Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung s4 ROM PLEASE HELP!

• 25-01-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I have a S4 bought in Tesco its the I9505 LTE and it was unlocked. I have a Three sim card in it. I was using Kies and it asked to upgrade and not unplug. Silly me unplugged the phone while upgrading. After this I could not start the phone.
    In a panic I looked up google to try and fix it. It suggested installing a rom with odin.
    I installed a rom but it was for Tmoblie in USA. I didnt know what I was doing. I have now got it with vodafone rom that I got off sammobile.The Three one didnt seem to work and Tesco does not seem to have one for download. The vodafone seems fine but it does not latch onto threes 3g network.The coverage is not as good as when I had it originally.

Long story short I want to have it resembling how it was when I first got it and that it will automatically update and work with Kies.

I was thinking of sending it to phone menders but that would probably cost about €100. If someone can lead in the right direction I would be very grateful.
    The forums and website on this subject are overwhelming for a simpleton like myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I got mine done for 30 euro in a shop in Dundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

have a look on xdadevelopers.com, but i think once you flash the phone atall then kies won't work anymore. (could be wrong though)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭serious

Which shop is it in the shopping centre or the town?

have a look on xdadevelopers.com, but i think once you flash the phone atall then kies won't work anymore. (could be wrong though)

serious wrote: »
    Which shop is it in the shopping centre or the town?

It is on the cross roads just off the main street a Chinese man is the owner

• Advertisement

Carpenter wrote: »
    It is on the cross roads just off the main street a Chinese man is the owner
    What was wrong with you r phone and what did he do? Very interested

hallo dare wrote: »
    Thanks I had a look but I woudnt know where to begin there seems to be hundreds of threads on the subject

What was wrong with you r phone and what did he do? Very interested

Tried to root it and it went ass up on me :mad:

Tried to root it and it went ass up on me :mad:

very easy app out for rooting, no messing with a pc. just google framaroot and download the latest version and install. simples!!!

very easy app out for rooting, no messing with a pc. just google framaroot and download the latest version and install. simples!!!

Would I use my phone to find it or pc to download it and thank you for the info only thing is im useless @ this

• Advertisement

Would I use my phone to find it or pc to download it and thank you for the info only thing is im useless @ this

First thing, nobody is useless, we just all learn something new everyday, so don't knock yourself.

You can do either method, but its easier just to use the browser on your phone cos you don't have to start transferring from your computer to your phone.

http://eshmor.com/framaroot-apk-app-android/

Follow the link and install the latest version at the bottom of the page and enjoy root!

http://eshmor.com/framaroot-apk-app-android/

Follow the link and install the latest version at the bottom of the page and enjoy root!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭GIMP

Tried this on S4 I9505 on 4.3, it isn't compatible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

This is an official 4.4 leaked by Samsung, flash using odin and you should be good to go. Its an open european rom and I've been using it on my s4 with a three.ie sim for a few weeks with no issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2465713

gbob wrote: »
    This is an official 4.4 leaked by Samsung, flash using odin and you should be good to go. Its an open european rom and I've been using it on my s4 with a three.ie sim for a few weeks with no issues.

Going to give this a go. Can't seem to find the link for downloading the actually rom file? Or it it right in plane sight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

You can use kies on the s3. You basically flash on the latest official rom and it removes your rom and root. Download is 2+ hours tho.

Leave your phone disconnected and go to firmware upgrade and initialisation.

After that its simple just follow the instructions.

Going to give this a go. Can't seem to find the link for downloading the actually rom file? Or it it right in plane sight?

The link in that thread seems to have been removed.... try the links on this thread. ...http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2601067

I installed this version just at the end of installation in odin 3.09 there was one failure."Can't open serial (COM) port. All other aspects seemed to have passed and the phone seems to work in 4.4.2.
    I also noticed since routing the phon ethe "about device" symbol is now orange. Is this normal?
    Also does anyone have any ideas on the "Can't open serial (COM) port. failure?

I installed this version just at the end of installation in odin 3.09 there was one failure."Can't open serial (COM) port. All other aspects seemed to have passed and the phone seems to work in 4.4.2.
    I also noticed since routing the phon ethe "about device" symbol is now orange. Is this normal?
    Also does anyone have any ideas on the "Can't open serial (COM) port. failure?

As long as it flashed ok I wouldn't worry about com port error.. plus the orange symbol beside "about device" is just the normal colour scheme.

Successful flash, well done.

• Advertisement

As long as it flashed ok I wouldn't worry about com port error.. plus the orange symbol beside "about device" is just the normal colour scheme.

Successful flash, well done.
    Thanks for the help.:p
    Hopefully better reception now. I notice now I have the option of LTE auto
    in networks that I did not have in the last rom. The three rep told me I should have this ticked.

I notice now I have the option of LTE auto in networks that I did not have in the last rom.

Never even noticed that, I found data speeds were pretty good without it ticked but can only assume they'll be better with.

I was lust looking at reviews and videos of android 4.4 on youtube and the interface is completely new. I have 4.4.2 and it looks exactly the same as the previous versions of android.
    Anything I am doing wrong?
    There are a few subtle changes like the white notifications bar but nothing like the camera on lockscreen or new UI like in the video reviews.

Double post

I was lust looking at reviews and videos of android 4.4 on youtube and the interface is completely new. I have 4.4.2 and it looks exactly the same as the previous versions of android.
    Anything I am doing wrong?
    There are a few subtle changes like the white notifications bar but nothing like the camera on lockscreen or new UI like in the video reviews.

Touchwiz on 4.4 is very similar to 4.3, only minor changes in menus etc.

On the the plus side, here's the data speed I got in Galway today with lte enabled....https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns03xnuoh1en92t/Screenshot_2014-01-27-15-00-23.png

If anybody is interested and is on three and have rubbish signal. They should have their network mode set to WCDMA only. I was told twice by "technical reps " in India it should be LTE auto. I did that and got terrible signal .
    I went into three store in Naas and told me to set it to WCDMA only. Now I have H and H+ everywhere which is even faster than 3g.

If anybody is interested and is on three and have rubbish signal. They should have their network mode set to WCDMA only. I was told twice by "technical reps " in India it should be LTE auto. I did that and got terrible signal .
    I went into three store in Naas and told me to set it to WCDMA only. Now I have H and H+ everywhere which is even faster than 3g.

Not much use when you head to the sticks though mate. You'll get no reception at all then. WCDMA/GSM option if in the Country.

Not much use when you head to the sticks though mate. You'll get no reception at all then. WCDMA/GSM option if in the Country.
    That's interesting and I thought my problems were solved. I don't even have GSM I have mine set to WCDMA only. I dont even know what WCDMA is but I'm sure I'll find out the hard way when I go to remote places.

Have you any recommendations?

That's interesting and I thought my problems were solved. I don't even have GSM I have mine set to WCDMA only. I dont even know what WCDMA is but I'm sure I'll find out the hard way when I go to remote places.

Have you any recommendations?

On Three, gsm will kick you onto Vodafone 2g, WCDMA is 3g on Three. So If you go to an area with just WCDMA selected that has no Three 3g coverage then you will have no signal to make/receive calls, texts etc. That's why it's best to leave it on the GSM/WCDMA option.

There used to be an option for WCDMA preferred, preferred over GSM but GSM would kick in if you were not in range of 3g coverage, but that option has gone.

• Advertisement

On Three, gsm will kick you onto Vodafone 2g, WCDMA is 3g on Three. So If you go to an area with just WCDMA selected that has no Three 3g coverage then you will have no signal to make/receive calls, texts etc. That's why it's best to leave it on the GSM/WCDMA option.

There used to be an option for WCDMA preferred, preferred over GSM but GSM would kick in if you were not in range of 3g coverage, but that option has gone.
    Thanks good to knowI would never have got this info from someone working for three.

Advertisement