Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

move modem from hall to sitting room

Options
  • 08-11-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

not sure if i am messaging in right place but i have my modem in the hall and want to move it to sitting room, i have phone jack in sitting room but modem wont work when plugged into it, is it because i have what i think is called a ntu in the hallway, if so can i bypass it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've flagged this for the mods to move when they get a chance.

The NTU is there for a reason, internal wiring isn't verified for broadband use. If you do bypass it and theres problems you'll be charged €150 if the technicians call out.

If you want to move the modem your best bet is to run a new length of CAT5 cable from the NTU to the new position, this will ensure minimal loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 the main man22

sorry, i just taught i read somewhere that it can be done, i have a phone line at back of tv in sitting room where i want to modem to, but when i moved the modem there and plugged it in it wont work, is this because of a filter on ntu??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

sorry, i just taught i read somewhere that it can be done, i have a phone line at back of tv in sitting room where i want to modem to, but when i moved the modem there and plugged it in it wont work, is this because of a filter on ntu??

It can be done, it may not be a good idea though. Once you come off proper Eir dropwire onto a cheap 4 or 6 wire phone cable with very few twists (that may not even be copper but some sort of cheap alloy) there is always a rapid drop in speed. Run a cat5 is a much better option if you're doing it yourself and have no way of testing.

Advertisement