Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 hours later

• 29-11-2012 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

In spite of all the threads, news broadcasts, and in general, the information we hear and absorb with destruction and a seemingly endless list of mankind at its worst. It seems that, may be there is some hope?

New York, I have always associated in some way with violence and all kinds of misfortune. It could be that I watch too many movies, or pay too much attention to 24 hour news coverage. But, do ye know something? I heard about New York having it's first violent crime free 24 hours in living memory. I actually smiled when I read about it. Granted, they probably did have crime, but when a city with 8 million people suddenly decides to "take a break" from inflicting actual, physical pain onto another human being (even unknowing to themselves), something must be right?

Coincidence or chance? Good prevailing over Evil? We're on this small Island, a place with probably a diminishing reputation for friendliness, safety and compassion with a mere 4.5 million people. I can't remember when I didn't switch on the news, or read a local or national newspaper when somebody didn't take it upon themselves to cause actual physical pain onto a fellow human being. If New York can do it for 24 hours, surely the Irish can?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Normal service has since been resumed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

You want criminals to go on strike for 24 hours? :rolleyes:

This thread needs more zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

One swallow does not make it a day of two swallows, or somthing similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

New york has always been a dump any time i've been there.Don't see the attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dónal wrote: »
    This thread needs more zombies Ryan Adams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

pmcmahon wrote: »
    New york has always been a dump any time i've been there.Don't see the attraction.

Yet you've obviously been there a few times:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yet you've obviously been there a few times:rolleyes:

not by my choice might i add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In other news: there has been a decline in the reporting of crime in New York. Authorities believe this phenomenon is motivated by an overwhelming atmosphere of fear prompted by a massive increase in crime.

Pottler wrote: »
    One swallow does not make it a day of two swallows, or somthing similar.

Even the hookers took a day off is what youre getting at here

• Advertisement

The real best city in the U.S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They're all working sucking up the salty seawater.

kowloon wrote: »
    They're all working sucking up the salty seawater.

Working on their complexion

Reminds me of this episode of Henry's Cat, where they write a jingle to encourage criminals to go on holiday.

http://www.henryscat.com/hctv/video/series4/05_The_Jingle_H263_320x240.mov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

<Chicago video>

The real best city in the U.S

While this is undoubtedly true :D, New York actually has surprisingly low levels of violent crime for a large American city.

OP, what is your view of Ireland as a less friendly, safe place based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No, that would be one "pull away at the last second with impeccable, experienced timing":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

not by my choice might i add.

Kidnapped ?

Can't stand up to the missus ?

Hate your job ?

Sucks.

While this is undoubtedly true :D, New York actually has surprisingly low levels of violent crime for a large American city.

OP, what is your view of Ireland as a less friendly, safe place based on?

It certainly does. You have to give timoney and the boys their due.

Its quite an achievement to have got crime levels to a manageable level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Just the NYPD's version of Bill Rawls massaging the crime stats most likely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement