Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help understanding difference

Options
  • 17-06-2015 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

So I hope to be studying engineering next year at TCD/UCD, what I'm wondering is is why does Trinity have a B.A.I degree for engineering and UCD has a B.Eng degree for it? Is there any difference between the two?

I looked it up and it said that it means a "Bachelor in the Art of Engineering" so does this mean it's an Arts degree??

I really want to do Computer Engineering at TCD but I don't want to do it if I'll end up getting an unrecognised degree, compared to the widely known B.Eng from UCD. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It's just a different name. You get BA, BAI after tcd course -

BA is a general degree in lurning.
    BAI is "Baccalaureate in Arte Ingeneria" - a bachelors degree in engineering. As well respected as many.

Worry not about the name, make sure ye contente is right for you.

2 years common has pros and cons, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Prenderb wrote: »
    It's just a different name. You get BA, BAI after tcd course -

BA is a general degree in lurning.
    BAI is "Baccalaureate in Arte Ingeneria" - a bachelors degree in engineering. As well respected as many.

Worry not about the name, make sure ye contente is right for you.

2 years common has pros and cons, btw.

What're some of the pros and cons may I ask? One I do know is that I'd get a better general understanding of all aspects of engineering but not sure about the other.

As for the degree name thanks for clearing that up would it be b.a.i just because it's trinity do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

What're some of the pros and cons may I ask? One I do know is that I'd get a better general understanding of all aspects of engineering but not sure about the other.
    There's only so much room in a degree - the more breadth you get, the less depth. As you really need both, it's a design problem, which is something the engineering professors setting the courses are good at - I don't think this is a huge issue.
    As for the degree name thanks for clearing that up would it be b.a.i just because it's trinity do you think?
    Yes. Both degree courses are accredited by Engineers Ireland, and widely held in good regard.

Disclaimer: I have a horse in this race. GrabTheCREAM, you're welcome to PM me if you want more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

In a nutshell, yes. I found it useful because I wanted to be an engineer, and having 2 years of general meant you got some depth in Mechanical, Civil, Computers and Electronic engineering before making your mind up. If you're more sure now, then perhaps a 1 year common is more useful and you won't "waste" as much time in the second year learning about concrete, hydraulics, traffic and thermodynamics.

And I do think that having a broader understanding is useful in life. You'll never learn all the details in college, so get as many of the principles as possible and perhaps when you need detail 20 years on, you have a broader range of principles to draw on to help you understand that detail.

Yes, as with many things, it actually is Just Because It's Trinity. Later on, you won't graduate, you "commence."

As poster above said, its a well regarded degree. After a couple of years, you'll realise the actual institution is not so important. What is, is the interest you have in that college's subjects and curriculum and facilities that enables you to lurn Engineering a bit more better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The good thing about the two years of general studies is it gives you a good basis of engineering in general and a great start in problem solving.

I did my under grad (great experience) and post grad (not so great) in Trinity and the difference between say Trinity and DIT is that Trinity is more of a high level of understanding of engineering where DIT is more practical and technical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I did the BAI too, and you'd be surprised at how many people had one speciality in mind when they started, yet eventually picked something different in 3rd year. Most students coming from the Leaving won't know enough about the course detail to make a really informed decision. After 2 years it's a lot clearer.

An added advantage is that lots of interesting jobs are interdisciplinary (electromechanical etc.), and the more knowledge you have of other fields the better.

Advertisement