Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newer genealogy

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been having some adventures in early 20th century genealogy this afternoon and am struck by how hard it is trace parish records for 1900s/1910s.

It took 2 phone calls to ascertain that the Drumcondra COI records for 1916 were not destroyed in 1922 and that they are still in local custody. The church's mailbox is full though so I can't get through!

Rootsireland doesn't have this parish at all.

I suspect the necessary marriage record will be a carbon copy of the civil, and won't tell me the mother's name. Even a first name would be helpful because I'm trying to confirm a theory - COI never has a maiden name.

It's time for the various organisations to be updating their stores. I know Rootsireland has done some work in this area but there's a gap until the 1960s when mothers' names were added to civil marriage records which means we still need church records for half the century to help with these names.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sending you a PM Pinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

pinkypinky wrote: »

It's time for the various organisations to be updating their stores. I know Rootsireland has done some work in this area but there's a gap until the 1960s when mothers' names were added to civil marriage records which means we still need church records for half the century to help with these names.

I was speaking to a professional genealogist and she told me that she has sometimes came across marriages which took place in the 1920s and 1930s and were recorded in the church register but were never recorded in the civil registration records.

I think another collection like the National Library's parish records microfilming project is needed.

This next project should have all the following:

* Digital images in colour of all records of genealogical interst (baptisms, marriages, burials, confirmations, etc.) for all faiths and denominations.
    * All completely transcribed (including churchings, marginal notes, sponsors, witnesses, etc.).
    * A list of gaps in registers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very surprised to hear of marriages not being registered that late. Where was this?

Separately, I spent some time reviewing my old notes on this particular family and I've found a death registered by someone at the address of the groom in the marriage I was looking for, so I can confirm by other means that I've got the right man. So pleased.

Tell me what you think this person died of though - I can't read it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Quick look gives me ''Multiple' and lower down 'Cardiac'. Can't make out any more than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Is the second word 'necrotic'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Multiple Necrosis/Necritas
    Cardiac Syncope
    5-7 ..
    Certified

the informant lived on the same road as my Cathcart ancestors

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks, Shane & all.

The deceased was a brother of my great-grandfather and the informant their first cousin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Very surprised to hear of marriages not being registered that late. Where was this?

I couldn't find an entry in the online indexes for an 1887 marriage that took place in Lackagh parish in Co. Galway, so I asked this genealogist for help in finding it and she couldn't find it either, she then told me about the marriages that weren't registered. I don't know what part of the country this was though. She added as well that this was unusual.

But regarding Lackagh parish, I did a search for other marriages around the same time and they weren't registered either. So, maybe the priest didn't like the extra work or maybe the ledger containing these marriages skipped the indexing process by mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tell me what you think this person died of though - I can't read it.

Open to correction/alternatives but I think that it is:-
    Tertiary Multiple Neuritis
    Cardiac syncope
    5 Years certified
    (Means that it was known he suffered from those ailments for 5 years.)

Perhaps a post over on the ”Health Sciences” forum might give a better explanation as someone there would know if the neuritis was a condition linked with cardiac syncope?

Advertisement