Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 48: Beef and mushroom pies

Options
  • 02-12-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Apologies this is a few days late... pies in the oven now and recipe/ photos to follow tonight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I love pies. Really love them. I don't mean those awful pork pies you can buy in Tesco, but lovely rich meaty pies with proper gravy and buttery pastry. NOM. Here's how we make beef and mushroom pies in my house.

11openingpic.jpg

Note: This recipe takes quite a while to make, so not ideal for after work, but perfect for a Sunday afternoon. (Hence my posting it today rather than Friday :))

Ingredients:

For the pie filling:
    1 lb stewing beef
    1 onion
    1 large carrot
    1 stalk of celery
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp flour
    1/2 punnet mushrooms
    1 Knorr rich beef stock pot
    1 beef stock cube
    1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
    1 tsp English mustard
    1 tsp wholegrain mustard
    Salt, pepper

For the pastry:
    250g flour
    110 butter (cold)
    Pinch salt
    5 tbsp cold water

ingredients2.jpg

Method:

You want your pie filling to cook on the stove for a couple of hours, so let's get this going first.

Chop your stewing beef (we got large chunks from the butcher) into smaller pieces like so. You may also wish to pour yourself a whiskey and coke, as we did :)

Beefchopped.jpg

Put all the beef into a plastic bag with a tablespoon of flour and shake it well, coating each piece of meat.

5Beeffloured.jpg

Get a large heavy pan on the stove, put in a generous glug of oil and whack the heat up full. Chuck in the beef when the oil is hot and and cook until browned.

While this is happening, get your veggies ready. Chop the carrot, celery and onion into small pieces.

choppingthecarrots.jpg

You want to have roughly the same amount of carrot, celery and onion. Also chop your garlic.

When the beef is browned all over, turn the heat down to medium and add the chopped veggies to the pot and mix well.

Beefandveginpot.jpg

Put the lid on and leave to cook for 10 - 15 mins until the veggies are tender. In the meantime, half and slice the mushrooms. Add to the pot and put the lid back on for another 5 minutes.

Don't panic if there is a crust on the bottom of your pan - this is from the flour we coated the meat in. This will lift off later when the stock has been added, and will give loads of flavour to the mixture. Here's what our pan looked like:

8Crustinpan.jpg

Now time to add the stock. Mix one beef stock cube with one Knorr rich beef stock pot (these are amazing) and 1 pint of boiling water. Add the whole lot to the pot, stir and bring to the boil. Once boiling, knock the heat down to low and leave to simmer with the lid off for 1 - 2 hours (the longer the better if you have time), stirring occasionally to lift the lovely crust off the base of the pan.

Now's the time to get your pastry made. Of course you can always opt for shop-bought pastry, but it's so ridiculously easy to make I'd urge you to have a go at your own. The trick to pastry is COLD BUTTER. Also use cold hands to mix with.

Put the flour in a large mixing bowl with the salt. Cut the cold butter into cubes and add to the bowl. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, like so:

Pastrycrumbs.jpg

Now add 5 tbsp very cold water and use your hands to bring the mixture together into a dough. Don't be afraid to really get stuck in there and use some elbow grease. If the mixture is slightly too dry to come together into a dough, add another bit of cold water to bind it together.

13Pastrymade.jpg

Wrap the pastry in cling film and put it in the fridge to chill.

Now fast forward 1 - 2 hours. Your pie filling has been bubbling away happily on the stove and is ready for the last bit of flavour. Add the worchestershire sauce, English mustard and wholegrain mustard, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

Put a sieve or colander over a bowl and tip the pie filling into it, so the meat and veg stay in the sieve/ colander and the liquid runs into the bowl underneath.

17drainmeat-1.jpg

Pour the liquid back into the pan and put it back on a gentle heat; this will reduce and be your gravy. Leave the pie filling to cool in the colander while you roll out the pastry.

Heat the oven to 190 C (fan oven).

I always use this mould from Dunnes for my pies, I think it's called a Giant Muffin mould or something like that. Each mould is around 3 inches in diameter. You can use any mould you like or even just make this as one giant pie in a large dish. Grease whatever moulds/ dish you are using.
    This is what I use:

14piemould-1.jpg

Remove your pastry from the fridge, unwrap it. Flour your counter top and your rolling pin. Cut 1/3 of your pastry off and set it aside - this will be for your pie lids. I was making 6 pies so I ensured I had 6 pieces of pastry for the base and 6 pieces for the lids.

Roll out the pastry bases and line your moulds, like this:

16pastryinmould-1.jpg

It's important that your pastry is too large for the mould so that pastry comes up over the sides of the moulds. This will help you seal the lids later.

Spoon the cooled pie filling into each pie until full; don't overfill them.

19fillpies-1.jpg

Continued in next post...

Take the gravy off the heat and spoon about 2 tbsp into each pie, again be careful not to overfill them.

20gravyinpies-2.jpg

Now you're ready to get lids on each pie. Roll out the pastry to form lids, again ensuring they are too big. Drape a lid on top of the pie and use your thumb and forefinger to pinch together the pastry from the lid and the pastry from the base. This will seal your pies.

21pinchypastry-2.jpg

Once all your pies are lidded and sealed, use the back of a fork to flatten down the pinched edges. Also use the fork to prick a few holes in the top of each pie.

22forkpastry-2.jpg

Brush a bit of milk or beaten egg on the top of each pie and they are now ready for the oven. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown. When they're cooked, they should look something like this:

23piescooked-1.jpg

Pop a pie onto a plate and slather with the gravy. We served with some buttery mash.

Now of course, the best part...

EAT THE PIES!

24EATTHEPIES-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

25544443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

nice recipe, fond of my pies. i tend to cook the fillings the day before i make the pies.

will make this friday or saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Lovely recipe. Cant eat pies at the moment :( Cant wait until I get the oppurtunity to try this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG - looks AMAZING - I want one RIGHT NOW :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Made this tonight, really tasty! I'd never made pastry before but it turned out really well.

zPAFT.jpg?1

The only thing was that I didn't have much gravy left over as it reduced a lot during the two hour cooking time even though the hob was at its lowest setting.

Great recipe though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I made this for dinner last night, since I had a sheet of shortcrust pastry and puff pastry each in the fridge. I wanted to make the Fabulous Baker Brother's style pie with shortcrust bottom and flaky top. I didn't have a 3" muffin tin so I made a big one in a 10" tin, meaning that I had to double the recipe. I must've added a tad too much gravy in the filling before baking, so the bottom pastry was soggy. And then for some reason the puff pastry didn't puff up as much :(
    However, the filling was good, the gravy was even better! My stepdaughter hates mushrooms with a passion so I had to make sure they were quartered rather than sliced so she can scoop them out. Mr Fox thought it needed a little something, like kidney or something earthy. I reckon next time I will add pre-soaked dried porcini, when Miss I-loathe-mushrooms isn't around. And, I will make little individual ones with homemade pastry, as yours look really yum. Reminds me of Bonza Pies in town.

034_zps1a4a2b9a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Thanks for the lovely recipe, it was something i would never ave thought to cook at home. Maybe will make up a bit more gravy for the next time but they were awesome :D339e5468c18939452dd09d230a86eea4.gif

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we have just demolished this.

absolutely delish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Have made these twice in the last few weeks, absolutely perfect on these cold evenings! First time the gravy reduced way too much, I barely got any out of it, so the second time I added more water to the stock and didn't simmer for quite as long, but left the lid on, and had loads of gravy. Made a batch of nine last night, so stuck some in the freezer, hopefully they defrost okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

Yep, a lovely dish, thanks very much.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

THESE LOOK AMAAAZING!!!

They are, they really really are!

Bumping this thread because I put ten pies into the freezer this evening, had one for dinner and there'll be another tomorrow. Perfect dinner for this time of year!

We just made a batch of these last week - great minds, eh?! They freeze really well and are such a brilliant wintry dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

These are unbelievable!

I made a serious amount of filling (I had about 1.2kg of stewing beef to use) the other night, gave the beef 2 or 3 minutes in a pan, added veg for quick toss around then bunged it all in the slow cooker for the night.

I added abit too much salt i think (didnt allow for the fact i was using 2 stock pots and 2 stock cubes for the gravy) but it was still delicious. Will attempt to make my own pastry the next time if I have some free time.

Perfect recipe for this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

thanks for this, I know what im making/eating this weekend.
    as a point when eating, I find that if the pies are individual, they sit and eat better if they are placed upside down on the plate.
    yum

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

considering the change in the weather this deserves a bump!

Made a huge batch in the slow cooker on sunday, delicious and hearty on a cold evening.

Froze it in portions to have with either mash or puff pastry, only made one actual pie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a big pie for dinner tonight - it was delicious!

Photo in the HWIHFD thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101340869&postcount=9746

• Advertisement

made another big batch of this last sunday and froze some portions, ultimate comfort food on a cold evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 324ffdsfv

In the Netherlands we call it "Quiche" or "Hartige taart", it can be made with broccoli, different kinds off meat, there are even people who make it with fish. Thats not my favorite.. I found a recipe for this quich here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Been looking for a reliable recipe for a beef-gravy-mushroom pie kind of thing and this looks just perfect, can't wait to try it tomorrow or during the week!!

Another bump to this thread. These pies are on a regular rotation in my house, I made another batch tonight of varying sizes and the freezer is full now for some handy midweek dinners!

Advertisement