Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congestive Heart Failure

Options
  • 21-08-2011 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

My dog has Congestive Heart Failure and Fluid Retention problems in the lungs. She is on tablets and they were working well up on till 2-3 Days ago.

She was coughing a little bit and it has now got pretty bad. Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and how did they calm the cough down. Just until I get to see a vet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

so sorry to hear this. is she by any chance a cavalier? about 5 yrs ago my mas cavalier jess had this. she was grand for about 3 yrs on tablets until like your girl, she took a turn. At this stage jess had been on all the meds she could be on.
    We did the only thing we could do for her at this stage, at that was to let her go.Now im not saying that this is what you will have to do as i dont know your girls history, eg, how long has she been on meds, what meds is she on, how bad is her cough. Jess at the end was very bad, she couldnt even stand up or turn over and she would have a coughing fit.
    If it was me, depending how bad she is i would be getting her to vet today as i wouldnt let mine suffer, maybe all she needs is a higher dose of med or something.
    Good luck with her anyways and do let us know what the out come is. hopefully she will have many months left in her. And im sure you will do whats best for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I too had a dog years ago that developed the same illness. She ended up on tablets and stayed on them for just over two years. Not knowing how long your dog has been on the tablets makes it hard to know at what stage she is at. I think dogs can have a good quality of life with the medication but I did find towards the end my dog just got slower and slower - its sad to see them like this but I think you will know yourself when its time to say goodbye. I hope your dog has many happy days to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

You should give your vet a call for advice, they may want to see you today or be happy to leave it until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Sorry about your dog x,If your dog has heart problems and starts coughing alot you should go to your vet and maybe get a recent xray done to see how things are.Only reason im saying that is because my beloved boxer Bruno had it (dialated cardiomyopathy).He went through alot :(.xxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Robinwood

Its obvious that you should take your dog to Vat and what ever they think is good for her you should let him do that. I know why are you fearing to take to the Vat, you may be thinking that they may let her to sleep forever... but do not worry they gonna do what they think is right for her ! So accept it and go to the Vat as soon as possible and release her from the pain !

• Advertisement

How is your dog doing ? xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Just to update this. The dog was not as bad yesterday. So we decided to leave the vet. But it has got worse again.

Me and my Dad have decided today, that we are going to get her put too sleep, this week. She is 14 Years of age, has had a good life. Letting her suffer with this coughing and kidding ourselfs that the drugs are going to help her improve is not worth it on us or the dog.

Hope I don't sound mean in this post, but it's for the best. I'm only 21 and this is nothing new to me. You could say I am thick skinned, I had a dog put too sleep when I was 14 and I witnessed the whole thing so it's no suffering for the dog.

Hard times when dogs are coming to the end of there life's. We had some good times and bad times (toilet training !). And when she was only 1-2 years of age , she followed me around the shop, and ran out in front of a car , got hit. Thankfully it was only her paw that got grased and she was running home. When I caught up with her, picked her up and ran home with her.

My mother actully though I was the one who got knocked down there was blood all over me from her paw. So she got her second chance at life and well she enjoyed it !

Im so sorry xxx.I had to make that decision in december and its not easy :(Like you said its not fair to let them suffer.xxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Sorry to hear but I think you are making the right decision. My own dog died in the waiting room of the Vets office with congestive failure when we decided enough was enough - we also said afterwards that she was such a good dog that she even saved us the vet fee at the end - we still cried buckets!! She was 12 yrs old - so sad to let them go but sometimes its for the best.

Advertisement