Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hired a genealogist - queries

Options
  • 29-07-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

My parents developed an interest in uncovering their family history so around 3-4 years ago, I hired a genealogist from the AGI website to undertake some work on this as a gift to them. I paid up front, as I assumed was required. A few months after this, I received a preliminary draft report which outlined some of the basic work that had been done, but I was assured that more was to follow. Many many missed deadlines later and I still have not received anything back on this. All my contact has been through email, as no phone number was provided.

As an example, I would be told that work would be completed by the end of June. At the end of August (having heard nothing), I would email querying it and get a reply giving me apologies and assuring me that it would be done before the end of October. By November, I'd email again and the same would happen. This happened repeatedly over the course of the last few years. The only positive I can give is that I was always given some sort of reply.

My last two emails have not received any answer. They were sent a couple of months ago.

I checked the site and there does not seem to be an official contact number for the AGI supplied. I'm just wondering how to proceed.

I should point out that I'm not au fait with the profession of genealogy - is this sort of delay typical? Not saying that in a negative way (for example, solicitors would commonly take several years to get anything done), just not sure if I should just sit tight and assume it will eventually get there or not. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Welcome!

You could try the contact form on their website.
    The individual officers of their organising Council are listed and they all have telephone contacts on their own pages.

Genealogy can certainly take a lot of time but I would not expect it to last years, unless the work was of a permanent ongoing nature (such as one might expect when working on one's own genealogy, which never stops!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Promenade

Thanks for the reply. I might give the contact form a try. I'm just hoping that there hasn't been some sort of personal tragedy on the part of the genealogist and I'll seem a bit harsh!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

What is the AGI website?

If you take a look at the links I posted, you'll see that it's the website for Accredited Genealogists Ireland, who are the professional body for genealogy here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Guys, I'm closing this thread, because the OP has now got some ways to make contact with AGI. I don't want to encourage any debate about an unnamed genealogist who cannot defend themselves.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement