Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

PauloMN wrote: »
    Who have been ramping up the pressure? You going to blame Celtic now for what the media do? :rolleyes:

Not Celtic, but their fans.

There's no denying that over the last few weeks the prospect of winning it at Ibrox was obsessing them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Not Celtic, but their fans.

There's no denying that over the last few weeks the prospect of winning it at Ibrox was obsessing them.

Of course not - no denying that whatsoever. Are you reading my posts though? What bits are you having trouble understanding? You are stating very obvious facts there. The point is the result in a league game has made no material difference to the destination of the SPL title.

Therefore, in my mind at least, I don't see it as that big a deal. I'd be a lot more pissed off this morning if that result had meant another title slipping away. When we went down to 9, I just thought "meh" to be honest.

Sorry I'm not more pissed off though! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Rangers were the better team. Cant understand where these people are coming from when they say that Celtic were gonna hammer them, at Ibrox? When was the last time we done that? Given the explosive nature of the game, the pride of the Rangers players would have been more than enough to see them over the line.

Add in that we are still hurting from the cup final defeat, the traumatic week or two the manager has had and it makes for a tough time.

Then people are calling for the managers head... Ridiculous! The success stories of the past two seasons have been Forster, Mulgrew, Ledley, Izzy, Kayal, Hooper, Wanyama. These are all Lennon's signings. To say that we need an experienced manager to get to the next level is delusional. Scottish football is in the doldrums, the best we can hope for in the current climate is a Champions League spot and maybe fluke a last 16 spot at best IMO.

Celtic have in my view the best fans in the world, but like every team, have a minority who make you feel like banging your head against a wall. Calling for the managers head, having just overseen a 21 game unbeaten league run, league cup runners up, and in the last 4 of the Scottish Cup aint too bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Interesting. You only see the other team's players butchering around ;)

Which sometimes applies to both sides of Glasgow

Interesting you chose to pull me up for that hwn the post before mine is doing it the other way ;)
    I made the point about Wanyama for just that reason I am well aware it was going on both ways

Of course not - no denying that whatsoever. Are you reading my posts though? What bits are you having trouble understanding? You are stating very obvious facts there. The point is the result in a league game has made no material difference to the destination of the SPL title.

Therefore, in my mind at least, I don't see it as that big a deal. I'd be a lot more pissed off this morning if that result had meant another title slipping away. When we went down to 9, I just thought "meh" to be honest.

No problem, for every Celtic fan that isn't too bothered there's 10 who are absolutely distraught :D

• Advertisement

im not distraught in the slightest.

why? because i have waited three years to win the league. One more week sure as hell won't bother me! The league title is what matters. Doubles and trebles are great when they happen, but the league is what matters. And we are gonna win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Ladjacket wrote: »
    im not distraught in the slightest.

why? because i have waited three years to win the league. One more week sure as hell won't bother me! The league title is what matters. Doubles and trebles are great when they happen, but the league is what matters. And we are gonna win it.

I'll second that, I have never seen a celtic crowd so indifferent at being 3-0 down to the gers.(the pub where i was watching)

Getting back to 3-2 had everyone in party mode. If we had of performed like that with the league in the balance I wouldn't be fit to post here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭RoryMac

No problem, for every Celtic fan that isn't too bothered there's 10 who are absolutely distraught :D

I'm not sure that's true, winning yesterday would've been the icing on the cake but for me the winning the Championship is far more important. I do think however that Rangers winning the game yesterday is a huge boost to your team not just the result but the performance of your team will I'd imagine give a bit of light at the end of the tunnel after the last few weeks.

It also means that if we beat Motherwell you can't be champions next week, is that true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It also means that if we beat Motherwell you can't be champions next week, is that true ?

Yeah looks that way, if we both win next week there'll be an 18 point gap with 6 games to play so still not over the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yeah, if we beat Motherwell Celtic need 4pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

One of the disappointments of the day was Lenny how he reacted to defeat. I am on record here praising Lenny's behaviour this season, I really felt he learned his lessons from last season but clearly this is not the case. The last two defeats have proven he has a hell of a lot to learn. You just look at his opposite number McCoist and how he conducts himself. I thought his gesture to stand hidden in the tunnel to shake the hands of every Celtic player was a class act. You just can't imagine Lenny doing the same, he'd be too busy giving it laldy on the pitch!!I think Lenny had to show more leadership when the chips are down. Great leaders emerge in times of adversity.

RFC statement: "Neil Lennon was offered a seat in the Director’s Box ... this offer was declined by Celtic’s security staff ”

So far for 'That sums this country up' eh Neil ?

Brewster wrote: »
    One of the disappointments of the day was Lenny how he reacted to defeat. I am on record here praising Lenny's behaviour this season, I really felt he learned his lessons from last season but clearly this is not the case. The last two defeats have proven he has a hell of a lot to learn. You just look at his opposite number McCoist and how he conducts himself. I thought his gesture to stand hidden in the tunnel to shake the hands of every Celtic player was a class act. You just can't imagine Lenny doing the same, he'd be too busy giving it laldy on the pitch!!I think Lenny had to show more leadership when the chips are down. Great leaders emerge in times of adversity.

To be honest I didnt see McCoist do this, but if he did, then fair play to him. Keep in mind however that McCoist has been taught how to handle the pressures of managing a big club from Walter Smith over the last few years. One only needs to watch Smith try to restrain McCoist at the so called 'Shame-Game' last season. Lennon got the Celtic job after a shambles led by Mowbray. He worked under Strachan fair enough, but Strachan could be a tetchy little so and so as well.

I think Neil lets himself down on occasion but the change in him this year compared to last is remarkable, he is literally learning on the job each day. And we all need to realise, the man was speaking minutes after what he perceived as a travesty against his players and himself. He was pi$$ed with the ref, add in the fact that he had been told his safety could not be guaranteed in the directors box etc. I am sure that upon reflection, his comments may be different.

Finally, after the inept displays in WGS's final year and finding myself being almost ashamed to support Celtic in the Mowbray days (however short thankfully), I have a lot to thank Neil Lennon for. And when the manager of the team I support is getting threatened to an inch of his life, he needs our support as much as the team do. He is not infallible or free from criticism, but Celtic fans...we are going to win the league. For the first time in 3 years, the league title is ours again. And that is all that matters.

RFC statement: "Neil Lennon was offered a seat in the Director’s Box ... this offer was declined by Celtic’s security staff ”

So far for 'That sums this country up' eh Neil ?

Perspective here please!! Rather than both RFC and CFC fans trying to point score on this, I think that the offer was declined by CFC security as they felt his safety could not be guaranteed. I think that RFC would have done their utmost to protect him.

LEt's face it Jelle1880, Lennon has been very humble in a lot of his interviews toward RFC recently, as recent as yesterday when pre-game he was asked about winning the title and he refused to comment. When he felt that his press conferences were being bogged down about RFC's woes, he stopped them.

Some RFC fans want to see the worst in him, but they should open their eyes.

Why would his safety not be guaranteed in the director's box ?

nm6wU.jpg

All I'm saying is that Lennon himself said he wasn't allowed in the director's box, then came out with 'That sums up this country'.

While both Celtic and Rangers said that he was offered a spot there.

I'm not talking about his behaviour, I'm sure he would have been perfectly fine and safe, but I don't see why he felt the need to make that comment.

there is a difference between lennon taking in a game between RFC and say Inverness at Ibrox as opposed to being sent off at half time and watching second half from the box. Surely you can see that?

It sums up the country in that people felt his safety could not be guaranteed. Someone, somewhere said to him yesterday that 'we feel your safety cannot be guaranteed'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

nm6wU.jpg

All I'm saying is that Lennon himself said he wasn't allowed in the director's box, then came out with 'That sums up this country'.

I'm not talking about his behaviour, I'm sure he would have been perfectly fine and safe, but I don't see why he felt the need to make that comment.

Is that a coat behind Lenny, or have the PLO managed to get into the Rangers director's box also? :)

Hey, Arafat did have millions stashed away :pac:

Hey, Arafat did have millions stashed away :pac:

Maybe he'll make a bid for yiz lol!

• Advertisement

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Brewster wrote: »

To be honest I didnt see McCoist do this, but if he did, then fair play to him. Keep in mind however that McCoist has been taught how to handle the pressures of managing a big club from Walter Smith over the last few years. One only needs to watch Smith try to restrain McCoist at the so called 'Shame-Game' last season. Lennon got the Celtic job after a shambles led by Mowbray. He worked under Strachan fair enough, but Strachan could be a tetchy little so and so as well.

I think Neil lets himself down on occasion but the change in him this year compared to last is remarkable, he is literally learning on the job each day. And we all need to realise, the man was speaking minutes after what he perceived as a travesty against his players and himself. He was pi$$ed with the ref, add in the fact that he had been told his safety could not be guaranteed in the directors box etc. I am sure that upon reflection, his comments may be different.

Finally, after the inept displays in WGS's final year and finding myself being almost ashamed to support Celtic in the Mowbray days (however short thankfully), I have a lot to thank Neil Lennon for. And when the manager of the team I support is getting threatened to an inch of his life, he needs our support as much as the team do. He is not infallible or free from criticism, but Celtic fans...we are going to win the league. For the first time in 3 years, the league title is ours again. And that is all that matters.

A number of very fair and reasoned points raised... He just has to learn to deal with defeat in a more reasoned manner. At the very very best, the Cha decision was a 50 50 call. Listening to Lenny, youd think it was the worst decision since time began!! He will lose creditability as a manager commenting on decisions such as this when players are routinely sent off for such offenses in the modern game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

nm6wU.jpg

Your utter hatred stands in the way of logic yet again.

Security professionals advised Lennon his safety was not guaranteed in the stands and wouldn't let him go there this led him to say 'That sums up this country'. He said it because security professionals felt it was unsafe, it wasn't pulled out of his arse.

He never said he felt his safety was at risk.

This hysteria about Lennon and twisting of everything he says is what has his life at risk.

Think before you participate in that nonsense, do you really want to be one of those people?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Lennon is dead right. Are any of the rangers fans on here seriously trying to tell that if it was someone other than a irish catholic there would been have been a problem with him going up into the box? Strachan would have got up there without fears for his security i'm sure. Keep denying the bigotry that's alive at your club. Hopefully after liquidation the newco Rangers FC in whatever form it takes will be more tolerant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Were you at the game, or meet many Celtic fans on your day to day activities? When you lot scored the 2nd and then 3rd goals, the Broomloan was jumping, dancing, singing, waving flags and balloons. The noise we made actually shut you lot up and dulled your own celebrations.

We were brutal, Aluko done to us what Kenny Miller done two year ago and Naismith done last year. Would have loved to win it yesterday, it never happened so hats off to the rangers players who have been hiding the last few weeks to turn it on against us. Distraught?? You wish.

WE'RE ONLY HERE FOR THE PARTY.

Were you at the game, or meet many Celtic fans on your day to day activities? When you lot scored the 2nd and then 3rd goals, the Broomloan was jumping, dancing, singing, waving flags and balloons. The noise we made actually shut you lot up and dulled your own celebrations.

We were brutal, Aluko done to us what Kenny Miller done two year ago and Naismith done last year. Would have loved to win it yesterday, it never happened so hats off to the rangers players who have been hiding the last few weeks to turn it on against us. Distraught?? You wish.

Me thinks you had a few too much before the game.

Outsang from start to finish, every time you started a song it was countered right away.

6zyee8.jpg

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Your utter hatred stands in the way of logic yet again.

Security professionals advised Lennon his safety was not guaranteed in the stands and wouldn't let him go there this led him to say 'That sums up this country'. He said it because security professionals felt it was unsafe, it wasn't pulled out of his arse.

He never said he felt his safety was at risk.

This hysteria about Lennon and twisting of everything he says is what has his life at risk.

Think before you participate in that nonsense, do you really want to be one of those people?

Celtic security professionals, you mean.

Has nothing to do with hatred, he was perfectly able to go to the director's box, risk-free.

It's Celtic people that, for some weird reason, decided against it.

To then come out with, and I quote:
    Lennon said: “I would’ve sat in the stand but I was told by Rangers’ security people that wasn’t a good idea.
    “That sums up this country.”
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2012/03/26/celtic-boss-neil-lennon-security-told-me-i-couldn-t-watch-from-ibrox-stand-that-sums-up-this-country-86908-23801741/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Outsang from start to finish, every time you started a song it was countered right away.

I would expect so considering the Celtic fans were outnumbered 6 to 1. I heard plenty of Celtic singing during the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Me thinks you had a few too much before the game.

Nonsense. The first hour I can give you that, from then on though when we knew it was game over, it was party time. Again, were you there yesterday? Do you meet many Celtic fans in your day to day activities?

I see Lenny will be hauled before the SFA following yesterday's events at Ibrox. I truly hope this is the last time this happens and that he learns his lesson this time. I think he could be a great Celtic manager and this sort of thing sullies his character unfortunately. Lawwell needs to take him aside and explain that his behaviour at times is unacceptable. I don't know what the answer is? An anger management course?

• Advertisement

No I wasn't there, but the microphones around the ground don't lie.

Normally with these games it's pretty much always the away fans who are loudest (like when you won 0-2 last year with the New Year's game), but this time Ibrox was rocking during the entire game.

I'm not denying that the Celtic fans were partying, but I didn't notice a thing from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement