Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snapped Timing belt Renault Megane Dynamique

• 21-11-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    My wifes renault megane snapped the timing belt. it is a 03 78kmiles.
    I know it would probaly cost around €1200 depending on damage to the engine to get this fixed I'm just guessing. I'm certain its the timing belt I took the part off to expose the belt, and its snapped.
    We are in no major hurry to get this fixed with samll funds available to repair it.. Is it feasible for a non mechanic to fix this. I have Haynes manual and a friend mechanic who has no issue answering the phone but lives down the country.
    I have basic skills and can strip the engine but is it a bridge too far for a DIYer.
    Will I need any renault special tools or will a good standard toolbox do which I have.
    Whats it worth now? SWEET F A

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If you can strip an engine you can probably repair the damage. You'll need to diagnose the cause of the cambelt failure - worn belt, worn tensioner, seized pulley or waterpump? The main problem is replacing the damaged valves - could be anywhere from 8 to 12 ruined. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You should definitely do it! The way i look at it the engine is all ready fecked, you cant make it worse.

Do you have some where indoors to work on it? It's probably going to take about 10 hours, as it's your first time.

Your going to need a good breaker bar for the head bolts, angle tightening gauge and torque wrench. As well as the usual basic tools.

There's a tiny chance there's no damage to the engine, pop a belt on and check the compression.

Make sure to change the water pump and idler when your doing it. The lads here will give you advice also.

Take your time, make sure you've room to layout all the bits. Lots of cloths, kitchen roll and some of the finest wet and dry paper you can find...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

As far as I know, those Megane's have a freewheeling crank pulley. If I'm right, you will need a timing kit to time the engine properly.

Also, I'd get an engine shop to replace and lap in the new valves into the head. If you do this yourself and get it wrong, you will get no compression and an engine that won't start. If you get the rest of the job right, it will be worth the pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

What engine has it? Could it be one of the old 8 valve units? If so just pop on a belt (as suggested by DD) and see if it works before you do anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

my 04 megane 1.5dci broke the belt and done it the piston,valves, camshaft etc so would have had to get the head done up but was costing too much so purchased a secondhand engine as cheaper...
    very soft engine in these meganes but i hope your lucky and has done no major damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

How much does it cost to get a timing belt changed on a megane? When do you know if it needs to be changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    How much does it cost to get a timing belt changed on a megane? When do you know if it needs to be changed?

The book will tell you the mileage it should be changed at. Regardless of mileage if the belt is years old it should be changed (it'll say that in the book too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

You'd be better off to shop around for a second hand engine. Once the head comes off you're talking about getting it skimmed, gaskets and timing belt kit which will cost around €400. Not to mention any other damaged thats been done. If there's bent valves and damaged seats/guides it'll cost around €500 to get the head refurbished. Plus you could have damaged pistons. You should get a second hand engine for around €300/400. Save yourself alot of time and heartache. If you get a second hand engine make sure you put a timing belt on it before fitting to the car.

IMO it would still be worth him pulling the head from the car and bringing it to the likes of Dan Daily for an estimate on the damage to it. If they say its toast then source a second hand engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

Yes I agree. No harm in having a look first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

Great, thanks for the replys. I'll give it a go at the weekend and update.
    Fingers crossed
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If you do need a new engine Traynors up North will no doubt have one.

hey all,

Update on the megane. I stripped it back freezing as I was in the shed and its not totally bad news, Pistons are ok none look cracked and look ok just uniform indentations across them all...
    I brought it to Dan Daly and he says it'll need 6 exhausts 4 intakes 104 euro and 100 labour plus 150 for a timing belt kit including water pump.

It'll be some job putting it all back together cos it was hard taking it apart. Knuckles wil never be the same.

Not bad all in and hopefully all will go well.... Good expierience so far and hopefully it'll be back on he road soon...

I have the haynes manual and will service it too.

Cheers for the advice

Not bad going, make sure the block is nice and clean before you reassmble. You can use extremely fine wet and try on it to almost poloish the finish.

Not back to be back on the road for €350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Have you the correct locking tools to set the timing?

I don't have any timing tools..

I got the head back from Dan's place, Mark Daly. Can't recommend these guys enough, very helpful with details and what to watch out for as regards timing.... and the head looks brand new

I'll be studying the haynes manual and will look into borrowing or if needs be buying a set of timing tools...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

gizajob wrote: »
    I don't have any timing tools..

I got the head back from Dan's place, Mark Daly. Can't recommend these guys enough, very helpful with details and what to watch out for as regards timing.... and the head looks brand new

I'll be studying the haynes manual and will look into borrowing or if needs be buying a set of timing tools...

They are over €100 for the cheapest locking tool set, quite alot for a single use..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 murraypjm

i read your tread and wonder how the car turned out, mine has just snapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you plan to do the job yourself like OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably due another timing belt change now 3 years on. :pac:

• Advertisement

Worked out ok, car still goin, I would recommend dan daly in Ashbourne once you have the head off. . You'll need special timing tools and torque bar to put it back together. I managed to borrow those. Most pf the other tools sockets etc i already had. Its a hell of a job and i wouldnt tackle it so quick again even with the experience. I had a good bit of help from a cousin in the trade, I doubt without his help I could have finished it but it was worth doing myself.

A mechanic friend of mine will, the extent of the damage has yet to be checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

gizajob wrote: »
    Worked out ok, car still goin, I would recommend dan daly in Ashbourne once you have the head off. . You'll need special timing tools and torque bar to put it back together. I managed to borrow those. Most pf the other tools sockets etc i already had. Its a hell of a job and i wouldnt tackle it so quick again even with the experience. I had a good bit of help from a cousin in the trade, I doubt without his help I could have finished it but it was worth doing myself.

I thought he was beside the country club in Dunshaughlin.... :confused:

well the head has been taken off and there are 7 bent valves, it is now at Donnellans Lanesboro for repair, They are a long established family company with a reputation for quality work,

am getting the head totally refurbished, all new valves ect, no point pegging good money after bad

Got all valves replaced, head fully refurbished, head set and new bolts, cost €495, was the safest option, NOW CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT EVERY 4 YEARS OR 60K WHICHEVER COMES FIRST!

Advertisement