Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Tie Dance & Wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'd consider all of those cocktail dresses, not black tie, sorry.

Now, it seems that the goalposts have moved a lot over the years to the point where a lot of people consider cocktail-wear the same as black tie. But to me, personally, black tie = formal = long dress.

That's just a personal opinion, though, and you'll get loads of people telling you that short is fine once it's dressy enough. It really probably depends on just *how* formal your black tie event is really likely to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'd have to agree with the above post. Black tie is black tie yes some people may think that it has changed over the years I would agree. Is the event going to be proper black tie even then you will need a long dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I cant see any of the dresses you linked to. But I was at a black tie wedding on NYE two years ago, and lots of people wore short dresses. I myself would be more comfortable in a long one at a black tie event though. (although I have worn short to a hunt ball - it was high low style)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I think full length dresses are a must for white tie, but not necessarily black tie. Not sure but I also think colour has something to do with it, I remember reading that you should go for dark colors like plums reds etc. I could be mistaken, but have been invited to a couple of black tie events so googled it at the time and that's what I remember of what I learned.

Any black tie event I've gone to had maybe 70-80% of the ladies in long dresses and the rest in short. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I personally don't wear long dresses to black tie events and I do t think they're neccessary for black tie. Long, blingy dresses aren't my thing at all. I wear knee length dresses that are appropriate for the occasion, never too short or too low cut.

The main thing is to be aware of the event and dress appropriately. And if you go for a knee length dress, make sure to wear tights or stockings. Bare legs are not good at formal events.

• Advertisement
Advertisement