Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring Back Ska!

Options
  • 04-06-2005 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I just remembered that ska is the best genre ever! Its like respecrable punk not saying that punk isnt respectable, but its great you know the ska dancing the crazy songs, the reggae the racial unity! It was big in the late 70s and in the 80s. ska is great I'm planning to bring it back this summer, with a band a website, ska dancing! Listen to the Madness, the Specials and all that
    Keep On Ska-Dancing!
    Yahooo!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

Come on dont peolle like ska? Welcome to the house of ska come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I'd listen to the Specials a bit but I'm not mad into ska.

Specials are great, ghost town was in an episode of father ted did you know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

there was a ska nite on sat nite (lastnite) in the voodoo.. theres a ska nite on the first thursday of every month in waterford..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i love the ol ska, but its not too popular in this forum i think

• Advertisement

Kastro wrote:
    there was a ska nite on sat nite (lastnite) in the voodoo.. theres a ska nite on the first thursday of every month in waterford..
    Really? Who was playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Not a ska fan at all, especially the new kind (reel big fish etc) just all sounds the same to me. Ill listen to madness a bit but its not something i have a lot of time for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

moonstomp.
    mirror in the bathroom.
    Rudy.
    Monkey man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

You may be interested in a band called the Splitters from UK or Pocket Billiards from Ireland.
    I myself am not actually into Ska but my female friend is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I loved the late 70's/early 80's English ska but it never really evolved from there in any meaningful way. It died for a reason.

• Advertisement

There's some standout tracks in ska like "Ghost Town" by the Specials and "House Of Fun" by Madness that everyone loves and they're reknowned but I love ska because of the DIY Punk ethic and I always found it friendlier than 70s punk and its main aim is to bring about racial unity which you have to like. I'd like if there was more good ska nowadays and it was more mainstream.
    Never heard of the Pocket Billiards can you tell me more about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

i'm in a ska band called the rhythm method. we supported the beat and the splitters in march. tunes at:
    www.iol.ie/~mountain/evin/makeit.wma
    www.iol.ie/~mountain/evin/oi.wma
    www.iol.ie/~mountain/evin/tenoutoften.wma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

For ska it's got to be Desmond Dekker. None of this new 90's wave of ska bollocks though, it's awful. The late 70's/early 80's stuff is great though like the Specials et al.

Hey BogOak, your band is pretty cool. Old school stuff!

Advertisement