Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism on the radio

• 28-11-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭

I'm on the bus and there's some guy complaining about Africans taking Irish jobs, does anyone know what station it is?

"They speak black, they speak brown, they speak yellow"

He's set up some sort of Irish pride website and the radio presenter accused him of incitement to hatred.

From what I can discern he said that Paul McGrath wasn't Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The man sounds like a thick fool. He won't go that far with that sort of logic. Paul McGrath is a great Irishman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Demonique wrote: »

"They speak black, [..], they speak yellow"

http://www.halesfreight.com/

racist bastards alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Irish pride website

http://www.irishpride.ie/ :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Is he rapping this . Is there a beat in the backround ? If so its just some gangsta rap g .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I bet it was that lunchtime phone show on 4fm. Every time I tune into that it's just a load of people slagging off foreigners and immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Fm104 phone show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I know that caller on the radio, he lives across the road from me. Julian he calls himself, nice guy, works in Topman as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Tune in to 1.9.8.4....:pac:....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

squod wrote: »

Well, they'll have my vote anyway. This is exactly what we knead.

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

I bet it was that lunchtime phone show on 4fm. Every time I tune into that it's just a load of people slagging off foreigners and immigrants.

It was at 9 in the evening though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Did he say what county he was from or anything....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nodin wrote: »
    Did he say what county he was from or anything....

Crettinia. It's a new county I've just invented.

OP, was he on the way from the dole office to Paddy Power's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

What dya really expect when you listen to phone in shows at this hour...

darragh16 wrote: »
    What dya really expect when you listen to phone in shows at this hour...

Seeing as I was on the bus and I don't control the radio on the bus...

It would be Niall Boylan on 4FM so. It's like a more extreme version of Liveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Whats your point get over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

squod wrote: »

Bloody white inbread supremacists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Crettinia. It's a new county I've just invented.

OP, was he on the way from the dole office to Paddy Power's?

Or was he on his way to Druid's Glen golf course from his stockbroker's office?
    Bugger off with your class stereotyping. The lower class in this country live among all races, especially in Dublin. Try Foxrock if you want to find estates full of racists and not a black face to be seen for miles.

Or was he on his way to Druid's Glen golf course from his stockbroker's office?
    Bugger off with your class stereotyping. The lower class in this country live among all races, especially in Dublin. Try Foxrock if you want to find estates full of racists and not a black face to be seen for miles.

I'm not stereotyping the 'lower' class, whatever that is. I'm stereotyping the knuckle-dragging racists.

And Foxrock is full of racists because no black people live there? Way to impugn a whole town full of people. Who's class stereotyping now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Whats your point get over it!

That makes absolutely no sense. I'm thinking that maybe English isn't your mother tongue. :P

• Advertisement

I'm not stereotyping the 'lower' class, whatever that is. I'm stereotyping the knuckle-dragging racists.

You were stereotyping the lower class as racists. I pointed out that in addition to being a stereotype, it's not true, because guess where the migrants live? In working class areas predominantly.
    And Foxrock is full of racists because no black people live there? Way to impugn a whole town full of people. Who's class stereotyping now?

Indeed. I could simply point out that I was pastiching your own post. But actually, now I think about it, I'm happy to run with the notion that the reason why people spend fortunes to live in areas where migrants can't afford to live may well be because they are racist. In America, it's known as 'white flight.'

You were stereotyping the lower class as racists. I pointed out that in addition to being a stereotype, it's not true, because guess where the migrants live? In working class areas predominantly.

I just explained I wasn't stereotyping 'lower' class people.

When I said the racist was on his way from the dole office I was characterising him as uneducated. I wasn't characterising all people claiming the dole as racists.

If you can't see that, there's nothing I can do for you.

I just explained I wasn't stereotyping 'lower' class people.

When I said the racist was on his way from the dole office I was characterising him as uneducated. I wasn't characterising all people claiming the dole as racists.

If you can't see that, there's nothing I can do for you.

I see you trying to wriggle out of what you said. But it's perfectly clear for everyone to read. You characterised the racist as someone on the dole. It doesn't matter that you didn't say "everyone on the dole is a racist". What matters is that you attempted to equate the two.
    But hey, you keep on digging. I see now you're characterising unemployed people as uneducated as well as racist. Might possibly have been true once, but not in circumstances where 450,000 people are without work, and architects are getting refused jobs in McDonalds. Basically, you just have some chip on your shoulder about the unemployed which has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pom pom snaz peeler

I see you trying to wriggle out of what you said. But it's perfectly clear for everyone to read. You characterised the racist as someone on the dole. It doesn't matter that you didn't say "everyone on the dole is a racist". What matters is that you attempted to equate the two.
    But hey, you keep on digging. I see now you're characterising unemployed people as uneducated as well as racist. Might possibly have been true once, but not in circumstances where 450,000 people are without work, and architects are getting refused jobs in McDonalds. Basically, you just have some chip on your shoulder about the unemployed which has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

ur an idiot Cavehill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it was the late show with niall boylan.
    was listening and heard that thing spouting its bull. i don't know why its worried about "the foreigners taking our jobs" considering its unemployable anyway.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Ah jaysus Joe they does be comin' from all over da wurld takin' are jobs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

. Try Foxrock if you want to find estates full of racists and not a black face to be seen for miles.

No it's not. I was born in Foxrock, I know dozens of people from there, and i wouldnt class one of them as racist. Your right though, not many black family's, but thats only due to the fact that they havent moved there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

So long as the they can speak fluent english and pay there taxes no one has a problem with anyone working here
    But at the moment the goverment should close the door here for a while to let the younger and Irish people get a start

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

If you can't compete for a job then the economy is better off without you.

'But dey bleedin only employ de foreigner's because dey wok for bleedin less!' - What a croc of ****e, no employer would be stupid enough to underpay on the basis of nationality and leave themselves open to law suits.

Racism against legitimate migrant workers during times of recession is an argument for weak, idiotic people.

If you don't have a job then don't blame someone simply because they're not Irish and are deemed to be a better worker than you. If you really want to blame someone then blame the wreckless policies of the previous government(s) which has decreased the number of jobs and made it even more competitive.

Better yet, stop complaining, improve your skills and compete like everyone else. Stop trying to find a scape-goat.

This isn't a go at people unemployed currently, its a go at people who blame foreigners for them being unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

sasta le wrote: »
    So long as the they can speak fluent english and pay there taxes no one has a problem with anyone working here
    But at the moment the goverment should close the door here for a while to let the younger and Irish people get a start

And what about the Irish that want to emigrate? Should countries close the door to them for a while?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Higher wrote: »
    If you can't compete for a job then the economy is better off without you.

Oxymoron. Why, in that case, aren't foreign workers 'competing' at home?

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Oxymoron. Why, in that case, aren't foreign workers 'competing' at home?

Why do you think? I mean its pretty obvious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Do you propose some form of exam to test their English proficiency?

How do you expect them to learn fluent English without assimilating in to the society in the first place?

Maybe, just maybe, someone whose English is less than perfect will be speaking fluent in English after six months working alongside anglophones.

ah here, come on, you can't be serious, you hear it almost every night of the week the same people spouting crap because they can't get a job because "the foreigners are takin our jobs" even though the reason they can't get a job is because their just not the right candidate.
    why? employers have to be able to employ the best candidate for their jobs
    anyway under EU rules we do have to let some foreigners in (citizens of EU countries, who technically are foreign nationals) so we can't close the door, as for helping the younger and the irish get a start, creating more jobs will help that happen. if an irish person is good enough they will get the job.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

And what about the Irish that want to emigrate? Should countries close the door to them for a while?
    ah come on now you know the reason, shur were the "irish" we can go where we want and do what we like because were "irish"

• Advertisement

ah come on now you know the reason, shur were the "irish" we can go where we want and do what we like because were "irish"

shur everyone loves us!

By all means yes if they decide its right for the country at the time they would be entitled to
    Maybe not very high skill jobs but give young irish a chance to get minimum wage jobs at least

Higher wrote: »
    shur everyone loves us!

ah shur they do begarra begosh

Ok i even asked it before in a thread why are Africans and Aisans with very poor english been given taxi licences?

If i want to move to the states i can't because i don't have a degree or a skill needed there,so is there a skill shortage in the taxi industry?

Look at all the people working here on "student visas"

Ok i even asked it before in a thread why are Africans and Aisans with very poor english been given taxi licences?
    why don't you contact the regulator and ask? infact why are taxi licences being issued in this day and age? the place is saturated with them and many can't make anything.
    is there a skill shortage in the taxi industry?
    no, the waste of space taxi regulator won't stop issuing licences.
    whats your point? if people are working here illegally it is up to the government to deal with it, maybe people are here on legitimate student visas and are working legally? if their here illegally again its up to the government to deal with it.

• Advertisement

why don't you contact the regulator and ask? infact why are taxi licences being issued in this day and age? the place is saturated with them and many can't make anything.

no, the waste of space taxi regulator won't stop issuing licences.

whats your point? if people are working here illegally it is up to the government to deal with it, maybe people are here on legitimate student visas and are working legally? if their here illegally again its up to the government to deal with it.

Yes and i wish the goverment would tighten it up to stop it

Look at all these sham colleges pay for the course and get your student visa and they all working over the amount of allowed hours,

Even set up a working visa programme that they could charge for might make the goverment money just an outside idea

If i want to move to the states i can't because i don't have a degree or a skill needed there,so is there a skill shortage in the taxi industry?

For the same reason that Irish taxi drivers with very poor english get given taxi licences.

Yes and i wish the goverment would tighten it up to stop it
    oh completely agree, the taxi regulator should be sacked and no more licences issued to anyone so the current taxis can make something at least.
    Look at all these sham colleges pay for the course and get your student visa
    oh? and what colleges would they be? where are they? how do you know about them? and "its a known fact" isn't good enough, because if i don't know about them then their not known to me.
    and they all working over the amount of allowed hours,
    oh because the perfect irish would never break the rules and work over their hours, grow up. their are many irish taxi drivers and other drivers working over their hours because they have families to support and have no other choice.

Well how do people here feel with the goverment shutting the door here to give the young irish a chance in jobs?

Well how do people here feel with the goverment shutting the door here to give the young irish a chance in jobs?

You mean withdraw from the EU free movement yoke? Double edged sword, really.

anyone of them that are sensible will realise that it wouldn't work. the reason the young irish aren't getting jobs is because their are very few, with hundreds and sometimes thousands applying for that same job. also a hell of a lot of the migrant workers who came here during the good times have gone home.

Just debating here,i can see the 2 sides of the story

Most gone away would be mid 20s on i would say but the 18 to 24 age is very hard to get work

Must be annoying going to your local centra staffed by all Aisans and plenty of young irish could be doing the job

Most gone away would be mid 20s on i would say but the 18 to 24 age is very hard to get work

Must be annoying going to your local centra staffed by all Aisans and plenty of young irish could be doing the job

...even when they're sexy asians...?

so are we all, so its all good.
    its the same in a lot of countries in europe and around the world effected by recession so we aren't alone, we could be way worse though, we could be greece.
    Must be annoying going to your local centra staffed by all Asians and plenty of young irish could be doing the job
    its the same in a lot of countries, the natives could be doing the jobs but migrants are doing them instead, do note that many irish even in this current climate wouldn't even do the jobs, in saying that their are many irish working in these jobs. i'm sure its annoying going somewhere for a job and you can't get one but thats the way it is now days, if theirs a job and an irish person is the best candidate then they will get the job.

Except that a lot of the people I encounter who complain about the foreigners 'taking our jobs' aren't fluent in English themselves...

• Advertisement
Advertisement