Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Cooking Club Week 14: Red wine and rosemary beef stew with Yorkshire puddings

• 07-04-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

A versatile receipt with a lot of room for modification and tinkering. Meat, vegetables, herbs and wine can be adjusted depending on taste. This is my favourite configuration (at the moment :)).

Red wine and rosemary beef stew with Yorkshire puddings, 4 portions.

Ingredients: (in order of appearance)

3 tbsp. vegetable oil
    500g beef, I use braising steak from M&S
    1 large onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    ~150ml-250ml cups red wine
    1 tin whole peeled tomatoes (400g)
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1.5-2 beef stock cubes
    a few sprigs of rosemary
    500g small carrots (or ~5 large carrots chopped into smaller pieces)
    250g brown mushrooms
    2 Bay leaves

3 eggs
    ~200g milk
    ~200g flour
    vegetable oil

Method:
    Chop the beef into equal sized bits and coat with vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
    Heat a skillet or frying pan to a high heat and brown the meat in small batches until all the meat is browned.
    Move the meat to a large pot and add finely chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet. Brown the onion for a few minutes then add it to the meat in the pot.
    Deglaze the skillet with 150ml of the red wine, then add the wine from the skillet to the pot.
    Add the juice of the tomatoes to the pot, remove any skin from the tomatoes and finely chop the tomatoes and add to the pot.
    Add the soy sauce, 1.5 beef stock cubes, finely chopped rosemary a half a cup of water. Bring the pot to boil and let it gently simmer for at least 90 mins (the time to cook will vary depending on temperatures and meat used, I usually let it cook for at least 2 hours). Stir every once and a while and add some water if nearly all the liquid has evaporated.

Start the Yorkshire puddings while the stew is cooking. Gently whisk the 3 eggs in a bowl. Add an equal amount of milk (probably around 200g, but it depends on the size of the eggs). Finally add an equal amount of flour, adding a little bit of flour at the time while whisking. Put the batter in the fridge.

When the meat seems cooked add the carrots, chopped brown mushrooms the bay leaves and a little bit of water if necessary. Add some more beef, stock, wine and/or chopped rosemary if necessary and let the stew continue to simmer. Put on the oven to 230 and add 1 tsp vegetable oil to each hole in a 12 hole muffin tin and put the tin in the oven until the oil is very hot.
    Add 2 tsp water to the Workshire pudding batter and give it a good whisk. Then fill each hole in the tin just below half full and return the tin to the oven.
    Leave to cook for 15-20 mins until they puddings are golden brown.

When they are cooked remove them from the oven and serve them with the stew.

Photos:

199385.JPG

Searing the meat.

199386.JPG

Chopped Tomatoes, I have been told that I'm a bit obsessive compulsive about my hatred of tomato skin and hard bits, but they do not add anything taste-wise and have an unsuitable texture. :D

199387.JPG

Making the batter.

199388.JPG

I usually don't use a thickener (like flour). I prefer to cook the stew until most of the water has evaporated and you get a fairly thick sauce (like in the image above). However if you prefer more sauce you can coat the meat in flour before you fry it.

199389.JPG

Maybe not as perfectly shaped as store bought ones, but they are very tasty!

199391.JPG

The final dish, not lit very well but I didn't get any complaints when it came to its taste.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Aw, PTS, and your hatred of the skin and hard bits! :D

This looks unbelievably good. Must look into making this - with one HUGE yorkshire pudding.. and serving the stew IN it.
    Oh god!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Damn fine post there OP. Will try this at the weekend I think.
    My rosemary has taken off a treat so I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Jean wrote: »
    Aw, PTS, and your hatred of the skin and hard bits! :D

This looks unbelievably good. Must look into making this - with one HUGE yorkshire pudding.. and serving the stew IN it.
    Oh god!

I know, I think I need to see someone about that :-)
    I was also hoping to create giant Yorkshire puddings, but couldn't find anything to make them in. If you find something suitable let me know!
    Loopy wrote: »
    Damn fine post there OP. Will try this at the weekend I think.
    My rosemary has taken off a treat so I have to.

Glad you liked it, I'm growing some rosemary at the moment too. Can't wait to start using it in my dishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pts wrote: »
    I was also hoping to create giant Yorkshire puddings, but couldn't find anything to make them in. If you find something suitable let me know!
    !

A 7" CAKE TIN

http://easyteas.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/dsc00278.jpg
    http://easyteas.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/giant-yorkshire.jpg

i posted links are pics are kinda big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

This is something that I do reasonably regularly so I look forward to doing this recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

This looks yum... will be trying it this week sometime! Photos are great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Glad you liked it, I'm growing some rosemary at the moment too. Can't wait to start using it in my dishes!

this sounds yummy. i think i might make it on monday :D

as to the yorkshires - i made yorkshires to go with my roast beef at easter, i used a six hole large muffin tin which made reasonably large yorkshires, not sure if they would be large enough to serve the whole meal in, quite possibly with stew :D

Mellor wrote: »
    hdowney wrote: »
    this sounds yummy. i think i might make it on monday :D

as to the yorkshires - i made yorkshires to go with my roast beef at easter, i used a six hole large muffin tin which made reasonably large yorkshires, not sure if they would be large enough to serve the whole meal in, quite possibly with stew :D

Thanks guys, I'll definitly try to make a giant Yorkshire pudding next time :D

Got me a big slab of lovely looking braising steak from FXB - going to pick up the rest of the ingredients tomorrow, and go stew making! Excited!

Untitled-7.jpg

So full, I may burst.

I threw in more onion, and a pepper to compensate for no mushrooms (fungus fungus fungus).. and.. they're.. shop bought yorkies :(

I'm SORRY. I'll do better next time :(

But jesus that's some flavour. The red wine is so rich! Wow.

ETA: I kept mine quite saucy, as I love lots of sauce. Also, didn't realise I'd bone in my steak - that was a bitch to remove with my crappy knives! Will ask the butcher to dice it for me next time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Thanks for the recipe, Pts!

This was my first recipe club effort and first time making Yorkshire puddings. It's also the first time in history I've managed to make American beef taste like something other than roasted boot. Can't thank you enough! :D

Before decimation:

I just made it again yesterday and realised that I messed up the measurements for the wine.

Mods would it be possible to change:
    "~1-2 cups red wine" to "~150ml-250ml cups red wine"
    "Deglaze the skillet with the red wine, then add the wine to the pot." to "Deglaze the skillet with 150ml of the red wine, then add the wine from the skillet to the pot."

Apologies to anyone who tried the recipe and ended up with too much wine in the stew, I hope it still tasted ok.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Trying this during the week! :-D can't wait!!!

Trying this during the week! :-D can't wait!!!

The smell from the pot is amazing, and still haven't added bay leaves, carrots, or mushrooms yet! Oh I can't wait for this! :D

The smell from the pot is amazing, and still haven't added bay leaves, carrots, or mushrooms yet! Oh I can't wait for this! :D

How did it turn out, any pics? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I bought the ingredients today, will be making it tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I made this for dinner on Sunday, went down a treat! Boiled up a few potatoes, cut them into to cubes then added them in with the stew at the end. The Yorkshire puds were delicious, even though I overcooked them :o

Pics:

copy1.jpg

copy2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looks great! Although the first pic does look a lot like Mickey Mouse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Thanks mate! Just noticed the resemblance now :D

How did it turn out, any pics? :)

It didn't last long enough.. But its in the pot again, so this time I'll take some!

Making homemade herb bread with it this time... The smell in my house is sublime.. Im thinking people might start turning up outside the door to share my dinner like in that uncle bens ad! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is jumping out at me waiting to be made...but one question........where it says 1-2 beef stock cubes....is that beef stock made up from stock cubes, otherwise there would not be enough liquid, right?

anewme wrote: »
    This is jumping out at me waiting to be made...but one question........where it says 1-2 beef stock cubes....is that beef stock made up from stock cubes, otherwise there would not be enough liquid, right?

Heya, yeah it's stock cubes. I tend to use them instead of salt in many of my recipes. I just crumble them into the stew once I've added the tomatoes and water. Oh I think the "~150ml-250ml" might be a bit too much, I think it might be better to start off with just a little bit of wine, then add more if you feel it needs it. I can't edit the original post now though. I hope it turns out nice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Made this last night and it was fab......so rich and the beef so soft. Will make again. Over done the Yorkshire Puddings but have now decided that i dont like Yorkshire Puddings as they dont really taste of anything.........so next time will be serving with mash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Made this over the weekend it was awesome, and so tasty will be making again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Looks like a great recipe OP.

What would be a good red wine to use? Where can brown mushrooms be bought? Are the anything like regular, white mushrooms? I don't recall ever seeing brown mushrooms anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Brown mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms are in season atm and most places have them
    from Dunnes, to lidl and aldi. As for what red wine, a bottle you are planning to drink with it, I picked out a Merlot.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Brown mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms are in season atm and most places have them
    from Dunnes, to lidl and aldi. As for what red wine, a bottle you are planning to drink with it, I picked out a Merlot.
    Thanks.

I don't drink red wine (or any wine) hence my question. I should have said in my first post, sorry.

I was in Dunnes and Aldi and didn't see brown/chestnut mushrooms, but I'll have another look tomorrow.

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I don't drink red wine (or any wine) hence my question. I should have said in my first post, sorry.

I was in Dunnes and Aldi and didn't see brown/chestnut mushrooms, but I'll have another look tomorrow.

Heya, I made the stew a few days ago. I got my brown mushrooms in Dunnes. They usually have them, you might have been unlucky (I know my local Dunnes seem to run out of things just when I need them :)). M&S usually have brown mushrooms too. You can use other types of mushrooms, but I think the brown mushrooms absorb the flavours of the stew better and have a nicer consistency.

I regards to wine, I don't usually drink wine either, so I tend to use whatever red wine I got with the M&S dine for two deal :) I usually just check the description on the back of the wine, if it says that is suitable for meats I go for it. Many places have small bottles of wine which might be more suitable if you are only using it for cooking. If I have wine left over I freeze it, then when I need wine (for cooking) I can just add some of the frozen wine.

Best of luck with the receipt.

Thanks for your help, I had another look for brown mushrooms and nowhere had them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Husband has made this a couple of times and I'm making it for the first time tomorrow. He usually throws a couple of spuds in to too. I have to be out and about during the day so was thinking of throwing this into the slow cooker in the morning. Haven't used a slow cooker much, is there any adaptations to this recipe I should make?

Advertisement