Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bmw Z4 oil

• 16-06-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello,

I just got my 05 Z4 serviced for the first time and the oil was replaced with half synthetic oil. I think iI recall someone saying it should be fully synthetic. Is this something that needs to be changed immediately? :confused:

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Yes. You should go back to the garage and ask them to replace it with the correct oil. What kind of garage did the service, was it a main dealer, independent or a chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 piggly wiggly

Thanks George. It was an independent garage. Bit surprised they could make such a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Get them to sort it out. It is their mistake after all. What oil did they use in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 piggly wiggly

Castrol magnatec 10w 40 part synthetic......he gave me a bit left in the bottom to take home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

According to the Castrol website it should be 0W30

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092

Most Independent Garages haven't a clue or just don't care what they put into your vehicle, you really need to be checking these things yourself and don't be afraid to bring the parts to them yourself and have your homework done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

According to the Castrol website it should be 0W30

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092

Most Independent Garages haven't a clue or just don't care what they put into your vehicle, you really need to be checking these things yourself and don't be afraid to bring the parts to them yourself and have your homework done.

not true...i think you will find that most customers think they are being ripped off because they are being charged anything over €30 for oil... most places now are trying to compete for servicing....and with everyone pricing around to get the best possible price the easiest way to reduce the cost is by using a cheaper oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I always provide the oil to my independent. He's happy because I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

not true...i think you will find that most customers think they are being ripped off because they are being charged anything over €30 for oil... most places now are trying to compete for servicing....and with everyone pricing around to get the best possible price the easiest way to reduce the cost is by using a cheaper oil

Yes it's true because I know what goes on!! Remember I said "most" not "all". I wasn't targeting independent garages either because we all know that dealerships are as bad if not worse!

I blame a lack of education on the car industry in this country because our education system is so focused on producing student "robots" instead of teaching people "real life"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Takes 2 seconds to educate a customer show them castrol website on your phone or their own handbook. That way they know for future reference and everyones happy.

Keeping customers in the dark, just because you think they will go sparko about price doesnt benefit anybody tbh

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Takes 2 seconds to educate a customer show them castrol website on your phone or their own handbook. That way they know for future reference and everyones happy.

Keeping customers in the dark, just because you think they will go sparko about price doesnt benefit anybody tbh

i have customers come into my shop on a daily basis looking for oil and they nearly drop dead when i give thema price of 35 euro for 5-30 fully synth low sap. they usually point at the cheap 10-40 and say can i not use that...or thats what i usually put in. and then when they are paying for it usually say something like its not going to damage my car is it?????.so they want the cheapest low budget oil on the market to put in their lovely brand new 20,000 + cars and want me to stand over it if they have an engine failure lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i have customers come into my shop on a daily basis looking for oil and they nearly drop dead when i give thema price of 35 euro for 5-30 fully synth low sap. they usually point at the cheap 10-40 and say can i not use that...or thats what i usually put in. and then when they are paying for it usually say something like its not going to damage my car is it?????.so they want the cheapest low budget oil on the market to put in their lovely brand new 20,000 + cars and want me to stand over it if they have an engine failure lol

Its up to you to put them straight, after all they come to you for advice. Not saying that people wont always look for bargains. But bad mechanics are ten a penny. Genuine ones with good advice who do the best for your vehicle. Talk through the options and hand over any parts that they have taken out at then end are the ones that survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Terrible attitude man. Any mechanic worth their salt should put the recommended spec oil in the car, and certainly not just throw in cheap oil because they think that's what the customer wants. In fairness.

4L of fully synthetic oil would easily be got for under €30 anyway.

Terrible attitude man. Any mechanic worth their salt should put the recommended spec oil in the car, and certainly not just throw in cheap oil because they think that's what the customer wants. In fairness.

4L of fully synthetic oil would easily be got for under €30 anyway.

its not my attitude...its the customers.... i dont service their cars... i just advise what parts they require for their service. When i tell them how much their oil is they usually end up buying cheap nasty 10-40 instead of the appropriate oil for their cars. like the saying goes....You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink!!!

Advertisement