Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

braces. HELP!!!

Options
  • 23-01-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am 14 years old and I have a over bite of 8mm, i want to get braces really bad but there are too dear for parents to afford.Can you get them on a medical card? Or am I entitled to free braces, i know of people who got free braces but they dont know how they got them, i rang my local clinic to see if i could get them but they said i couldnt get them free, i would have to go on a waiting list??? PLEASE give me suggestions on what to do, they are badly needed, Thanks for your time
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

I think if you're bad enough you will be put on the waiting list. I don't know what the criteria are either though. I think it has to be pretty bad. You'll probably be waiting a long while even if they are bad enough.
    Orthodontic treatment
    The HSE provides free orthodontic treatment for those patients with the most severe orthodontic problems. The criteria used to decide whether a child qualifies for treatment in the HSE is determined by eligibility guidelines based on an international grading system called the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need.

HSE dental surgeons are trained in the guidelines for eligibility and so can advise and refer you to the local HSE orthodontic unit for assessment if the problem is sufficiently severe. The types of orthodontic problems that qualify under the guidelines include front teeth that are buried and fail to emerge, multiple missing teeth, very prominent front teeth or severe problems with the bite or jaw development.

Contact your local health centre to find out if you qualify.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/2/healthcentres/

Advertisement