Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis

Options
  • 09-12-2014 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

"Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Sleep paralysis may accompany other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an overpowering need to sleep caused by a problem with the brain's ability to regulate sleep."

I have personally experienced this about 3 or 4 times but each time it was so terrifying.

Every time it happens, I always feel like I cant speak and in the 'dream', there is an evil presence usually I know the background story of the evil presence and it is always a child of about 5 or 6. I also get the sensation that I am being lifted to the ceiling but I have no control and when I try to scream I cant. I usually then wake up in a cold sweat with an eerie feeling that lasts for a few days.

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i have - it was probably the scariest experience I have ever had. theres a ton of sleep related disorders that can be confused with paranormal experiences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Mods: Someone else happened to post on this topic in After Hours last night so if people are interested you can probably go to that thread. Moderators you close this tread if you wish.

I get it too. First time was scary but now i have control of it and i can tell if its going to be one of those nights. I have actually become comfortable with it too, so much so i have waited to see if an old hag comes in or and alien, but no such luck :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Saralee4 wrote: »
    Mods: Someone else happened to post on this topic in After Hours last night so if people are interested you can probably go to that thread. Moderators you close this tread if you wish.

use the report function on your first post if you want them to close it (being the weekend and close to chrimbo nobody might see this for a while) - personally i reckon it's got a good home here though

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

"Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Sleep paralysis may accompany other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an overpowering need to sleep caused by a problem with the brain's ability to regulate sleep."

I have personally experienced this about 3 or 4 times but each time it was so terrifying.

Every time it happens, I always feel like I cant speak and in the 'dream', there is an evil presence usually I know the background story of the evil presence and it is always a child of about 5 or 6. I also get the sensation that I am being lifted to the ceiling but I have no control and when I try to scream I cant. I usually then wake up in a cold sweat with an eerie feeling that lasts for a few days.

Anyone else experience this?

According those science lads, sleep paralysis happens to everyone when they sleep, sometimes you just become semi-conscious and you're experiencing a combination of reality and dreams. Your body paralyzes itself in certain areas to stop you injuring yourself during a vivid dream.
    Next time it happens, remind yourself that it's normal, take a really sharp deep breath and wiggle your toes. You'll probably come around in no time.
    It happens to me sometimes and it used to freak me out, but now I just breathe and enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement

Thanks pat but it's not something I can control when it happens. It's like you are awake inside the dream or something. It just feels very weird and you feel a bit odd for a few days after. When it happens there is always a dead ghost child of about 7 or 8 and the child is the one pulling me to ceiling. It creeps me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Thanks pat but it's not something I can control when it happens. It's like you are awake inside the dream or something. It just feels very weird and you feel a bit odd for a few days after. When it happens there is always a dead ghost child of about 7 or 8 and the child is the one pulling me to ceiling. It creeps me out.

You can, you just don't know how yet. It's called lucid dreaming, and it's loads of fun once you accept that it's a natural process.

You can, you just don't know how yet. It's called lucid dreaming, and it's loads of fun once you accept that it's a natural process.

Yea I've heard of the term lucid dreaming but never really looked into it. I might give it a try :)

Advertisement