Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONSILS OUT

Options
  • 04-09-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

my hubbie had his tonsils out on thursday evening ,there were very big he was snoring badly aswell , reason why he got them out is he has had 3 very infections early this year, he is able to eat bits of soft food . great thing is he has no bad pain just a bit soar like a soar throat, has any of you have had the same done ?and if you did how did you cope with the pain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

He should gargle regularly with warm salt water,particularly after eating.Also,if he is a smoker he should try and avoid it if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

nedtheshed wrote: »
    He should gargle regularly with warm salt water,particularly after eating.Also,if he is a smoker he should try and avoid it if at all possible.
    he tryed the salt but it nearly killed him, he isnt a smoker tg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Hi OP there are a few peoples experiences in a thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had my tonsils out for pretty much the same reason - they were so big that they were touching and often I'd wake myself up with loud snoring! I also had many bouts of tonsillitis per year.

I was told not to avoid rough foods in favour of things such as ice cream. Eating foods like toast and crisps actually does assist with healing due to the abrasiveness etc., as far as I know.

Other than that, take a pain killer if needs be and it shouldn't be too long before he's feeling much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah apparently the roughness makes them heal quicker and faster. Whan I got them out the first thing they gave me was an irish breakfast along with the toast and all. Painful stuff but was told it would make it heal better so I got through as much of it as I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

cats.life wrote: »
    my hubbie had his tonsils out on thursday evening ,there were very big he was snoring badly aswell , reason why he got them out is he has had 3 very infections early this year, he is able to eat bits of soft food . great thing is he has no bad pain just a bit soar like a soar throat, has any of you have had the same done ?and if you did how did you cope with the pain?

Had my tonsils out at 19 due to lots of tonsilitus. My snoring got worse since then. I recommend improving the spare room and sound insulation immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

he is taking panandol max for the discomfort, the eating part has alot to do with healing cos it builds up the muscle under the tonsil bed, there is white stuff where the tonsils were (name of it escapes me) its like phlem that he cant get rid of, he had toast the first day , icecream, branflakes, only cud take a spoonfull of each , today he is out and a bout. our 7 yr old is getting his out on 28 october, he,s not scared anymore cos he has seen what the nurses done to prepare dad for surgery,. as for the spare room well its still there just incase, snoring has calmed down alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It might be worth trying Difflam mouth wash which might help with the pain.

Advertisement