Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish advert for gastric bands

Options
  • 26-06-2011 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

This thread discussing this advert

While I agree with the posters saying that it's demeaning etc & obviously it's aimed at a certain sector who will fixate on the least amount of fat being a very bad thing.

As Sir Digby Ceaser Chicken points out on it, the woman is not "normal".

Perhaps a gastric band is the answer for her & others of her size.

However I could't help but notice the girl who took the photo of it has a whole load of va-va-voom going on & can't help but ponder the juxtaposition...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's presenting a gastric band as the solution to her problems - single, socially struggling and depressed. It is an advertisement, and it does seem to me at least to be preying on people who perhaps can relate to this woman pictured; Those who have weight issues, are single and are unhappy about it.

Whether a gastric band is the answer for her or other people is neither here nor there, it's left up to the individual to decide so I'm not sure I get what the point of including it in your OP was.

I wonder if the same reaction would be had to an advertisement featuring a flat-chested, unhappy, single woman and the product was a breast augmentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

iMax wrote: »
    However I could't help but notice the girl who took the photo of it has a whole load of va-va-voom going on & can't help but ponder the juxtaposition...

noticed that myself lol. Though its pointed out it isn't the OP who took the picture.

On the topic itself - I don't know too much about them. They have risks such as nutrient deficiency and obviously every surgery is risky.

However I have to agree they may be suitable for some people. People who don't have the motivation to diet and exercise but suffer depression and all the obesity associated problems.

now I can already here arguments against that. that it is far easier to lose weight through healthy eating etc. but in real life I know obese people whom I know full well will need XL size coffins when they leave us. Whatever the reason they will just never lose weight.

Gastric bands seem to work on these people. Therefore I wouldn't begrudge their use. You only get one life.

I wonder if the same reaction would be had to an advertisement featuring a flat-chested, unhappy, single woman and the product was a breast augmentation?

I'd suspect outrage on a much greater scale. Mostly from naturally curvy women who have large breasts but also find it more difficult to be slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

However I have to agree they may be suitable for some people. People who don't have the motivation to diet and exercise but suffer depression and all the obesity associated problems.

now I can already here arguments against that. that it is far easier to lose weight through healthy eating etc. but in real life I know obese people whom I know full well will need XL size coffins when they leave us. Whatever the reason they will just never lose weight.

Gastric bands seem to work on these people. Therefore I wouldn't begrudge their use. You only get one life.[/QUOTE]

People who dont have the motivation ?? Have you ever actually been overweight ??? Its more likely that these have been on weight loss programs or diets practically all their lives. I myself have lost huge amounts of weight and by huge I mean 11 stone in two years but the battle is always keeping it off. After a lifetime of struggle with my weight issues it would be good to have a permanent solution. My niece had a gastric banding done a few years ago and it has been a huge success for her and if I had the cash I would do it in a heartbeat. Nice of you not to "begrudge these people" a gastric band. Though how its any of your business what they do in the first place is beyond me

katiebelle wrote: »

People who dont have the motivation ?? Have you ever actually been overweight ??? Its more likely that these have been on weight loss programs or diets practically all their lives. I myself have lost huge amounts of weight and by huge I mean 11 stone in two years but the battle is always keeping it off. After a lifetime of struggle with my weight issues it would be good to have a permanent solution. My niece had a gastric banding done a few years ago and it has been a huge success for her and if I had the cash I would do it in a heartbeat. Nice of you not to "begrudge these people" a gastric band. Though how its any of your business what they do in the first place is beyond me

"I wouldn't begrudge" is an idiom. In this context it means "I would think it stupid to condemn someone for going through a practice which improves their life and has no ill-effect on anyone else"

I have been overweight yes. I am sorry you were offended by my use of the word motivation but I am grateful you pointed it out. I should have said something like
    However I have to agree they may be suitable for some people. People who for whatever reason find it impossible to maintain a healthy weight and therefore suffer from depression and obesity related problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Mentioning or speculating about specific posters that arent involved in the thread is a no no so please dont do it.YFlyer,post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Perhaps a bit crude of an ad but imo not as bad as the outrage about it. I cant say I know the effects of a band but I would hazard a guess that they are roughly the same as being THAT over weight.

The woman in the picture is morbidly obese, obviously that is not good for her and will reduce her lifespan and quality of life considerably. She is at the stage where she doesnt look like she could look after herself and live a "normal" life. So I really cant argue with the ad campaign in that respect.

The other issue people have is with the "claim" it will solve her problems ie. "- single, socially struggling and depressed". Once again perhaps I am generalising so Ill use myself as an example. Before you call it out, look at yourself or people you have talked to and see would it apply to them.

When I go out, dressed in a nice suit with nice shiny shoes and a feeling fresh after a nice shower, I personally feel more confident. Typically I am rather shy but when I feel good about my appearence, however vein that may be, I do feel happier about myself and that reflects on my social skills. If I felt I was looking scruffy I would be much more timid when approaching people. A few years ago even walking down the beach in the blistering hot weather Id have a tshirt on, now that I have became fit again, I feel happy to go topless and hence more confident in myself.

I am not saying that a gastric band will have men falling over a person but weight kills peoples self confidence. If someone has confidence in their appearence they will be socially confident. Many men love a girl with confidence and self belief.

Im guessing this opinion wouldnt go down too well in TLL but I do feel that it does have some truth in it.
    It is an advertisement, and it does seem to me at least to be preying on people who perhaps can relate to this woman pictured; Those who have weight issues, are single and are unhappy about it.

Thats what advertising does. You have to relate to people or who is the advert aimed at? If someone was that size and not unhappy about it, I would worry about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm a skinny wrech :pac:

I can eat what ever i like and do i put on weight nope...

How ever ive got really crappy gums and my teath arnt what i would say bye any means perfect. Id like them to look better but i can't afford it!

The add is using shock tactics. While yes it could be considered stomic turning.

But for people who are obese because they choose to eat utter crap well may be in one way its going to turn people of eating crap on the other hand girls who see them self as ridiculously over weight when there skinner then me...

I think at the end of the day yes it could be considered ott, but the question is has the aim of this advertisement worked. In a world of unrest with encomeys and companies look for the public to spend money I can't help but think that advertisment can and probably will get a lot more rash.

It really doesnt bother me

Advertisement