Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

30fps or 60fps ???

Options
  • 31-10-2014 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

With Youtube finally bringing out the option on watching vids at 60fps and having both experienced this and playing games at 60fps I am actually quite torn on the subject of what better 60 or 30.

60fps feel fantastic but looks really weird to me , it feels like everything is fast forward motion and sometimes takes me out of experience abit.

30fps always felt fine and I feel quite confused when I seen outlandish comments from people who are mostly pc gamers who experienced these games on its highest resoultion and fps than 30fps is unplayable ? Is it really ?

I am currently playing dishonoured dlc on ps3 which unreal engine never was great on but when I jump from seeing pc games on max setting and 60fps and go to dishonoured on a 8 year old machine I dunno I still think the game looks gorgeous and runs great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

With regards to games, I'm usually fine with with either.
    The most important caveat is that it should be a STABLE 30/60 fps experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

It really depends on the type of game you play. For competitive, fast paced FPS' 60 frames per second does make a significant difference. Arguably, RTS games would not necessarily need the increased frame rate as 30 frames per second would be enough.

Personally, I prefer 60 frames per second. The game feels smoother, responsiveness seems better, and it is easier on the eye. Titanfall is a great example.

Make sure you set the video settings to 720/1080@60fps in order to see it properly.

I would also agree with the poster above who says it must be stable. However, as most master race users would know, it is quite easy to get 60+ fps and therefore we can adjust settings to achieve the optimal frame-rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

I wouldn't have thought that anyone would choose 30fps over 60 given the choice...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

60 fps is far better for games in every case. It's a smoother experience with less controller lag and games just play so much better in 60 fps. However 30 fps isn't going to ruin a game either. As long as it's a stable 30 then it's usually fine but when I have a choice it's 60 all the way, once you play a game in 60 you just can't go back.

Also on youtube 30 will look better because you are watch footage and not playing a game. You are used to footage at 24 fps which is why 60 look weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

PC master race checking in:

Only filthy peasants play at anything less than 144 fps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

It did not destroy my enjoyment when I reach blighttown in dark souls when frames went to 10fps, Truthfully I hardly noticed or never noticed frame lag till I got to play the fallout 3 dlc where you thhere was mines everything and frames dropped to -00000fps :L

Played last of us 60 and while it controlled better cutscenes looked weird and movement aswell seemed so sped up.
    Even metro 2033 felt weird 60 to me

I dunno what it is about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This isn't the XB1 vs PS4 thread back, but in disguise?

A solid frame rate is more important than a high frame rate.
    If a game is designed to run at 60fps but drops frames when the action gets hot it's distracting.
    Better to lock it to 30fps and use the excess power to invest in the gameplay and visuals on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

60 Stable is perfect, i find car games locked to 30 are fine also but usually a limitation of the engine rather than the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This isn't the XB1 vs PS4 thread back, but in disguise?

A solid frame rate is more important than a high frame rate.
    If a game is designed to run at 60fps but drops frames when the action gets hot it's distracting.
    Better to lock it to 30fps and use the excess power to invest in the gameplay and visuals on offer.
    Stable / fast frame rate is a debate that stretches back through the generations.
    E.g. 50/60Hz games.
    Unstable frame rate nearly ruined the masterpiece that is Shadow of the Colussus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Stable / fast frame rate is a debate that stretches back through the generations.
    E.g. 50/60Hz games.
    Unstable frame rate nearly ruined the masterpiece that is Shadow of the Colussus.

Did it ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

E.g. 50/60Hz games.

And there was only one winner there, 60Hz. Even 50Hz games are a total pig to play compared to 60Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I have NEVER played a game and thought to myself "This would be so much better at 30fps!"

Its not even a debate which is best.. 60fps or greater (I wouldn't be happy with shooters like cs at anything less than 100fps) is superior in every genre.

Anyone that thinks RTS games are fine at 30fps is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there really is no argument to favour 30fps if one can achieve a stable 60fps.

There is no truth to the argument that 30fps is more cinematic in any form, 24fps being the cinematic framerate is a lot more complicated matter then just being 24fps involving dynamic ranges in lighting and a whole host of calibration with a nice topping of cost on top of it that has defined 24fps as the frame rate most films are shot on and it has nothing to do with the 20-30fps range being some cinematic sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm still playing on a 720p TV so I'm really letting the side down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

60FPS and above obviously. Tighter control responsiveness, non-nausiating camera movement, 30fps is passable as long as it has naught a single frame dropped and the game is fairly slow-paced like Silent Hill or some turn-based game. However we've been seeing 30fps locked racing games appearing this generation which is just atrocious.
    I'm still playing on a 720p TV so I'm really letting the side down.

Lower res = more FPS, typically.

A big problem with 30 FPS games is fast camera movements which look atrocious as 30 FPS. A lot of games have to have object blur as a necessity to try and disguise this, film would look awful if it wasn't for the natural motion blur of film. I think it looks awful in games though. No such problems with 60 fps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Shadow of the Colossus wasn't broken for with the frame rate at all, if fact I didn't appreciate it as any kind of flaw until the HD version, and even then more of a M'eh than anything else.
    Similarly the frame rate in Pilotwings 64 was all over the place, didn't matter though, still a wonderfully playable and expansive game, far better than its sequel on the 3DS some 16 odd years later with a great frame rate but with the environment lacking anything like the interest.

I'll take gameplay over frame rate any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

E.g. 50/60Hz games.

The 50/60hz PAL/NTSC difference is not the same as 30/60 fps frame rate comparison though.

Unoptimized 50 hz runs at 17% slower than 60hz. You're talking clock speeds rather than fps. It can completely changes the feel and pace of games. (Try sonic I'm 50hz and then switch it to 60!)

It also affects resolution. 60 hz games look noticeably lower res at full screen whereas 50hz games have boarders squishing the image, but it looks a bit higher res.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll take gameplay over frame rate any day.

But frame rate affects playability and the two games you mention are far better with better framerates, the hd version of sotc and the NTSC version of pilot wings are far better games.

@CiDeRmAn

In regards to older games, they were typically more slower paced and had all calculations tied to FPS. Take Zelda OoT for example, I know it runs well under 30fps but the games native animations and gameplay are slow enough to match it so it's still playable, timeless classic. But if you were to try and play Tekken 6 at Tekken 1's framerate you'd have a really bad experience.

Unlike graphics or resolution, framerate directly effects gameplay, which is what people seem to yell every time technical aspects of games come into conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

@CiDeRmAn

In regards to older games, they were typically more slower paced and had all calculations tied to FPS. Take Zelda OoT for example, I know it runs well under 30fps but the games native animations and gameplay are slow enough to match it so it's still playable, timeless classic. But if you were to try and play Tekken 6 at Tekken 1's framerate you'd have a really bad experience.

Unlike graphics or resolution, framerate directly effects gameplay, which is what people seem to yell every time technical aspects of games come into conversation.

NTSC Tekken 1 and Tekken 6 run at the same frame rate, both 60fps.

Also just to be nitpicking, PAL tv shows are output at 25 fps, Cinema is 24 fps worldwide.

60fps is always the better option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It did not destroy my enjoyment when I reach blighttown in dark souls when frames went to 10fps, Truthfully I hardly noticed or never noticed frame lag till I got to play the fallout 3 dlc where you thhere was mines everything and frames dropped to -00000fps :L

Played last of us 60 and while it controlled better cutscenes looked weird and movement aswell seemed so sped up.
    Even metro 2033 felt weird 60 to me

I dunno what it is about it
    Neo wrote:
    Why do my eyes hurt?
    Morpheus wrote:
    You've never used them before.

;)

@Chris_Heilong

Wow really? It's been many years since I played tekken 1, and I've never emulated it to check its FPS. I suppose it's a fighting game so it would be 60fps, at least outside of EU anyway. Kinda sad that a PS1 game has better FPS than some modern racing games we're seeing.

Animation was still slow as hell, though. Those 10 ft high jumps are hilarious looking back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Apparently James Cameron is thinking of using 60fps for the next avatar movies. Hopefully he does because if it actually looks good that'd instantly make it catch on...tbh, I'm just curious to see what a 60fps movie would look like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

30fps.......brings back memories of my childhood when my parents bought me my first computer, a ZX Spectrum 48K +. Thats what 30fps feels to the master race, only tramps play at such paltry inferior levels. If you don't notice a huge increase in score from higher frame rates, you're just not a bleeding edge gamer like me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Apparently James Cameron is thinking of using 60fps for the next avatar movies. Hopefully he does because if it actually looks good that'd instantly make it catch on...tbh, I'm just curious to see what a 60fps movie would look like

Joking above with richiem above but now that you mention cinema I actually found the exact same thing with the first Hobbit @60fps, couldn't really get used to it. Haven't been anything else at the same frame rate since to see if it is something I could acclimatise to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

marco_polo wrote: »
    Joking above with richiem above but now that you mention cinema I actually found the exact same thing with the first Hobbit @60fps, couldn't really get used to it. Haven't been anything else at the same frame rate since to see if it is something I could acclimatise to.

The hobbit movies are 48fps but I'd say the difference wouldn't be much. I'm the same though, it makes the movies totally different and I can't even remember if that was a good or bad thing. Guess I'll find out when the next one comes out lol

The hobbit movies are 48fps but I'd say the difference wouldn't be much. I'm the same though, it makes the movies totally different and I can't even remember if that was a good or bad thing. Guess I'll find out when the next one comes out lol

Apologies, right you are i just read "not 24fps" :), be interested to see a 60 fps film, although from my one sample I think I am in the old school camp for the time being at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

despite being a games forum I'll fill this in.

a film shot at 60fps unless it is in 3D you wont see any real difference unless they completely balls it up.

if it is viewed in 3D the 3d plains will be more firmly defined as seperate solid layers at 60fps so the 3d effect overall will be much more effective.

this is the reason the hobbit was filmed and screened at 48fps.

James Cameron is really the only filmmaker today I'd trust to push for a 60fps film because he's the only one willing to pay the vastly higher cost (simply higher fps costs more money in film) and also his backgroun engineering means he also will focus very much in building new techniques to handle the extra challenges of 60fps.

So to fill out that complicated reason for 24fps for the curious (if not just skip to the next post)

the reason for 24fps in a cynical fashion is a matter of cost vs result. Prior to sound being introduced most film studios found the cost vs result sweet spot was 18fps, but sound dictated that the fps be increased.

For filmmakers the key issue is a term known as the "dynamic range" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range#Photography) which is essentially the range of light that can be recorded before the image turns totally white or totally black and all detail is lost.

when you increase your fps the dynamic range decreases rapidly requiring filmmakers to do a much more extensive control of the lighting environment to preserve the image. And by control I mean more and more lights to light everything and keep all the elements of the image (background, character etc) in the same area in terms of lighting, as you can imagine a low dynamic range kills contrast and makes things rather flat.

So when 24fps became somewhat the standard range all equipment and techniques are built around providing the best dynamic range for that fps

that is why film was predominantly shot on 35mm as it had each individual frame being capable of taking in more light while still having enough detail on the low end of the range to allow more contrast. Going to larger frames (imax's 70mm) could allow more detail on the high end of the range but required more initial light pumped in as the lower end of the range was much more shorter.

So all filmrolls were designed for specific dynamic ranges to be delivered at a 24fps speed, unless a stock was specifically designed to be shot at a higher fps which was expensive.

All light meters, the lights and lenses and all the tables and graphs that cinematographers have in bulk to help them light their characters and sets (not to mention the make up and the actual prop building itself) are all built with the range in mind that has been built from shooting at 24fps. Shift to a higher fps and suddenly most of that stuff is too weak or too strong and needs to be adjusted, when shooting on film you dont know how that has affected the image until you get rushes the next morning so you are essentially running blind.

Shooting digitally it's still the same problem as the CMOS chip in most cameras today are still designed for giving the best dynamic range at 24fps and increasing the fps still has the same problem with a shrunken dynamic range.

The *TV look* comes because prior to using video cameras most tv productions was shot on 16mm because it was cheaper, but it had a lower dynamic range, it handled low light better but it lost detail quicker when more light was applied. When things went to video they developed a new form of recording images that didnt use a progressive frame rate (instead it used an interlaced frame rate) that still allowed much better low light recording but still weak at the high end of the range.

So the problem with the Hobbit is straightforward, they shot at 48fps greatly shrinking their dynamic range which improved the 3D effects but gave the cinematographer etc much smaller range for lighting characters and scenes thus making the film feel distinctly flatter compared to it's predecessors.

To combat these issues they either need to build cameras with better chips to handle reading light at a higher fps (which I expect from james Cameron) or they need to redesign their entire lighting process to work in a smaller range but still deliver on contrast and depth.

In the end the deeply cynical will see it being simply about money, the less cynical will see that 24fps gives the artist the biggest canvas to work with.

And as you can see none of this has any effect on the same points being laid at video games, there is no dynamic range in video games that is effected by fps so the argument that 30fps is more cinematic is bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

This was only put online yesterday, good timing for this discussion :D:

839988.png

Advertisement