Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor cat in rural area

Options
  • 26-08-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking for some advice about keeping cats outdoors. A stray kitten has been hanging around my home the last few days. It would be handy to have around the grounds so I am wondering can a cat be kept exclusively outdoors? My thinking is just feed it 3 times a day and it can keep the mice at bay and do its own thing. I will get a vet to check it over and give it what is needed as well.

For the record I am highly allergic to cats so there is ZERO chance of it coming in the house. I would give it a insulated shelter so would be dry and warm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

We have a cat that never comes into the house, feed it once a day and sleeps in the shed. No problems. Great for keeping the mice population down around the farm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

All our cats as kids were outdoor farm cars
    stictly out doors and never ever ever ever slept on my bed

(Except for the fact I slept with my window open and they knew a soft touch when they saw one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Shouldnt be a problem at all once it has shelter etc and water / food. Definately recommend trying to catch it though and bring to to your local vet for all vaccinations, (especially against Feline Aids) and getting it neutered is essential. One wild cat can quickly end up as 6 or 7 depending on its gender and / or will stop it from spaying around the outside walls of the house. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Absolutely essential is that the cat is neutered, if you can't do this then please have the cat trapped and rehomed through a rescue. Vaccinations will have to be given too. It is very very important that the cat is used to being handled. If he ever was to get injured then you need to be able to bring him to a vet without too much stress on the cat.

Despite what some people think, cats crave company, they enjoy being around their people for the most part, if there is no way the cat can come indoors, can you try to spend a bit of time outside with it, playing etc, you don't have to touch it, but playing with a ribbon for it to chase or something?

The cats safety is paramount, if you are near a road, please reconsider having an outdoor only cat, chances are he will get hit by a car. Do you even have a porch or utility room you can close the cat into at night, and at dawn/dusk? This would help keep the cat safe, but it's also important for your local wild bird population. With this in mind, a bell would be a good idea too.

I know there was no suggestion of this, but please do not under-feed the cat in the hope it will hunt better, it most likely will not, and will scavenge in your bins instead. A hunting cat will hunt, well fed or not.

We had such low temperatures last year, any animal kept outside will need artificial heating and a fully enclosed sleeping area to be in any way comfortable if temps drop that low again. Can you provide that? (a heat lamp in an insulated cat house in a shed for instance)

Personally, looking at my 2 cuddled up on my bed, just shows me how they are really house pets, but then I know that many people, especially with land out the country, do keep them outside for rodent control. Just be responsible about it and I'm sure it would be fine.

Advertisement