Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which is more important: doing what is right or obeying the law?

• 28-11-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

At different points in our history and in different countries the laws have varied considerably. Some laws were meant to enforce human rights yet some enforced ineqaulity eg the segregation in africa or america. My point is some people during times when the law worked against certain people stood up and broke the law. In my opinion they were right yet some have condemened them for it. Im not religous but one of my favouraite phrases is " the law is made for man, not man for the law". In my opinion its ok to break the law when enforcing anothers rights. Eg womens rights in some Muslim countries. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I fought the law and the law won...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Doing right of course, absolutely no question.

"Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or who says it." - by Malcolm X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd have no problem breaking the law if I felt what I was doing was right. As long as I did the right thing, I wouldn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

doing what is right

also '**** the police' - nwa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

It depends: Right for you but wrong for others? Mostly the law is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

kincsem wrote: »
    It depends: Right for you but wrong for others? Mostly the law is right.

Well if its wrong for others ef segregation according to race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Two rules.

1. Don't be a dickhead to others.

2. Don't get caught breaking the unjust laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Really a bit of a stupid question in fairness.
    Of course doing the right thing trumps following the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

To play devil's advocate a bit...

Everyone has their own personal philosophies and their own idea of what is right and wrong. There are overlaps that most people agree with, but these also change over time.

Doesn't a psychopath have as much justification for killing someone as you have for breaking some other law? Surely we need some external/objective/independent validation for what is "right" and "wrong". Societal consensus would be the obvious choice. But then, weren't the Jim Crow laws popular among the majority in the US? You certainly wouldn't have found much validation for a view that it's wrong to discriminate against blacks.

So then it comes back to, why does your personal beliefs about right and wrong give you better justification than someone else for breaking the law; a law which was in most cases enacted by a democratically elected government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dave! wrote: »

So then it comes back to, why does your personal beliefs about right and wrong give you better justification than someone else for breaking the law; a law which was in most cases enacted by a democratically elected government?

Yeah, shur a few years back these were the biggest bunch of lawbreaking cunts going.......... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=255
    Fucked in prison they should have been.
    Tongue in cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

steddyeddy wrote: »
    At different points in our history and in different countries the laws have varied considerably. Some laws were meant to enforce human rights yet some enforced ineqaulity eg the segregation in africa or america. My point is some people during times when the law worked against certain people stood up and broke the law. In my opinion they were right yet some have condemened them for it. Im not religous but one of my favouraite phrases is " the law is made for man, not man for the law". In my opinion its ok to break the law when enforcing anothers rights. Eg womens rights in some Muslim countries. What does everyone else think?

So when are you actually planning on going to Saudi Arabia and breaking their laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

"One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law"
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There is sodall relationship between the law and justice.

Ireland had one of the best legal systems in the world - But one of the worst justice systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It really depends on such a huge variety of variables.

What law?
    Time and place?
    Situation?
    People involved?
    Consequences for you and other...

The list go on , there is no black or white here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The 3 stages of illegality in Ireland cloudy's that up,...Thats grand, dont push it and your taking the piss..seems to work for most of us (thanks to DoB). If only the rest of the world could follow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I generally avoid trying to get 6 star wanted level.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

It depends. For the likes of the segregation example in the op I would be very much against the law in such cases. But in a more general sense what is "right" and what is "wrong" is very much subjective. For example many religious in the likes of the UK have used the very same reasoning described in the op to justify not using the UK legal system and instead going to sharia law, honour killings etc. because form their point of view it is what is "right".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

There's a big difference between law and justice as we've seen in this country over the last few years.

The law is increasingly irrelevant - we have Gardai/Government ministers/TDs breaking the law with apparent impunity. Meanwhile we have rapists getting off with fines and people who avoid tax going to prison (again, unless you are a TD!).

Justice is blind, the law quite clearly is not! Justice is what matters though not the law - "the law" is just a collection of books. It is increasingly complicated in order to justify the salaries of those who practice it - the very same people who necessitated the complexity by finding loopholes to free their rich clients.

"Every being in the universe knows right from wrong" - K-PAX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

RainMaker wrote: »
    people who avoid tax going to prison its great

completely agree theft is theft tax evasions cost more then dole cheat yet you normally get in more trouble for welfare fraud thankfully that seems to be changing

Advertisement