Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-office job for Mech Eng

Options
  • 28-12-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Is there any non-office jobs out there for a mechanical engineer? Currently stuck at a desk for the most part of 9 hours a day and it's not for me.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What do you do now?

In R&D or New Product Introduction you usually get a chance to get into the lab, or out of the office, abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hughie1989

The main part of my job is drafting part numbers to be used for sales orders. But its all very standardised and monotonous as hell!

I'd love to be out and about but that seems only for service technicians or sales people (depending on sector I guess).

From my experience, R&D is hard to get into without a PhD - which is something I am also considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Where (geographically) are you working ?

Long Gone wrote: »
    Where (geographically) are you working ?

Still in Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

hughie1989 wrote: »
    Still in Ireland....

I'd broaden my horizons and look for work further afield if I was you. A lot of mechanical engineering jobs in Ireland tend to fall into the "Mickey Mouse" category. Seems wrong that you're hating being stuck in an office when so many companies internationally are finding it more and more difficult to recruit and retain staff for international work - Assuming that you're actually up for that. Too many young graduates just get a few years experience on their CVs then want to settle into a more stable home centric lifestyle. Difficult (despite the financial rewards) to retain staff in a job which involves extensive overseas travel and work / nightshift working and so on.

• Advertisement

Long Gone wrote: »
    I'd broaden my horizons and look for work further afield if I was you. A lot of mechanical engineering jobs in Ireland tend to fall into the "Mickey Mouse" category. Seems wrong that you're hating being stuck in an office when so many companies internationally are finding it more and more difficult to recruit and retain staff for international work - Assuming that you're actually up for that. Too many young graduates just get a few years experience on their CVs then want to settle into a more stable home centric lifestyle. Difficult (despite the financial rewards) to retain staff in a job which involves extensive overseas travel and work / nightshift working and so on.

I would indeed consider anything at this point. A few friends are going to Canada in the new year so I am also thinking about going with them. But then I'm afraid I will get fed up of being stuck in an office over there!!

Any suggestions on where to search for travel orientated jobs on a more international scale??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'd love to be out and about but that seems only for service technicians or sales people (depending on sector).

In construction most contract and project managers spend a good deal of time out and about. Similar for consulting engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'd love to be out and about but that seems only for service technicians or sales people (depending on sector).

In construction most contract and project managers spend a good deal of time out and about. Similar for consulting engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The main part of my job is drafting part numbers to be used for sales orders. But its all very standardised and monotonous as hell!

You need to be a mech eng to do that? The problem might not so much be office based as what you're doing in the office. I'm in FMCG manufacturing and it's about as varied as you could get: about 70% office based (with any amount of variation from managing day to day maintenance activities to (multi-million at times) capex projects) and 30% hands on the floor (either relating to the office work, hands on problem solving, surveying issues to be addressed). The breadth of equipment and processes means you don't ever really get to the end of it.

There's good chance of progression moving from plant engineer (where you learn the ropes), managing a small dept (where you get to be end responsible) then moving on either to bigger or to general management. Money ain't the worst either.

I'd steer clear of pharma however as the regs end of things stifles much of the freedom, flexibility (and joy).

You need to be a mech eng to do that?

It's not quite that simple but that's the jist.
    The problem might not so much be office based as what you're doing in the office. I'm in FMCG manufacturing and it's about as varied as you could get: about 70% office based (with any amount of variation from managing day to day maintenance activities to (multi-million at times) capex projects) and 30% hands on the floor (either relating to the office work, hands on problem solving, surveying issues to be addressed). The breadth of equipment and processes means you don't ever really get to the end of it.

There's good chance of progression moving from plant engineer (where you learn the ropes), managing a small dept (where you get to be end responsible) then moving on either to bigger or to general management. Money ain't the worst either.

There is some variation in what I do at the minute but it's the same process each time and I suppose I was under the impression that every office-based job was the same.
    I'd steer clear of pharma however as the regs end of things stifles much of the freedom, flexibility (and joy).

The industry I'm currently in is very highly regulated also so I would agree with this. I have no interest whatsoever in going into the pharma/medical devices, although I believe there is good money to be made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement