Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A world without Ireland

• 20-11-2012 5:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

How different would the world as we know it be today if nature left a gap in the Atlantic where Ireland exists ?

If Ireland or her people and diaspora never were ?

Would the world be a different place today if Napoleon never had to face an army under the leadership of Wellington at Waterloo ?

How different would places as far away as Argentina and Chile be today if not for the influence of people like William Brown and Bernardo O'Higgins ? Not to mention Che Guevara in the same region years later.

There would have been no JFK (and no Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot him either). No Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama and at least 18 other occupants of the White House over the years. The White House itself wouldn't exist as the architect James hoban was Irish.

No Jim Callaghan or Tony Blair in Downing Street. Indeed there would be no Downing Street either as Sir George Downing who built the place was also Irish !

30% of the population of Australia wouldn't be around.

The world Music and Movies would be denied the talents of people like The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, The Smiths, Oasis, George Clooney, John Wayne, Matt Dillon Mel Gibson Walt Disney, Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Moore and countless others.

There would be no Muhammad Ali, Henry Cooper, John McEnroe, Celtic FC but on the bright side there would be no Wayne Rooney either !

Princes' William and Harry wouldn't exist as their mother, Diana was of Irish descent. In fact their cousins, Beatrice and Eugenie wouldn't be around either as their mother, Sarah Ferguson's lot also hailed from these shores. Although its likely that the whole institution of the British monarchy (and history) would have been altered centuries ago in any case, as the battles of the Boyne and Aughrim would have had to have been fought elsewhere !

No Ford cars. No Duty Free. No Titanic. No Guinness and Whiskey to drown the shamrock on a non existant St Patrick's Day. No Oscar Statuettes, or Dunlop tyres. Irish Pubs, dancing, stew, coffee, jokes...........................

No Herb Kelleher, founder of Southwest Airlines in the US and inspiration for low cost airlines everywhere including Ryanair.

I haven't even mentioned how much poorer the world of literature would be without us.

I'm not gonna include some of our scientific discoveries and inventions as I believe things like the Submarine, Ejector seat and Richter scale would have come along eventually elsewhere. But who knows ?

Of course we've also given the world its fair share of blaggards, chancers and gangsters, but who hasn't? And on the bright side there would be no Tubridy asking everyone about their Irish roots.

Any other ideas or opinions on how different the world would be today if it wasn't for Ireland and the Irish ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You could say the same about almost any country. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

Lapin wrote: »
    How different would the world as we know it be today if nature left a gap in the Atlantic where Ireland exists ?

If Ireland or her people and diaspora never were ?

Would the world be a different place today if Napoleon never had to face an army under the leadership of Wellington at Waterloo ?

How different would places as far away as Argentina and Chile be today if not for the influence of people like William Brown and Bernardo O'Higgins ? Not to mention Che Guevara in the same region years later.

There would have been no JFK (and no Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot him either). No Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama and at least 18 other occupants of the White House over the years. The White House itself wouldn't exist as the architect James hoban was Irish.

No Jim Callaghan or Tony Blair in Downing Street. Indeed there would be no Downing Street either as Sir George Downing who built the place was also Irish !

30% of the population of Australia wouldn't be around.

The world Music and Movies would be denied the talents of people like The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, The Smiths, Oasis, George Clooney, John Wayne, Matt Dillon Mel Gibson Walt Disney, Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Moore and countless others.

There would be no Muhammad Ali, Henry Cooper, John McEnroe, Celtic FC but on the bright side there would be no Wayne Rooney either !

Princes' William and Harry wouldn't exist as their mother, Diana was of Irish descent. In fact their cousins, Beatrice and Eugenie wouldn't be around either as their mother, Sarah Ferguson's lot also hailed from these shores. Although its likely that the whole institution of the British monarchy (and history) would have been altered centuries ago in any case, as the battles of the Boyne and Aughrim would have had to have been fought elsewhere !

No Ford cars. No Duty Free. No Titanic. No Guinness and Whiskey to drown the shamrock on a non existant St Patrick's Day. No Oscar Statuettes, or Dunlop tyres. Irish Pubs, dancing, stew, coffee, jokes...........................

No Herb Kelleher, founder of Southwest Airlines in the US and inspiration for low cost airlines everywhere including Ryanair.

I haven't even mentioned how much poorer the world of literature would be without us.

I'm not gonna include some of our scientific discoveries and inventions as I believe things like the Submarine, Ejector seat and Richter scale would have come along eventually elsewhere. But who knows ?

Of course we've also given the world its fair share of blaggards, chancers and gangsters, but who hasn't? And on the bright side there would be no Tubridy asking everyone about their Irish roots.

Any other ideas or opinions on how different the world would be today if it wasn't for Ireland and the Irish ?

You pretty much covered everything in your post there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I could, but this is boards.ie ;)

You pretty much covered everything in your post there.

No, I forgot Kerrygold butter and Tayto. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

AH HERE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I could, but this is boards.ie ;)

I'm only posting to add a winking smiley ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Rabies wrote: »
    I'm only posting to add a winking smiley ;)

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GeorgeClooney

I'm pretty sure that gap would've been filled up with water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

If only this could happen. Wipe the entire god forsaken sh1thole out and start again.

If only this could happen. Wipe the entire god forsaken sh1thole out and start again.

^^^^^^^
    fkt wrote: »
    AH HERE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

A world without Jesus.

Can you imagine if there had been no Jesus...

Eh f*ck it.

I'm too lazy to write that sh*t out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No gingers. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

No Maggie Thatcher, John Major, David Cameron
    No Charles De Gaulle
    No Jimi Hendrix
    No Charlie Chaplin
    No Elvis Presley
    No Ned Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

No Barak Obama!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well if that were the case we'd either be part of Iceland, Spain/Portugal/France, USA, Canada or Britain! We probably wouldn't be called Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

No Ned Kelly

Excellent.

I've been trying to get rid of mine for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

............no kerrygold?
    OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I like to imagine it would look something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

And no Barry's Tea :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well at least there'd be no self-depreciation or begrudgery in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Im sure the world would keep on turning just fine.

There be no GAA! :(

No Guinness...no barrys tea or no kerrymaid/low low....no st paddy's day!? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well, you'll lose the Beatles. On the other hand Haughey, Ahern and Cowen cease to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

doovdela wrote: »
    There be no GAA! :(

be worth it then.

The world without ireland now would be about as important as the world without slovakia or burma.

the world without ireland historically would be a world where they have to find cheap emigrant labour from other sources.

Europe without ireland now would mean it wouldn't be in as much trouble.

The delusion about our percieved importance to the world is one of the most hilarious aspects of irish culture.

Someone on the israel thread asking where our government is on this :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,282 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No boards

Leftist wrote: »
    be worth it then.

The world without ireland now would be about as important as the world without slovakia or burma.

the world without ireland historically would be a world where they have to find cheap emigrant labour from other sources.

Europe without ireland now would mean it wouldn't be in as much trouble.

The delusion about our percieved importance to the world is one of the most hilarious aspects of irish culture.

Someone on the israel thread asking where our government is on this :D:D

There be no rugby for our provinces I'd say as we'd be routing for another country I'd say....

I don't know how would the US, Britain and Oz feel being without Ireland in the historical sense then?? On the basis of Europe then we would not matter much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No boards

Sweet mother of god, what would we all do?
    Oh thats right we would be somewhere else or not exist.
    Don't scare me like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

No British Empire then..............:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

No Maggie Thatcher, John Major, David Cameron
    No Charles De Gaulle
    No Jimi Hendrix
    No Charlie Chaplin
    No Elvis Presley
    No Ned Kelly

There would still be a Tony Cascarino :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ireland has never produced a singular figure who shaped the world for good or bad. No Alexander, Caesar, Hitler or Peter the Great. The hint being we have never had an empire and shaped world events - they have shaped us.
    But being irrelevant is no bad thing - we seriously missed out on a lot of wars that the above named started or were involved in.
    Well, we did have the Duke of Wellington but he disliked that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They'd be no white house as the chap that designed it was from Co Kilkenny,

There may not be a Coca Cola brand as one of the guys that helped start it..his family were from Ireland..again Co Kilkenny,

What about the greats from 1800's-1920's? Other than St patrick himself...even if he were welsh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

There would be almost certainly no twilight.

cheers for that bram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

There would be no dicky Pride. The world needs to have some dicky pride.

• Advertisement

They might have got someone else to build the White House.

Or are you saying the POTUS would be sleeping on the streets because they couldn't find an Irishman to build him a gaff. Far fetched I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

They might have got someone else to build the White House.

Or are you saying the POTUS would be sleeping on the streets because they couldn't find an Irishman to build him a gaff. Far fetched I reckon.

He's saying there would be no white house. There would obviously be a different HQ for the President, but it wouldn't be as it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

No bleerin fordineers takin oirish jobs eedaar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

There'd be no me and what a terrible world that would be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Christianity may not have survived in Europe. So its not all good.;)

• Advertisement

If the island of Ireland dissappeared in an instant, wouldnt the void cause a tsunami of some sort?

Great Britain, France, Northern Spain and Portugal would be hard hit.
    Isle of man is Fkuced!

The isle of man would likely disappear with Ireland in tow! And maybe Iceland/Britain but maybe not britain....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

doovdela wrote: »
    The isle of man would likely disappear with Ireland in tow! And maybe Iceland/Britain but maybe not britain....

And The Gathering would be a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wales would be washed away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Imagine there's no Irish
    I wonder if you can
    No O'Neills or Gallaghers
    No sons of Irishman.

Imagine there's no Eire
    It's easy if you try
    No roads below us
    Above us ryanairless sky.

Yoohoohooohooo
    You may say I'm a Paddy
    But we are the chosen ones.
    I Hope some daaaaaahahay you'll recogonise us
    As without us there would be no sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

These are but some of the things invented/advanced by Irish people.

Milk chocolate - Sloane
    Flavoured Crisps - Murphy
    Chemical Fertiliser - Murray
    Periscope - Grubb
    Perforated stamps - Archer
    Stethoscope - Leared
    Endoscope - Cruise
    Milk of Magnesia - Murray
    Tyres - Dunlop
    Induction coil, Lead acid batteries & electro magnet - Callan
    Submarine - Holland
    Syringe & local anesthetics - Meath hospital
    Boyles law - Boyle
    Boolean math - Boole
    quaternions - Hamilton
    hangmans drop - Haughton
    Splitting the atom - Walton
    Colour photography - Berkeley
    Kelvin temperature scale - Kelvin
    Fluid dynamics - George Stokes
    Acetylene - Edmund Davy
    Why is the sky blue - John Tyndall
    Tractor - Ferguson
    Steam Turbine - Parsons
    Ejector seat - Martin
    Cancer treatment - Joly

Not bad really, pity we value our artists & celebrities and not those who have made real material contributions to humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Your lapin mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The Olympics Opening Ceremony Organisers would have an awkward situation, as Iraq would be followed by their good friends Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Jedward :eek:

If there were no Ireland, would we not still exist, just some place else?
    And is there no Island of Ireland, or just the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

Skid wrote: »
    The Olympics Opening Ceremony Organisers would have an awkward situation, as Iraq would be followed by their good friends Israel.

Trust the irish to get in the middle of a row!:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement