week, or when required, or a combination of both. Employees on zero-hours contracts are protected by the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 but this does not apply to casual employment.

The Act requires that an employee under a zero-hours contract who works less than 25% of their hours in any week should be compensated. The level of compensation depends on whether the employee got any work or none at all. If the employee got no work, then the compensation should be either for 25% of the possible available hours or for 15 hours, whichever is less. If the employee got some work, they should be compensated to bring them up to 25% of the possible available hours.

For example, if you are required to be available for 20 hours per week, but you got no work, you would be entitled to be compensated for 15 hours or 25% of the 20 hours (that is, 5 hours), whichever is the less. In this case, 5 hours is the lesser amount. If, on the other hand, you got 3 hours' work out of the 20, you would be entitled to be compensated by 2 hours to bring you up to 25% of the contract hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

About 2 years ago I was offered a job in Claires and it was a 4 hr contract, so there are really bad contracts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Starbucks confirms that it's opening it's first city centre outlet in Princes Street next to Rocketman cafe. No longer a need to trek out to Mahon!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/starbucks-to-open-first-cork-city-centre-store-305727.html

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

ongarboy wrote: »
    Starbucks confirms that it's opening it's first city centre outlet in Princes Street next to Rocketman cafe. No longer a need to trek out to Mahon!

Going to Mahon is a bad enough and disspiriting experience a the best of times. Going there and drinking crap quality coffee sounds like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

mire wrote: »

Going to Mahon is a bad enough and disspiriting experience a the best of times. Going there and drinking crap quality coffee sounds like hell.

Ha ha. Starbucks to the adults is what Mc Donalds is to the kids.
    Marketing at its finest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

.red. wrote: »
    Ha ha. Starbucks to the adults is what Mc Donalds is to the kids.
    Marketing at its finest.

It's genius really, wouldn't mind working in marketing and laughing with all my colleagues at the sheep influenced by our work, ideally working for a company like Beats by Dre where idiots pay 1000% markup for inferior products, it'd be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

It's genius really, wouldn't mind working in marketing and laughing with all my colleagues at the sheep influenced by our work, ideally working for a company like Beats by Dre where idiots pay 1000% markup for inferior products, it'd be brilliant!

I know...how do they do it?? It looks so easy, I want in on that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I hope they don't ruin the English Market when they open access from the church and the Capitol. It's just perfect the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

interesting, you would think they choose a more centered or bigger location....good to see more jobs might be created through this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

celica00 wrote: »
    interesting, you would think they choose a more centered or bigger location....good to see more jobs might be created through this

In the US they are on every corner in a lot of cities. If they get the trade through the door this will be the first of many. They'll seek out places next to popular coffee shops to squeeze them out too. That will be a pity if it materialises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Richard Jacob of Idaho Cafe posts his thoughts on the news that Starbucks is coming to the city centre.

Interesting... I think it's fairly sad to see Starbucks coming to the city centre. Once again Cork is losing more of it's identity. It's a bit of a stinger too for the lads next door in Rocket Man; a local, young business. I hope it doesn't take much away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I have no interest in ever getting a coffee in Starbucks as it is probably crap and overpriced like the rest of the chains, but I think it's a bit pathetic to hear the likes of Idaho whinging about them arriving in Cork.

If Idaho and the rest provide good coffee at a reasonable price then they needn't worry. People will continue to go there. McDonalds might loose a few customers to Starbucks.

I find it interesting that Idaho doesnt open on Sundays (one of the busiest days surely) but then constantly gives out about others taking their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Léan wrote: »
    Richard Jacob of Idaho Cafe posts his thoughts on the news that Starbucks is coming to the city centre.

Interesting... I think it's fairly sad to see Starbucks coming to the city centre. Once again Cork is losing more of it's identity. It's a bit of a stinger too for the lads next door in Rocket Man; a local, young business. I hope it doesn't take much away from them.

I agree with Richards sentiment in his blog, Cork city needs more unique retailers rather than chain retailers.
    When I visit other cities I hate the ubiquitous nature of some of them, the ones I enjoy are ones with unique shops which bring more character and would leave me wanting to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Im a bit surprised at the location they picked kn the city center..as for the local shops complaining none of them open in the evening time after work.theres a big market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

..as for the local shops complaining none of them open in the evening time after work.theres a big market there.
    With any luck this will jumpstart a few more to try late opening because there is definitely a market for late cafes - I'm lead to believe the one in City Gate is doing great business in the evenings.

It is.u can spot the 1st dates a mile off in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ongarboy wrote: »

I see the local business owners are up in arms already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I bet they'll open at least 3 in the city centre before long.

Costa already have a very large presence.

I just hope it doesn't undermine the local stuff though there are some excellent coffee shops in Cork, just a shame none of them open past 6pm ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I see the local business owners are up in arms already.

tbh from what some of our local business owners have been saying on social media has kind of put me of going into their own businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Well if the locals actually provide high quality coffee that's actually worth the high cost and not the usual overpriced sh!te, including Starbucks, they shouldn't have anything to worry about since legitimate coffee lovers will be aware of them and seek them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think the local high quality coffee shops should be worried - after all, there's very little cross over between their market shares. The coffee fans will continue to go where they like (CCR, Filter, Idaho etc) and others will go to Costa/Starbucks.

In fact, having a Starbucks nearby could actually increase footfall for some retailers. Then there's the added benefit of employment. Plus, if Starbucks gets more people drinking coffee, then that's potentially more people for the indys to convert.

I actually really fail to see any major negatives. The recent news about Starbucks and Nandos shows that a bit of vibrancy is returning to Cork. (These brands will only open if there's a business case to support it). Hopefully, it will incentivise local retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭thomil

That second location seems to be a direct challenge to Costa Coffee. Looks like Starbucks has thrown down the gauntlet, I like it. I rarely ever manage to find a seat in any of the existing coffee shops when I'm in town, so any increase in capacity is welcome, from my perspective.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Hopefully some of the good coffee shops in town extend their opening hours with their arrival. I would have like them in grand parade upper patricks st one less empty buildings on the main str

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I was saying the same thing about the opening hours of the coffee shops in town. If you want to meet a friend after six it has to be in the pub if you're not eating. Was in Starbucks in Mahon around 9pm last week and it was mobbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has anyone heard anymore about one opening in Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

dudara wrote: »

I actually really fail to see any major negatives. The recent news about Starbucks and Nandos shows that a bit of vibrancy is returning to Cork. (These brands will only open if there's a business case to support it). Hopefully, it will incentivise local retailers.

That's something I'd never consider a Starbucks or a Nando's bringing to a city to be honest. I'm not on the complaining retailer side either, the upping their quality argument is very valid. However in an aesthetic and actual substance way, these add nothing and actually detract.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I bet they'll open at least 3 in the city centre before long.

Costa already have a very large presence.

I just hope it doesn't undermine the local stuff though there are some excellent coffee shops in Cork, just a shame none of them open past 6pm ish.

They already have one planned for the new development on albert quay. So that's three already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Only reason I would go to Starbucks is opening hours, drove past Filter this evening at 7pm and it was closed, I probably would've picked up a coffee as I had been running around all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Corholio wrote: »
    That's something I'd never consider a Starbucks or a Nando's bringing to a city to be honest. I'm not on the complaining retailer side either, the upping their quality argument is very valid. However in an aesthetic and actual substance way, these add nothing and actually detract.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear, I meant economic vibrancy.

Advertisement