Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What basics do you need when the baby is born and when should you buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

jmbkay wrote: »
    Baby walkers? No. Dangerous. Theyre like giving baby a car. No baby needs them to learn how to walk. Moses baskets? not really necessary, as there only used for a very little time. But, of course, its up to the parents.

baby walkers - I remember reading about different devices for helping babies walk and about an adult holding their hands while they are attempting to do it themselves. Basically the general idea was that for actual walking they are both useless things to do(well, maybe only as a play thing) because the centre of gravity is not in the same place as when the child is trying to walk properly.

If somebody gifted me with a pretty Moses basket I'd use it, but I decided not to buy it - they are expensive :(

I have a question about muslin squares: what are they actually for?? Are they like small towels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ah lads, ye are all freaking me out here! I'm 14 wks and haven't even thought about buying anything yet. I was thinking of going shopping over the border after Christmas and getting the buggy/travel system/spaceship and maybe a moses basket and/or cot. Looks like I need to do some research.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

deemark wrote: »
    Ah lads, ye are all freaking me out here! I'm 14 wks and haven't even thought about buying anything yet. I was thinking of going shopping over the border after Christmas and getting the buggy/travel system/spaceship and maybe a moses basket and/or cot. Looks like I need to do some research.....

you can get some 2nd hand stuff if you don't mind this sort of thing. I got 3 buggies and a mothercare cot out of the skip. (well, not quite out of the skip. these items got intercepted on the way to the skip and are going to be put to good use now).

Also got a massive bag of baby clothes (most designer stuff :eek:) from a girl who was gonna get rid of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I think Muslin Squares are pretty much just spit/puke rags!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just out of curiousity- what are they supposed to be for?
    I used to use a series of them as a rudimentary filtration system at one time for making crab apple jelly jam.......?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I used tea towels or whatever old tee shirt was handy.

smcarrick- you need to put something over your shoulder when you are burping the baby to catch the spit up.

Yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ebmma wrote: »
    I have a question about muslin squares: what are they actually for?? Are they like small towels?

Pretty much, they are puke, spit, drool and food catchers.
    You could just use baby wipes but you will got through a lot of wipes,
    where as a bundle of them can be thrown in the machine and stuck on a rad to dry for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

I used tea towels or whatever old tee shirt was handy.

smcarrick- you need to put something over your shoulder when you are burping the baby to catch the spit up.

Yuck.

I saw a friend use a sheet of kitchen roll for this. Not sure if that'd be enough sometimes... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Please don't get a baby walker...they can be very dangerous!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Can you even get them anymore?

The thing on the last page is a static play seat and doesn't have wheels.

Dunno why anyone would want to make their baby more mobile, I'd see it as a good thing to be able to leave baby on a playmat and be able to turn my back for 30 seconds. You don't get that for long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MaryFMOR

Very little.

you get a list from the hospital that includes baby vests, baby grows, cardigan etc.

Other than these few basics there's not very much.

I am very superstitious anyway about buying anything before baby comes along
    so even buying these few basics killed me.

And of course a car seat to get the baby home in.

After that I didn't get much else until I got home from the hospital.

Because I was breast feeding I had the baby in the bed along side me so there was no need for a cot.

I did however need a cradle for the baby to sleep in during the day.

Advertisement